Old 06-13-2007, 07:18 AM
edchoy02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
There are no updates for the 7100.
There is a new software update available:
http://www8.garmin.com/products/kenwood/
Software version 2.40 dated 5/24/07

Instructions are included with the file but they did not work for me. It calls for creating a folder named "garmin" in the sd card then unzipping the update file into the file then inserting the sd card into the DNX7100. When I did this nothing happened. So instead I unzipped the file directly into the sd card's root directory (i.e. did not create the "garmin" folder" Then it took. Done.

One other note instructions step #9 says that the NAVI will ask if you would like to update software. Well, my unit never asked. As soon as I insert the sd card it automatically updated the software.

Hope that helps and that it will save someone some time.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by edchoy02
There is a new software update available:
Software version 2.40 dated 5/24/07

Instructions are included with the file but they did not work for me. It calls for creating a folder named "garmin" in the sd card then unzipping the update file into the file then inserting the sd card into the DNX7100. When I did this nothing happened. So instead I unzipped the file directly into the sd card's root directory (i.e. did not create the "garmin" folder" Then it took. Done.

One other note instructions step #9 says that the NAVI will ask if you would like to update software. Well, my unit never asked. As soon as I insert the sd card it automatically updated the software.

Hope that helps and that it will save someone some time.
From what THEDUKE has posted, he said there were no updates. Since he works for Kenwood, I was just going off of that.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

TECH,

The link edchoy02 posts...

...does in fact offer an update for Kenwood DNX-7100 (North America). The update is described as "DNX 7100 Ver. 2.40 as of May 24, 2007. "The "clickable" link on this window is labeled "Software Updates." There is no charge/fee for this update, so I assume this is an application update that provides better functions (maybe better font display and other application improvements) but does not provide newer NAVTEQ maps.

There is another link on this window "Order Map Updates" which takes you to an order site where you pay a fee (SD data card, City Navigator NT, North America,Part Number: 010-10679-00, Suggested Retail Price: $ 139.99 USD).

So far, I've been able to download software improvements (the main enhancement is better font display) for my Garmin GVN52 (same for Kenwood KNA G510) by going to this site...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

...where I downloaded new and better application software for my Garmin GVN52 "blackbox" device, and also receive newer NAVTEQ maps. But, these upates are older (JAN 2007).

I'm just wondering what the policy is now in place for Kenwood devices (OEM is Garmin) vs. the Garmin devices.

1) I assume the application software improvements come to us free (at least for now), but: Do we pay more if it is a Kenwood product for NAVTEQ map updates vs. Garmin updates?

2) Will Kenwood realign the KNA G510 and the DNX-7100 so these two products (that have nearly identical components) share the same rules and costs for updates?

I should also mention that I and other members on this Forum appreciate your (THE TECH and THEDUKE) advice and participation. You guys are just a great resource.

--Spike
Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems that there is an update for the DNX7100. It seems Garmin decided not to make Kenwood aware of this. Either way the software updates will always be free, but the mapping updates will have a fee. It is advised to first look at the update list and see if there are any updates in you specific area before you purchase your map updates. Just because there are map updates does not mean there are any in your specific area. Also FYI from what I have been told the 510 and GVN52 software updates will not work on the DNX7100 even though they are pretty much the same brain unit. Someone might what to try and verify this.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I would think that a software support contract users could purchase would be appropriate and advantageous for both the client and Garmin (aka Kenwood). This way the user receives the most current software and mapping data. Kenwood (OEM Garmin) already provides a nearly instantaneous update, so that problem is already solved. Kenwood only needs to tell users how to do the updates.

--Spike
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
edchoy02

Also the link for the map update take you to a page that does not make sense.
1. When you go to the order map update page it does not show what version of the update is available. There is only a sku # when you click on the "version" tab. Without the version # how do you know if you need it.

2.Under the version tab it says that the updates are only available from authorized dealers however there is also a link to adds the update to the shopping cart. Which is it?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM
giu

8019 plays DVD Audio...

this unit and the 7019... do it too??
Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 PM
dynosmith

Guys, I have just installed a 7100 with camera and bluetooth. I have everything but the camera working - is there something you have to do on the head unit to enable the camera? I have verified 12v, ground and 12v when in Reverse - it all checked out perfect. But I never get a picture on the head unit, it does not even change inputs...any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
dynosmith

Well, I just found it - I downloaded the PDF manual from Kenwood and searched it. You have to explicitly turn on the R-Camera interuption, etc.

