Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Replacing bose headunit.... Which model pac roem needed for 2007 z33?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 AM
_STEVEO_01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing bose headunit.... Which model pac roem needed for 2007 z33?

Just investigating options for replacing the Bose headunit, I've had a number of Nissan/Bose systems before and the quality of the amp/speakers are fine for me - I'm not an audiophile, and while I respect the opinion of those who dislike them, I'm not interested in replacing them.

Anyway, I do want to replace the headunit - going with the AVIC D3 double din unit with Navigation, etc.

I've heard lots of conflicting information about whether or not the factory amp/crossovers/speakers can be driven directly from an aftermarket headunit. The PAC ROEM solution doesn't mention as being compatible with the 2007, just 2005-2006.

I also want to keep the steering wheel audio controls - can anyone confirm compatibility with a unit like the PAC SWI-X?

Crutchfield (which I've had good luck with before) lists the PAC SWI-X as compatible, and doesn't list needing an adapter to interface with the factory amp, etc.

Anyone have first-hand knowledge of replacing the headunit in a 2007 with Bose while keeping the factory speakers and amps?

My goal is to put a new all-in-one head unit, while keeping the factory steering wheel controls, amp, speakers, sub, etc...

Any ideas or suggestions (or pics of installs!) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
07rdsterGT

You need it. It works.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
london2012

Steveo- Have you finished your head unit sway? How did it go? Post pics if/when you get it done.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 AM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did exactly what you did on my 2003 so I can't comment on the 2007 part. I used the PAC ROEM Nis2 for my car and the sound quality from the bose speakers is 10x better than the stock head unit, there really is no comparison. Actually sounds like the car has a sub now, it's impressive. I heard guys ran the D3 with out the PAC unit but also heard some mixed results. I wouldn't even try and install a deck in a 350z with out one.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...se-no-nav.html
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
gerryg2153

replaced the stock unit with a kenwood 8120 and got the 127SWIJACK PAC SWI-JACK JVC/Alp/Clari/Ken Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface from krutchfield - all the steering wheel controls work (except the power button which they made a mute)

oops on a 2008 ZR
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
primussa

Originally Posted by _STEVEO_01
I've heard lots of conflicting information about whether or not the factory amp/crossovers/speakers can be driven directly from an aftermarket headunit. The PAC ROEM solution doesn't mention as being compatible with the 2007, just 2005-2006.
I have just completed installation of Pioneer AVIC F900BT on 2007 Bose with direct RCA connections as some people suggested. I do not like it at all. I want to upgrade to ROEM-NIS2 but not sure if it is compatible with 2007 model.
Can anybody confirm if it can be used on 2007?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
primussa

Anybody?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
fizmixa

Originally Posted by primussa
I have just completed installation of Pioneer AVIC F900BT on 2007 Bose with direct RCA connections as some people suggested. I do not like it at all. I want to upgrade to ROEM-NIS2 but not sure if it is compatible with 2007 model.
Can anybody confirm if it can be used on 2007?
i used it in my 2007 Touring. what don't you like about it currently without the roem-nis2?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
primussa

Originally Posted by fizmixa
i used it in my 2007 Touring. what don't you like about it currently without the roem-nis2?
Thank you for reply.

On my installation signal levels from RCA is too low. The max volume is just enough with closed windows. I have not tried power outputs because others complained about noise. I actually also have lots of noise from touch screen operation and voice guidance. Another issue - there is no rear speakers output. But this may be because they were gone before. I did not troubleshoot them yet. I also installed AVIC on my Mazda CX7 BOSE system using PAC MAZATO adapter. There is no any of the above problems on Mazda.

I understand that ROEM-NIS2 isolates BOSE amp inputs from HU outputs via transformers. Therefore it eliminates ground loop and DC coupling related noices. I was only worried that they do not list 2006+ models as compatible. I do not understand why. It looks like connectors pinouts are the same for pre- and post 2006 BOSE systems. What else might be different? Did you have any problems (ie no rear outputs)?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 06 Grand Touring came with Bose. I replaced it with an Pioneer double din headunit recently WITHOUT any of the stuff you mention. I just wired it straight up like how you would normally for a non-Bose car. Sound quality is GREAT!!! much better than the stock system. I lost the steering wheel control but i really dont need it so who cares.

Down side of doing this is when the sound is on mute or Volume is at 0, you can hear a low hissing sound. Other than that, I'm happy.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
fizmixa

Originally Posted by primussa
Thank you for reply.

On my installation signal levels from RCA is too low. The max volume is just enough with closed windows. I have not tried power outputs because others complained about noise. I actually also have lots of noise from touch screen operation and voice guidance. Another issue - there is no rear speakers output. But this may be because they were gone before. I did not troubleshoot them yet. I also installed AVIC on my Mazda CX7 BOSE system using PAC MAZATO adapter. There is no any of the above problems on Mazda.

I understand that ROEM-NIS2 isolates BOSE amp inputs from HU outputs via transformers. Therefore it eliminates ground loop and DC coupling related noices. I was only worried that they do not list 2006+ models as compatible. I do not understand why. It looks like connectors pinouts are the same for pre- and post 2006 BOSE systems. What else might be different? Did you have any problems (ie no rear outputs)?
i think what you are looking for, the roem-nis2 will address. i have tried using my aftermarket headunit with and without the adapter. used it with my first install, then didnt with my 2nd install (someone breaking into my car and ganking my 1st aftermarket headunit). no issues whatsoever with using it with the stock bose system. i did notice what you did with the low levels without it so it should help with that.

my setup now is just using an aftermarket amp and aftermarket speakers. but you definitely can try the the adapter. the only real issue i had was cramming everything behind the headunit and making it fit. that was a pain. let us know how it goes.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
primussa

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Down side of doing this is when the sound is on mute or Volume is at 0, you can hear a low hissing sound. Other than that, I'm happy.
That is exactly my point. I could live with the limited volume but this hissing when the music is off annoys me very much.

Last edited by primussa; 03-24-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
primussa

Originally Posted by fizmixa
.... you definitely can try the the adapter. the only real issue i had was cramming everything behind the headunit and making it fit. that was a pain. let us know how it goes.
Thank you. I will. Though it will take awhile before I get it from the US to downunder
Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
primussa

I have received and installed my pac roem-nis2 adaptor. What a relief!!! It sounds brilliant. Not only louder but the sound is much deeper and richer.

I would disagree with those who said that the rear speakers poorly located and should be turned off. They acctually act more like woofers and without them a large part of sound spectrum is missing.

Well, anyway, after trying both direct RCA ouputs and ROEM-NIS2 I am convinced now that the latest is the only way to go for BOSE systems. I cannot be happier now after disappointment of first installtion.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 AM
fizmixa

another satisfied customer. glad to hear you are happy with it.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
firedancer

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just want some confirmation on this.

I have an 06 Z with Bose and I want to replace JUST the head unit and keep the stock bose amp and speakers (and sub). So I just want to confirm if the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter WILL indeed work with 06-08 Z's. From reading this thread I believe it was determined that it will and it makes the Bose speakers sound great, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this right before I go ahead and order one. I also intend to install a SWI-JACK adapter to make the steering wheel controls work. Hopefully I can find space behind the radio to cram all the wiring!! (plus ipod adapter, usb plug, etc etc).

Thanks!!