Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Dnx7100 Kenwood All In One Special Forum Price

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
VENTURE7O7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

is this deal still available? also, does it come with a manufacture warranty and is there an extended warranty available as well? and what model ipod adapter are you selling for $30.00?

thanks, mark
Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VENTURE7O7
is this deal still available? also, does it come with a manufacture warranty and is there an extended warranty available as well? and what model ipod adapter are you selling for $30.00?

thanks, mark
I have it available, Still the same deal.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazar
I have it available, Still the same deal.
Ordered mine today.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Ordered mine today.
You should enjoy it.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You should enjoy it.
Special thanks to you and Spike100 for answering my questions recently.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Special thanks to you and Spike100 for answering my questions recently.
NP, anytime.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 AM
japbeercow

I just helped my friend install a panasonic strada in his xterra today. Finding the vehicle speed sensor wire was really a pain. I am looking into one of these kenwood units and I was wondering why the kenwood doesn't require a vss signal? Does it use satellite to constantly figure speed and update gps?

Also was wondering if this unit had an option to mute music when giving navigation directions? Any comparison of the audio quality compared to other nav units?

Last edited by japbeercow; 08-12-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by japbeercow
I just helped my friend install a panasonic strada in his xterra today. Finding the vehicle speed sensor wire was really a pain. I am looking into one of these kenwood units and I was wondering why the kenwood doesn't require a vss signal? Does it use satellite to constantly figure speed and update gps?

Also was wondering if this unit had an option to mute music when giving navigation directions? Any comparison of the audio quality compared to other nav units?
The reason the Kenwood DNX-7100 does not need or use a spped pulse wire is because it uses WAAS technology. WAAS stands for Wide Area Augmentation System which is a system of satellites and ground stations that provides GPS signal corrections, providing better position accuracy. The system consist of 25 reference stations positioned around the U.S. They monitor Satellite accuracy and send corrected information to two master stations that send the corrected info up to the satellites. This brings the GPS accuracy to less than 3 meters. Uncorrected GPS is about 15 meters. This unit will also mute the music if you set it up that way.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I just helped my friend install a panasonic strada in his xterra today. Finding the vehicle speed sensor wire was really a pain. I am looking into one of these kenwood units and I was wondering why the kenwood doesn't require a vss signal? Does it use satellite to constantly figure speed and update gps? ...
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (hereafter referred to as VSS) attaches to compliant devises using a wire that sends a series of pulses, anywhere from 800 to just over 1,000 per mile, and sends these pulses only when the car is in motion. It's very accurate.

What is a VSS?
In automobiles (and, the function is different in boats and ships) the VSS provides this information:
1) The speed at which the vehicle is moving.
2) Whether or not the vehicle is standing still or moving.

Why have a VSS?
There are many potential advantages (and maybe disadvantages) for VSS.
1) The VSS can connect to a car's "data-box," and the device can save and report speed. For example if you are involved in a car crash, and your car has a "data-box" connected to the VSS wire; the investigators could possibly determine the car's speed at the moment (or before this) of the crash. Yes, some cars now come with a "data-box."
2) Product liability is an important issue, and a VSS can help a manufacturer avoid law suits. For example, if you have a GPS car device, the manufacturer could require connection to the VSS so that access to certain operations (i.e., inputting data) is not possible while the car is in motion (much like the Parking Brake Sensor). If you choose to bypass this feature, the manufacturer is possibly "off the hook."
3) VSS supports "dead reckoning." This is a feature allowing a GPS to continue functioning when there is a loss of satellite contact. When your GPS does lose satellite contact (e.g., you are in a city with tall buildings, driving through a tunnel, etc.,) the VSS in combination with your GPS's device/software attempts (and usually accurately) to maintain your location.

Is a VSS connection useful?
Probably not... here is why I say this:
1) Do you really want "Big Brother" watching you?
2) If you have a GPS connected to VSS and want it to provide dead reckoning, it's only accurate if you are driving on the "expected course." Otherwise, VSS will return a bogus position. Notice that some high-end GPS units for cars do not require connecting to a VSS.

About WAAS... It certainly gives you a more accurate position, but WAAS is not significant when calculating your car's speed.

