Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How to power Z pc from cigar lighter power

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 07:55 AM
etx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to power Z pc from cigar lighter power

Hey everyone!

I have my Z pc running on a DC to DC power supply and its working well. My Main problem is when the PC is on it make the fm radio (stock) buzz. Its not bad, but very anoying. I think this is because i hooked up the dc to dc psu to the HU always on power. I would like to move it back to get power from the cigar lighter. I know that is only powered with the ignition is on but thats fine with me. So my question is how do it get to those wires to tap into the cigar lighter power?

Or even better! Has anyone found a constant power in the small fuse pannel near the left foot rest? If so it would be easy to run power from there off the main and install a fuse just like stock. That would be Ideal, I really dont want to run power through the firewall to the battery, I do not like poking holes in the fire wall.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:30 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would need to remove that whole panel to reach the cig lighter. You could tap into the fuse box, but I found it very hard to work in that area (hard to even change fuses)
Actually, you can reach the cig lighter thru the sub area, but actually working on it (solder or tap) would be next to impossible due to the lenght of the adapter to the cig lighter.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:50 AM
etx

Hey Alphared, thanks for your help. Do you have any info on how to remove that pannel? I was tring, but I don't want to snap anything. thanks!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:29 AM
alphared

well you need to remove quite a few panels.

Start by removing the panels at the bottom of the door (the part that always get scuff up by your shoes. Just pull it up. You can start near the back and just pull up.

Then pull the rubber weather stripping out a bit till you can pull the panel with the seat beat out. Its tricky, just need to pull towards the center of the car. Where the weather striping is, you can see where the plugs are that hold it in place. Slowly work your way from the bottom up towards the back.

Once both sides are out. You need to lift up the center where the e brake is. There are 2 screws on either side near the bottom. Pull the change tray out and theres a screw under there. You might be able to lift it up a bit to get the Glove/sub panel off. If not, pull up on the shifter's ring and unscrew the 2 screws holding the center panel. This should give you plenty of room to lift up the center panel. (note just pull it up, not take it out. Its a pain to get back in due to the E brake)

To remove the Glove/Sub panel, just grab it from the bottom and pull towards the front of the car. There are clips holding it on top. Oh, forgot, you have to unscrew the 2 screws holding the latch on the glove box.

Unplug the Cig adapter and you now have access to 12V acc (forgot the wire color, but its the one thats Horizontal, plug should look like this -- | , Horizontal one is +, and vertical is ground)

You now have access to the glove box as well.

Just reverse the order to put it back inorder.

You can do a search for Scarfmon's DIY, he shows how to remove the center panel and the side one (where the seat belts are)
Old 09-12-2003, 11:42 AM
sparky3Z

If you need to get to the power socket wires, the manual says take a flat-blade screwdriver and tape the tip. Use it to pry up the plastic panel the socket sits in. There are four plastic clips that snap in to the big panel. Two on the right side and two on the left. Be careful and don't pry too hard in one place to avoid breaking a clip.

The wires can be pulled out far enough to splice into. The red/black wire is the 12v positive and the black wire is the ground.

You can push your attached wires back down to the glove box area or the subwoofer area.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:14 PM
alphared

Yeah, Yeah do what Sparky said. Was too caught up in panel ripping mode forgot about the manual. But you really have to pry near where the clips are. You should also pry off the sub panel so you can have more room to work with the wires. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:05 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If I am understanding you correctly, all you want to do is to tap into the power at the cig. lighter for your PC?

I used the cig. lighter for power for several things and I didn't remove any panels at all. I just popped out the lighter and exposed the wires behind it, tapped in and tucked the wires back behind the lighter and then popped it back in. The bulk of the wires are in the glovebox.
Attached Thumbnails How to power Z pc from cigar lighter power-the-in-car-pc-035.jpg  
Old 09-13-2003, 08:46 AM
alphared

Whoa, check it out, Dr Bonz is actually Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four. Check out his right hand on the bottom of the picture. Boy can he stretch. LOL.

Well, theres another route to the cig lighter as shown by Dr Bonz.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa, check it out, Dr Bonz is actually Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four. Check out his right hand on the bottom of the picture. Boy can he stretch. LOL.
Yep! Makes it all the more easy to pass those wires through all those tight spots.

Actually neither of those guys are me. They were a couple of my friends that helped me with the install.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:14 AM
etx

Hey guys thanks for all your help! Thats exactly what i needed to know. Where did you get the manual you speak of? I need to pick one of those up. Is thier any way to get wires into the glove box from the cig lighter without poking holes in anything?
Old 09-15-2003, 08:58 AM
sparky3Z

I ordered my Z manual from Nissan. They're not cheap and they come on a CD. Seems like it was around $200 or so. I have used it a lot and it has been worth it in helping avoid hassles.

I used a flexible parts-grabber extension with a claw-like end to grab my wires and pull them down from the power socket. I pulled them down to the floor below the glove box and I drilled a hole in the glove box plastic lower tray for access. You don't have to drill any holes in the body.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:39 AM
etx

thanks sparky!

Are the points you need to pry on the side or the tom/bottom of the cig lighter assembly? I took a look at it and I cant see where they are, but I assume its displayed in your manual. thanks again!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:59 AM
sparky3Z

Actually, the clips aren't shown in the manual, as I recall.

Two on the right side and two on the left side. If you push in with the flat-blade screwdriver (taped to help protect the plastic) a little below the corner top and then again a little above the corner bottom you should be close to the clips. I found it a little tricky, but the clips are part of the plastic cover and fit into little rectangular holes. Be patient and push in while you pry up at those points. Just do one at the time.

To reinstall, just push the socket plate back into those four holes until they snap back into place.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:19 PM
etx

sweet! thanks again for your help!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:40 PM
chromesilverz

Wouldn't it be easier to just install a switch.

You have an FM modulator right? Is that how you are getting sound. If it it, then this is the most likely problem. Some FM modulators come with on/off switches...others don't.

When the FM modulator is on it will cause the noise you are referring to on the radio....