Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amp going into 'Protection' Mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Amp going into 'Protection' Mode

Hey guys, need some help. I installed a new headunit last weekend (kenwood ddx512) and I'm having a problem now with my amp (alpine mrv-f450). When I turn the volume up on the headunit to a certain level the amp goes into 'Protection' mode, meaning that the normally blue power light on the amp turns red and the amp shuts off, then starts up again about 5 seconds later. If I don't turn the HU volume down, it will happen again. I'm noticing that it's not particular to the volume level setting on the HU (i.e. 18, 19, 20, etc.), but instead its related to the actual audible volume for any given song. Especially if the bass hits too hard, the amp goes into protection mode. I had my system originally installed professionally, so all I did was change out the headunit and connect the new HU wire harness to the existing harness. I am 99% sure that all of my connections are solid - I didn't solder anything, but I used krimp cap connectors and I'm pretty sure they're all kosher.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions for a fix?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need to readjust your gains on your amp. I am pretty familiar with Kenwood decks and if the volume you are getting to is only at level 20 and the bass is hitting hard your gains are turned up to high. If your gains are adjusted correctly you should be able to get to about level 30 on your deck before it starts to max out.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
sry110

Ok so maybe I should start out with my gains lower and work my way up until the amp cuts out, then back off the gains and turn the HU up until it cuts out again, and so on until I get up to near the max volume setting of the HU? I guess I am used to my old Alpine HU where the music was pretty loud when the HU was at about 15, but on this kenwood unit I feel like I need to have the volume up to 22 or so if I even want a chance of hearing and 'feeling' the music while I am driving the car, especially with the windows down.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM
sintaxeror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn your gain all the way down.
set your DDX512 volume to 75%.
Play a test tone, say 0db, 50Hz. You can download them from realmofexcursion.
Slowly turn your gain up until either its painfully loud or you begin to hear distortion..it will be obvious. Back it off just a hair.
There, your gain is set.

Now, if you have trouble "feeling" the music like this, you need to change your equipment, not crank on the gain.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
Slowly turn your gain up until either its painfully loud or you begin to hear distortion..it will be obvious. Back it off just a hair.
There, your gain is set.

Now, if you have trouble "feeling" the music like this, you need to change your equipment, not crank on the gain.
Would that tone be used for setting the subwoofer channel gain, or the front component speaker channel gain?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
There, your gain is set.

I agree...sounds like he is clipping the amp.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
sry110

I will try this tomorrow morning, just burned a cd with the 50hz sine wave (thanks for the direction sintaxeror) and I will try setting the subwoofer gain tomorrow. Then I suppose I just set the front speaker gain to a level that makes sense based on the subwoofer gain, and then the rest of my sound adjustments will be within the EQ settings of the HU. Hopefully this takes care of the problem...
Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
are the speaker wires connected when it goes into protection?

when my amp went into protection.. here is what i did..

1) disconnected speaker wires
2) disconnect RCA's
3) fired up amp

amp was no longer in protection..

turned the car off

plugged in RCA's and fired up car...

amp was no longer in protection

turned car off

plugged in speaker wires...

amp goes into protection

check noticed that the speaker wires on the left side of the sub were disconnected and touching..

if you disconnect everything and only the speaker wires are putting it into protection.. it could also be the connection inside the box..

if you are going into protection without RCA's and speaker wires..

i would get 3 wires ((2) positive (1) ground) .. connect the 1 positive to positive input and the other positive to the remote turn on.. then twine them at the ends.. then connect the ground.. then have somone hold the amp while you make the connection at the battery.. .if the amp is still in protection.. something is wrong with the amp.. if not.. then something is wrong with your wire connections to the amp.. either your remote wire is bad.. maybe its sheered and touching metal of the chassi or even your power wire.. or maybe your ground
Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM
sry110

Fixed! I noticed that the driver side mid speaker was not putting out any sound but the tweeter was. So we took off the door panel and removed the speaker and sure enough the speaker wire was all chewed up. There was a bunch of bare wire showing, it looked like it got pinched in something and it must have been grounding out and clipping the amp at high volumes. So we cut and re-connected and now it's working great (just need to do some tuning on the amp to get the sound levels right). Thankfully it was no major issue!

Appreciate all the input guys, always a great help!