--Spike
Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
The reason the Kenwood DNX-7100 does not need or use a spped pulse wire is because it uses WAAS technology. WAAS stands for Wide Area Augmentation System which is a system of satellites and ground stations that provides GPS signal corrections, providing better position accuracy. The system consist of 25 reference stations positioned around the U.S. They monitor Satellite accuracy and send corrected information to two master stations that send the corrected info up to the satellites. This brings the GPS accuracy to less than 3 meters. Uncorrected GPS is about 15 meters. This unit will also mute the music if you set it up that way.
I would point out that WAAS provides a significant improvement when determining position, but makes little difference when calculating MPH.

--Spike
Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM
5ZVP

Any comparison of the audio quality compared to other nav units?
I assume you are referring to the audio commands of the 7100 and not the overall audio quality, i.e. radio, cd player etc.

I also have a 06 Acura TL and I think the voice commands on the Acura sound more natural (human speech as oppose to computer). Once other difference is that this unit will actually try to pronounce the name of the street whereas the Acura will say "take the next turn" without actually saying the street name.

Bottom line IMO 7100 audio is fine.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by 5ZVP
I assume you are referring to the audio commands of the 7100 and not the overall audio quality, i.e. radio, cd player etc.

I also have a 06 Acura TL and I think the voice commands on the Acura sound more natural (human speech as oppose to computer). Once other difference is that this unit will actually try to pronounce the name of the street whereas the Acura will say "take the next turn" without actually saying the street name.

Bottom line IMO 7100 audio is fine.
The Kenwood DNX 7100 does it both ways. It has a menu setting where you can configure the voice commands. You have two choices, text-to-speach (TTS) and pre-recorded.

The text-to-speach (TTS) voices "read" and "speak" the same words displayed on the screen. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and pronounce driving directions and the street names as you approach turns. The voices are computer-generated. Although it is clear and easily understood, it sounds like a "computer voice."

Pre-recorded voices have a limited vocabulary and do not speak the names of locations or streets. The voice is so natural you think someone else is in the car.

It's a nice feature (more natural vs. more detailed). I'm impressed with the rich-set of settings the Kenwood DNX 7100 provides.

--Spike
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
5ZVP

Originally Posted by Spike100
I'm impressed with the rich-set of settings the Kenwood DNX 7100 provides.

--Spike
+1
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Spike100

I've been using GPS devices for many years now. The early units had no maps (you had to enter and use coordinates), and operating the device required a good understanding of navigation and the esoteric features of these early units. This is no longer the case. Modern GPS devices sold for cars come with preloaded maps and application software reading the data and making operation "dead simple."

When comparing GPS devices, the Kenwood DNX 7100 is probably the best you can buy.

NOTE: This unit is identical in function to the Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Box sending output to a compatible screen (e.g., Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor), or the Garmin GVN52 with any LCD monitor (the Garmin solution does not support touch-screen, but Kenwood does).

Anyway, and by any measure, the Kenwood DNX 7100 (or Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Box with a compatible screen) is the best choice for navigation in the Z. Here's why:

1) Data Maps
Kenwood uses NAVTEQ maps. This is the most complete and accurate map database for North America (USA and Canada).

2) Application Software
Garmin is the OEM supplier for Kenwood. If you are familiar with Garmin's GPS application software, you appreciate this advantage. Garmin application software does auto-zoom (always keeping the target on-screen), background-inversion (for better display and visibility that automatically switches depending upon the time-of-day... daylight or nightime), and many other superior functions.

3) Performance
The Kenwood DNX 7100 stores its data in ROM and uses a SD card for updates. This device never depends upon a slower DVD disk for function or updates.

4) Updates (map and application software updates)
Kenwood supports Internet updates (data and application software updates). That's a significant advantage. You can get the update immediately (using a SD reader) instead of waiting for slow delivery of a DVD that you pay (a lot) for.

--Spike
Old 08-15-2007, 03:27 PM
5ZVP

I agree with Spike100 the DNX7100 is a very good gps unit. This is based on my experience between the DNX7100 and the 06 stock Acura TL gps. Both are very good units but I think I like the DNX7100 better.

