Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Dnx7100 Kenwood All In One Special Forum Price

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just touching base with the original subjact of this thread...

price is now $1069.95 shipped.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

qtn2x,

I would report the problem you describe to "support@Kenwood" (of course, not the real address, but you get the idea). You said you called them, but I would also send e-mail or a letter so they have a referenced source of your complaint/suggestion. Crutchfield isn't the the place to ask this question or report the complaint. Crutchfield is an authorized reseller who wants to provide the unit to its customers.

It appears that the Kenwood DNX7100's application software uses a simple b-tree directory. That means the unit's application software supports 256 (root + 255 folders or files) addresses on the directory's main level with the ability to drill down 254 levels (root + folders + files) on each of the main directories. That is certainly more than adequate storage (something over 65K levels).

Since no else is complaining (at least on this Forum) about performance displaying the directories and files, Kenwood will have little incentive to change this (enhance the application software). In fact, some might consider the incremental display as advantageous while scrolling music lists and also driving the car (i.e., reading lists while "in motion"). I understand from your message that you tested on different devices, but that doesn't rule-out a specific problem with your technique of creating/burning disks that may or may not be optimized for a specific device.

My point: The hardware is stable. Making the change/enhancement you recommend is an application software modification. Kenwood accomplishes this by redesigning the application software and providing an update that flashes the ROM inside the unit.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-22-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM
qtn2x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike,

I agree. I have no doubt that Kenwood can design it better, I'm sure it can do anything, I'm just trying to figure out as to why it was designed like that. I'm sure there are reasons for it and yours might be one of the reasons.
I'm hoping the reasons it's reading slow is due to:
1) it uses enhanced graphics/animation to display each song
2) it extracts all ID3 tags and other info of the song right then instead of only obtaining it when playing the song.
So, I'm hoping that I can turn off those 2 options somewhere to make it list the file names faster, but I haven't found the option yet.

If anyone who owns the unit can find a solution to this or find better way of burning the MP3s, please let us know.

qtn2x
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM
MadZkill

The DNX-7100 ROCKS! Forget about burning MP3 to a DVD. Just get a iPod and your set. Works great with the iPod.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by qtn2x
Spike,

I agree. I have no doubt that Kenwood can design it better, I'm sure it can do anything, I'm just trying to figure out as to why it was designed like that. I'm sure there are reasons for it and yours might be one of the reasons.
I'm hoping the reasons it's reading slow is due to:
1) it uses enhanced graphics/animation to display each song
2) it extracts all ID3 tags and other info of the song right then instead of only obtaining it when playing the song.
So, I'm hoping that I can turn off those 2 options somewhere to make it list the file names faster, but I haven't found the option yet.

If anyone who owns the unit can find a solution to this or find better way of burning the MP3s, please let us know.

qtn2x
I agree (and, good post with useful information). Users who burn DVD's with a simple directory and not that many files probably won't see the problem you are reporting. The device's operation/file-display (that you describe) would be very annoying to a user (as yourself) who wants to create a more complicated directory that organizes lots of files. If this is a "feature," the unit should certainly offer an alternative (the ability to switch to "Explorer" mode where you can quickly navigate the directory and drill-down to any file within a second or two). The hardware is certainly capable of doing this. It is simply an application software design-issue.

I read the message above mine...
Originally Posted by MadZkill
The DNX-7100 ROCKS! Forget about burning MP3 to a DVD. Just get a iPod and your set. Works great with the iPod.
...but I do not consider this a solution for someone who also wants to use the DNX-7100's burned-DVD feature.

I don't own this device, so I cannot offer anything more than guesses , which is not what you need. I agree with your statement: "If anyone who owns the unit can find a solution to this or find better way of burning the MP3s, please let us know." There must be another Forum member who has hit this. I also would like to hear from them. I also wonder if this is the case with other Kenwood devices.

