Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Xenarc power question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 08:36 PM
ZManInNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenarc power question

For those of you who wired your Xenarcs to your HU power source, can you tell me specifically how you did it? Did you slice off your plug? Any pics would be really helpful, if possible. Thanks from an electronics newbie.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:23 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search. Don't think there was ever a picture, but plenty of how to.

You can patch into the green wire (next to the big yellow one) on the bigger connector. Thats 12V ACC (on when you turn on the car) you can patch into the ground near the top (you can see the big copper wire)
Old 09-16-2003, 05:20 AM
sparky3Z

I attached my wires on the HU plug by stripping about 1/2" of insulation off the wire a couple of inches from the plug using an x-acto knife. I was carefull not to cut any wire strands. I then wrapped the bare end of my power wire around this bare area three or four times. Next I soldered the bare wires together using a "pencil" type soldering tool from Radio Shack.

After the wire joint cooled I brushed on a couple of coats of some liquid coating designed to seal electrical connections. I got it at my hardware store. After that dried in about 15 minutes, I wrapped the joint with electrical tape.

I wanted to make sure the connection was good and could never come loose or short out.

Of course before doing the above, you want to be absolutely sure you have the right wire on the HU plug. I suggest using a tester light to confirm.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:32 AM
ZManInNY

Great. That is very helpful. One thing is still unclear though. Did you take the AC adaptor that came with the Xenarc and cut the wall plug off, then take one of those wires and solder it to the HU power wire and the other to a chassis ground? Or did you follow some power wire already on the Xenarc's board and cut into that? I'm sorry to ask such dumb questions, but when it comes to this stuff, I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks again for any help.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:03 AM
sparky3Z

I'm sorry that I can't answer those particular questions since I did not install a Xenarc. I installed an Alpine LCD monitor, but attaching the wires to the HU would be similar.

What you thinking about doing sounds logical, but better find out from someone who's familiar with the Xenarc.

By the way, there's no shame in asking "dumb" questions. We've all done it and how else are you going to find out?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
etx

Yes. Take what ever power adapter you arent going to need and cut it. Make note of which side is positive and grond before you cut it. The solder the positive to the green wire on the HU and the ground to the ground on the HU or to a good ground on the cars body.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:43 PM
alphared

forgot to mention, it would be a good idea to use a inline fuse holder & fuse (i think its 1 amp fuse) when you hook up to the power. I had one installed just in case, plus its cheap. You can get the fuse holder & fuse for about 2 bux at walmart. Rather spend 2 bux than loss 400 for a burned screen.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to this thread, I did a full write up on my PC install including some tips on the Xenarc installation.

Dr Bonz In-Z PC Install
Old 09-16-2003, 06:07 PM
sparky3Z

Good advice, alphared. Be sure to put the fuse where you can get to it easily should it ever blow. Don't want to have to take the dash apart for that. Of course, if the reason it blew is in the dash...
Old 09-16-2003, 07:24 PM
ZManInNY

Thanks a lot for all the terrific help guys. I really appreciate it. Why wire it into the green wire instead of the red or yellow, just out of curiosity? I will definately pick up that fuse. Thanks again all!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:05 PM
alphared

Green wire is the ACC ON 12V, so screen will only be on when car starts. Yellow wire (bigger one) is 12V-14V ON. Its from the battery so its always on. Don't know what red wire you refering to, but those two are the only power for the non bose stero.

The way I did the fuse was I took the adapter wire and split it in half bout 2/3. cut it and crimp the inline fuse. Was long enough where I could put the fuse in the area under the white box.

So if fuse blew, just lift up the shifter ring and fuse holder is right there.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:07 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

"So if fuse blew, just lift up the shifter ring and fuse holder is right there."

Yep, that's exactly what I did.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:35 PM
ZManInNY

Ok, a couple more novice questions...

I went to Radio Shack to buy the fuses tonight...told him the power plug said 1.0Amp Max...he came out to the car to look because he asked the voltage....decided to use the voltage of the battery, then told me he's not sure what to give me and seemed very confused. So, my question is what exact type of fuse/holder do I need?

The other question is, my Xenarc power plug doesn't specify which wire is positive/negative. Is there any easy way if I have no multimeter?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:43 PM
sparky3Z

I have had disappointing experiences with many Radio Shack salespeople in the last three or four years. It seems they are hiring anyone now and they often don't know very much about electronics. You have to be very careful with what they tell you. Some no doubt know what they are doing but I think there's not many of them.

I'm certainly no expert, but when I have to explain to them what some electrical thing is and how it's used, it's not good.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:58 PM
alphared

Ok first mistake is going to radio shack. They don't even know nothing but cell phones. it's gotten to a point that when i go in they don't even offer help cause i know more bout the thing that they do. Go to walmart or kmart. in the automotive section pick up an inline fuse holder.

you can also find buss fuse (metal caps at both ends and glass tube in the center) there too. it comes in packs of 5 in a small plastic/metal case.

I don't remember which wire on the adapter is postive, but one wire has white/gray hashes. If you have a multimeter you can check. you can test it if you have a flashlight. just touch one wire to the battery (cut it and strip it to do this) and the other end to the side of the lightbulb. Touch the bottom of the lightbulb to the adapter. If it lights up, that wire is ground, if not its postive.

I think the fuse holder is for 14 or 16 gauge, so you need to strip more and double back on itself to make a good connection. just use a needle nose pliers to crimp it shut.

The pic was from kmart, i got mines at walmart for .75 cents.

Or if you can find it you can go with this combo.

they're more expensive and 1 amp is killer hard to find for those fuse type.

Last edited by alphared; 09-18-2003 at 07:08 PM.