However (playing the devil advocate) here are the things I don't like about the DNX7100:

1. Menu and Options
The menus are complicated and not very intuitive. This may be due to the DNX7100 being so feature rich but it makes "learning' the unit very difficult. One example of this is there are 3 different menus that can adjust the volume of the gps commands

2. User interface
The layout of the various screens on the unit can be greatly improved. Some screens are too cluttered and while others are almost empty. Some screens provide provide a row of button for various options but some of the buttons are blank. Remember these are virtual button on a screen - very unprofessional probably due to lazy programmers.

3. USB connection
While this is one of my favorite features of this unit because it lets me play music through my flash drive. The user interface is only so so. Also the 250 file limitation is a pain (see previous discussions on this thread).

4. Bluetooth
This isn't really a problem with DNX7100 because it is a Kenwood add on, BT100 but hey to me it is one system. The Bt sound quality works fine. I guess this is another user interface problem. The interface is not very intuitive and requires too many key strokes to work the features. For example to access the address book to dialing the number. I also wish there was voice recognition. Also cannot get my steering control unit to work with the BT, again not a DNX7100 problem per se.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Spike100

^^ Wow!... Just a great post and useful message... obviously you understand.

I would like to respond, and it is not my intention to argue or debate your very accurate posting. I include quotes from your message only for clarity and to make my response more clear.

re>"1. Menu and Options
The menus are complicated and not very intuitive. This may be due to the DNX7100 being so feature rich but it makes "learning' the unit very difficult. One example of this is there are 3 different menus that can adjust the volume of the gps commands"

I don't agree, and here is why I say this: From an application programming point, the issue is making the device very flexible (so it handles just about any user preference) while keeping it "user friendly." I can tell you that is a difficult stance. The idea was to provide many user preferences (zoom-options, map-display, field selection, etc.). The menu also allows going to a "standard" display (reset) by simply selecting this option that takes the user to a setup that 99.99% of users would select.

re> 2. User interface
The layout of the various screens on the unit can be greatly improved. Some screens are too cluttered and while others are almost empty. Some screens provide provide a row of button for various options but some of the buttons are blank. Remember these are virtual button on a screen - very unprofessional probably due to lazy programmers.

Ouch!... I'm not a "lazy programmer." The DNX 7100's user interface allows just about any custom arrangement the user wants. See above.

re> 3. USB connection
While this is one of my favorite features of this unit because it lets me play music through my flash drive. The user interface is only so so. Also the 250 file limitation is a pain (see previous discussions on this thread).

Not sure why you are hitting the 256 limit here since the DNX 7100's directory can support something like 79,000+ directories and files.

re> 4. Bluetooth
This isn't really a problem with DNX7100 because it is a Kenwood add on, BT100 but hey to me it is one system. The Bt sound quality works fine. I guess this is another user interface problem. The interface is not very intuitive and requires too many key strokes to work the features. For example to access the address book to dialing the number. I also wish there was voice recognition. Also cannot get my steering control unit to work with the BT, again not a DNX7100 problem per se.

I cannot offer any comments here since I have no experience. Hopefully someone else can provide some useful advice and comments.

--Spike
Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
sanf

guys, i am installing the dnx7100 for my friend. everything is connected correctly. but for some reason, the system will not turn on. the only thing it will do is screen fold down and eject cd. any info would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks ~
Old 09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
themadhatterxxx

Ordered mines today!! Thanx Nazar...Matt was great to deal with, hope it comes in tommorow!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 AM
JRinTXrog

I am not real smart about all the electronics. My queston is, when you need to update the software or hook the ipod up to it, where are the connections? Do you leave them dangling behind the console? Is there a connection on the front of the unit? You said you could hook Sirius up to it for about $100.00. What receiver and cables would be needed?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

For updates, there is a SD memory card slot behind the screen, below the CD/DVD slot.

The iPod and USB cables - I drilled a hole in the back of my cubby and ran the cables into it. They are only about 2-3' long so I'm not sure where else you would be able to run them and have the out of the way, clean and secure.

I got the XM addon for $100 so I assume the same is available for Sirius. My kit came with cables but I had to get a longer one so I could put the adapter and XM tuner behind the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: New Dnx7100 Kenwood All In One Special Forum Price