--Spike
Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 PM
THE TECH

The Ipod hookup is good, but not great. You still have to raise the volume more on the Ipod than you would the radio or cd. I haven't tried an mp3 disc yet since my 80GB Ipod has all my music on it.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THE TECH
The Ipod hookup is good, but not great. You still have to raise the volume more on the Ipod than you would the radio or cd. I haven't tried an mp3 disc yet since my 80GB Ipod has all my music on it.
Tech,

Good to know (thanks for the info). So... there is no adjustment in the DNX-7100 to handle volume levels when connecting various external devices (i.e., an iPod)? In other words; if you toggle the unit between Radio, DVD/CD, and iPod --you also must adjust the volume?

--Spike
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by Spike100
Tech,

Good to know (thanks for the info). So... there is no adjustment in the DNX-7100 to handle volume levels when connecting various external devices (i.e., an iPod)? In other words; if you toggle the unit between Radio, DVD/CD, and iPod --you also must adjust the volume?

--Spike
I adjust between songs anyway, so I can't say for sure there is an issue when changing devices. I just know that when using the Ipod the volume must be higher than with the built-in devices.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
qtn2x

Does anyone know how to let DNX7100 display album art when playing mp3s from a USB flash drive? I used both windows media and Tag&Rename to edit ID3 tags with embedded album art but it still says "no photo" when playing the mp3 file. If you have the unit and got it to display please let me know.

Thanks,

qtn2x
Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tech,

--Spike
Each source has its own independent volume, which can be adjusted so all of the sources match when you switch between them.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:33 PM
MadZkill

Does anybody know how to upload backgrounds? I have the USB drive hooked up but it just says no music found. I have pic's loaded too it.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Each source has its own independent volume, which can be adjusted so all of the sources match when you switch between them.
Thanks Mando. Looks as though the "problem" I was guessing at isn't a problem at all. My Clarion allows setting "gain" on input devices to handle this, but I get what you are saying.

This Kenwood device really looks like a solid piece of equipment.

Any thoughts about the recent post by someone who was having a performance problem navigating directories?

--Spike
Old 05-25-2007, 09:31 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by MadZkill
Does anybody know how to upload backgrounds? I have the USB drive hooked up but it just says no music found. I have pic's loaded too it.
The instruction manual tells you exactly how to do it.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 PM
THE TECH

I wished this unit had track controls on the unit itself like my DDX-8017 did. I don't wanna have to use the touchscreen for everything, especially when I'm driving.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I wished this unit had track controls on the unit itself like my DDX-8017 did. I don't wanna have to use the touchscreen for everything, especially when I'm driving.
Tech,

I agree completely. My (the following) comments are not directed at the DNX-7100 since I am not using this (what appears to be) wonderful device. I am talking about touch-screens in general.

I think a device (even if it is touch-screen) should have buttons to operate the frequently used features. For example, a navigation device should have zoom IN and OUT buttons (along with the "+" and "-" touch-screen operational areas). Why? Because always pressing the same spots on a touch-screen results in a "smudged-up area" on the screen requiring frequent cleaning.

And, as you point out, track-control buttons would be very useful on any double-din touchscreen device. It makes no difference how esoteric the button-functions are since you can always hit the touch-screen representative area. But, having the buttons is a big plus IMO.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-25-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 PM
qtn2x

Does anyone know how to let DNX7100 display album art when playing mp3s from a USB flash drive? I used both windows media and Tag&Rename to edit ID3 tags with embedded album art but it still says "no photo" when playing the mp3 file. If you have the unit and got it to display please let me know.

Thanks,

qtn2x
Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
EricTX

Eric, I think my response to Dave (above) answers your question. Here is some additional information (the laundry list of whatyou need to update Garmin OEM devices):

1) An internet connection (which you obviously already have since you are posting here )

2) SanDisk reader This is a $50 device that uses a USB connector to attach to your home computer. Most (but not all) SanDisk readers come with 4 different sized slots. Kenwood and Garmin use the slot labelled "SD." The other slots (if they are there) are labelled "CF," "CM," and "MS." You don't use these slots with Garmin or Kenwood GPS devices.