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:39 PM
tsammyc

Default Changing FM stepping on 7100

Hi THEDUKE,

I imported a 7100 into Singapore and it works great with the local maps. However, the FM stepping is the U.S. standard of odd digits i.e., I can get 88.9 and 91.3, but not the local frequencies, which include the even digits 95.0 and 93.8. Was wondering if you could help me with the procedure to enable the even digits. A few years ago, someone at Kenwood USA helped me to convert my 6019, but that procedure (which involved holding some keys while turning on) doesn't work on the 7100. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Sam
Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 PM
tsammyc

One problem I've had with the 7100 is the muting of the audio source when announcements come through. There is an option (buried in the menus on the Kenwood side) to mute or not to mute, but it doesn't work and always mutes. Its next to the option on left side,right side or both for announcements.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
dand070

Where did you guys tap into for the speed sensor? Do you happen to know if its changed from the 2007 model?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:56 AM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by dand070
Where did you guys tap into for the speed sensor? Do you happen to know if its changed from the 2007 model?
You do not need one for the Kenwood.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:57 AM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by tsammyc
Hi THEDUKE,

I imported a 7100 into Singapore and it works great with the local maps. However, the FM stepping is the U.S. standard of odd digits i.e., I can get 88.9 and 91.3, but not the local frequencies, which include the even digits 95.0 and 93.8. Was wondering if you could help me with the procedure to enable the even digits. A few years ago, someone at Kenwood USA helped me to convert my 6019, but that procedure (which involved holding some keys while turning on) doesn't work on the 7100. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Sam
The new units do not support step tunning from what I have been told.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM
fizmixa

i've had this unit for 2 weeks now and love it. one question for everyone else who also owns one. i have the security red led light set to blink when the car is off. works fine at first and i see the red light blinking every 2-3 seconds. but when i come out to the car the next day, it is no longer blinking. is this by design? does that security light only blink for a short period of time like a couple of hours only? i don't recall anything in the manual regarding this except to turn on that feature for the light to blink.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 AM
tsammyc

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
The new units do not support step tunning from what I have been told.
I got it to work but I'm not sure how

It only works on the FM3 band i.e., on FM3 the step tuning goes through the even digits e.g, 88.2 88.4 88.6, while on FM1 and FM2 it goes through the odd digits e.g., 88.1 88.3 88.5

Problem is I'm not quite sure how I did it. I think it happened when I was on FM3 and I pressed the screen FM button several times in succession. Daren't experiment further in case I screw it up. I tried it on FM2 without any success.

THEDUKE, looks like there is a way to change it for individual bands. Might be useful to know the exact combination of buttons which does it if you can help
Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 PM
tlatoani

Have any of you guys tried playing music from a subscription service on this unit? It would be either on a non-ipod (zen maybe?) or a portable HD. I'm guessing it will work but I'd like some confirmation before I spend $1100...
thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by tsammyc
I got it to work but I'm not sure how

It only works on the FM3 band i.e., on FM3 the step tuning goes through the even digits e.g, 88.2 88.4 88.6, while on FM1 and FM2 it goes through the odd digits e.g., 88.1 88.3 88.5

Problem is I'm not quite sure how I did it. I think it happened when I was on FM3 and I pressed the screen FM button several times in succession. Daren't experiment further in case I screw it up. I tried it on FM2 without any success.

THEDUKE, looks like there is a way to change it for individual bands. Might be useful to know the exact combination of buttons which does it if you can help
Spoke with the National Training manager and he told me once again that the 07 video units do not support this. Obviously he his wrong if you got one band to work. Not quite sure why only one band would work, but either way he would be the guy that would know how to do it if there was a way for the end user to do it. The only thing I can guess is that you got into a function that only the R & D knows about.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM
THEDUKE

Originally Posted by tlatoani
Have any of you guys tried playing music from a subscription service on this unit? It would be either on a non-ipod (zen maybe?) or a portable HD. I'm guessing it will work but I'd like some confirmation before I spend $1100...
thanks!
A portable HD will work as long as the music you are trying to play does not have anykind of copyright management on it.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
VtotheZ

Is this deal still available?????

Quick Reply: New Dnx7100 Kenwood All In One Special Forum Price