3) SD card This is a tiny card. If you have a digital camera, you may already have a SD card. Although the ROM (Read Only Memory) chip in the Kenwood and Garmin GPS devices is 2 GB, the updates are much smaller than this. A 1 GB SD card is plenty to do an update.

When you download an update from Garmin's website, the download includes step-by-step instructions (which are easy to follow). Basically you download the update and its instructions using the link I posted in my above response to Dave. The download is sent to the HD on your home computer. Then you connect your SanDisk reader to your computer, insert an SD disk into the SanDisk reader, copy the file to the SD disk, insert the SD disk into the SD slot of your Kenwood/Garmin GPS device, and the disk automatically updates the ROM chip in your GPS.

I believe the software update feature you get with Kenwood (and Garmin which is the OEM supplier for Kenwood) provides significant advantages:

1) Co$t The update on my Garmin GVN 52 (same as the Kenwood KNA-G510 and Kenwood DNX-7100 GPS) was free. That is not the case when updating Pioneer, Eclipse, and other DVD based GPS devices. Maunfacturers of DVD based GPS devices sell the updates for a fee.

2) Timeline Updating maps and application software using a website is instantaneous (ok... maybe 10 minutes at the most), and you do this on line. Updating DVD based GPS devices requires ordering a new DVD and waiting for physical delivery of a disk. That is slowww.

And something else to consider. Which arrangement sounds better?

1) A totally digital GPS device (with no moving parts) that has its maps and application software loaded on a ROM chip where they are always instantly available. Example is Kenwood GPS devices.

2) A mechanical device (i.e., DVD player or HD) with lots of moving parts requiring disk reads to load pertinent data and application software into RAM. Yes, once the data and application software is read from disk and placed into RAM, performance is good. But the disadvantage is the initial read from the disk and the time it takes doing this. Examples are Pioneer and Eclipse.

--Spike
Freaking awesome! thank you
Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 PM
K2`

so is the 7100 a GVN52 .. or do we use the updates for the G510? cuz both versions are different?

If we have a 7100, is it already up to date with the latest ones? or do we need to do these updates? how do i check which one i have?

Yes. There is a download area on Garmin's website. This is the link:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

You can scroll through the update list here. Currently there are updates for the Garmin GVN 52 and the Kenwood KNA-G510 (newest ones are January2007). It's been 3 or 4 months since I did this, but as I remember you follow these steps:

1) Select your device from the list and download the update to your computer's HD.

2) Connect a SD reader (an inexpensive USB device) to your computer, insert a SD card into the reader, and copy the update file to a SD card.

3) Remove the SD card from the SD reader, and insert the SD card into the SD slot of the Kenwood or Garmin GPS in your car.

The update happens automatically, and you see its progress on your navigation screen. When the update is complete, your navigation screen tells you to remove the SD card.

It's that easy. It took me less than 10 minutes to do the entire process.

The January 2007 update contains a NAVTEQ map update (new streets in new subdivisions in several cities) and new application software (most significantly is sharper text on the maps).

--Spike
Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by K2`
so is the 7100 a GVN52 .. or do we use the updates for the G510? cuz both versions are different?

If we have a 7100, is it already up to date with the latest ones? or do we need to do these updates? how do i check which one i have?
There are no updates for the 7100.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way the 7100 has been flying off the shelves, If you have a dealer who just got them in stock, You propably have the latest version.

If it was sutting on th eshelf for a long time, Highly doubtfull... then you would have the old version.

I just got them back in stock $1069.95 Shipped.

I also have a handfull of Video I-Pod adapters just came in today $30 each with 7100 units only.

Last edited by Nazar; 06-13-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: New Dnx7100 Kenwood All In One Special Forum Price