Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anybody know about a Navigation System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
bstanton15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know about a Navigation System?

I have a 2004 350z Touring model and have been looking for a Navigation System for it. I've seen a lot of people doing the LCD Touch Screen and integrating it as a computer but thats a little more than I wanted to do. Does anyone know where I can buy a factory GPS System or know of a aftermarket one that fits well in the 2004 model. I like the insed to look clean so I didnt want to have to do much modifing to it to get it to fit nicely. I do know of the 2003 upper bin where the lift door retracts in instead of the 04-05 models where it just flips up so i might get that as well. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Anybody know about a Navigation System?-saver1.jpg  
Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bstanton15
I have a 2004 350z Touring model and have been looking for a Navigation System for it. I've seen a lot of people doing the LCD Touch Screen and integrating it as a computer but thats a little more than I wanted to do. Does anyone know where I can buy a factory GPS System or know of a aftermarket one that fits well in the 2004 model. I like the insed to look clean so I didnt want to have to do much modifing to it to get it to fit nicely. I do know of the 2003 upper bin where the lift door retracts in instead of the 04-05 models where it just flips up so i might get that as well. Any suggestions?

Well, you answered your own question, first off. (Answer would be Nissan) Second, if you dont want an in-dash cd/navi/dvd system i suggest you take out a loan using the equity on your house and buy the factory navi system + install. Aftermarket is much cheaper my friend.

The other route...buy a Garmin and stick that b**ch in your cubby and drill a hole in the rear of the cubby and hardwire it to your car's 'DC power' in wire coming out of the back of your stock radio. (the red wire)

I would seriously take a closer look at aftermarket cd/dvd/navi touchscreen systems before making your decision, as that is the way to go for looks, coolness, and money.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all to the OP if you would have searched you will see that this topics has been asked hundreds of times, and the response is not much help either. Follow this link and that thread will link you to more threads about this. If you do a search you will find even more.
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...avigation.html
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Get_Zwole

get rid of that ugly *** grill thats my suggestion
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
Hah, welcome to the forum man. It's a dog eat dog world on this b**ch, so just be sure from now on you do your research (use "search" function on forum options) first and ask questions later.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

... Say what?

--Spike
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Hah, welcome to the forum man. It's a dog eat dog world on this b**ch, so just be sure from now on you do your research (use "search" function on forum options) first and ask questions later.

Originally Posted by Spike100
... Say what?

--Spike
the picture, billet grill on Z FTL
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Spike100

I didn't click the thumbnail for a large view.

Now clicking the thumbnail, I see what you mean … sort of looks like those metal curtains the mall stores use to close their entrance after hours. But, if he likes that look, that's OK with me.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 06-11-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Didn't EDIT... just posted slowly
Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
bstanton15

First of all your grille doesn't look any better. And I just bought it and thats what it had so theres no reason to say ****. Especially when you just got a silver 350z that doesn't look better than anyone elses. I was just trying to find out information on whats the best way to do a naviagtion system. You check out these pics, I got a good lookin car and two custom choppers and your talkin **** with your silver z. And spike no disrespect to you cause you definetly know a lot about custom stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody know about a Navigation System?-car-background-2.jpg   Anybody know about a Navigation System?-car-in-yard-111.jpg   Anybody know about a Navigation System?-car-in-yard-112.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Spike100

^^ bstanton15,

Please forgive my response since it was never intended to be critical of your “custom- grill-choice.” In fact I have a Redline Z, and I think silver colored accessories look very good with this color-scheme. Any look you choose is a personal preference and you grille is very OK.

I’m ashamed of myself making the statement that I did since it only “jacks” your good thread. Sorry for the diversion. Your Z looks very good to me.

--Spike
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Get_Zwole

First of all your grille doesn't look any better. And I just bought it and thats what it had so theres no reason to say ****. Especially when you just got a silver 350z that doesn't look better than anyone elses. I was just trying to find out information on whats the best way to do a naviagtion system. You check out these pics, I got a good lookin car and two custom choppers and your talkin **** with your silver z. And spike no disrespect to you cause you definetly know a lot about custom stuff.
lol with an attitude like that you will last a long time here

you get butt hurt pretty easy, daddy not show you enough love as a child? Nobody said your car was ugly start a poll and see how many people like billet grills on a Z. Yeah my Z is silver glad we got that covered you felt the need to let me know that twice in your reply. My grill is stock and yes 95% of the people on this forum would say my "grill" does look better lol. Wasnt talking **** about your car, you take things a little too seriously. Nice bikes though, i sold my fatboy last year wish i wouldnt have. Piece of advice grow a little thicker skin on internet forums its just the intrawebs. .

Last edited by Get_Zwole; 06-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 AM
bstanton15

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ bstanton15,

Please forgive my response since it was never intended to be critical of your “custom- grill-choice.” In fact I have a Redline Z, and I think silver colored accessories look very good with this color-scheme. Any look you choose is a personal preference and you grille is very OK.

I’m ashamed of myself making the statement that I did since it only “jacks” your good thread. Sorry for the diversion. Your Z looks very good to me.

--Spike

Spike - Don't worry about it, its not really a big deal. I've seen your other threads so I know you know a lot about custom stuff. It didn't really bother me that much, for some reason I just felt like responding that way.

On another note I know you know a lot about stuff so I've seen other threads where people have installed a kenwood dvd/gps touchscreen. I was wonderin what you think of this kind of unit and since mine is an 04 where the top bin lid just flips up. Would i need to pick up the 03 style bin where once it flips up it retracts back into the dash?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

On another note I know you know a lot about stuff so I've seen other threads where people have installed a kenwood dvd/gps touchscreen. I was wonderin what you think of this kind of unit and since mine is an 04 where the top bin lid just flips up. Would i need to pick up the 03 style bin where once it flips up it retracts back into the dash?
dude yes, do that type of install! cleanest look and most oem look and best use of space by far when it comes to a Z. the door closes and hides the nav unit from any would be thieves and the screen is not too low as any other radio replacement in dash units would be for nav use...

Do your research on that type of install for sure...wish i knew more about it, but i have looked it over before and its the cleanest, oem-ish option out there for our cars...

good luck...
-J
Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Spike100

...On another note I know you know a lot about stuff so I've seen other threads where people have installed a kenwood dvd/gps touchscreen. I was wonderin what you think of this kind of unit and since mine is an 04 where the top bin lid just flips up. Would i need to pick up the 03 style bin where once it flips up it retracts back into the dash?
Jeez, this has become a little messy and probably confusing. And, I’m sure that it wasn’t helpful for you that there was a minor diversion on the “billet-grille-thing.”

So... let’s go back to your original question, which was:
The best answer comes from THEDUKE:
Originally Posted by THEDUKE
First of all to the OP if you would have searched you will see that this topics has been asked hundreds of times, and the response is not much help either. Follow this link and that thread will link you to more threads about this. If you do a search you will find even more.
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...avigation.html
Read that thread, and go on to its links (the other threads that are mentioned in this thread).

You also should read Paul350Z’s excellent thread: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...tallation.html

This thread is very appropriate in your case since you have a 2004 Z, and Paul describes the simple way to equip this model with a navigation screen in the upper/forward cubby. Paul’s thread has excellent instructions for swapping a 2004 upper/forward cubby for a 2003 version as well as why you may want to do this (but it’s not a requirement by any means).

And, Jason summarizes the important points in his message:
Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
dude yes, do that type of install! cleanest look and most oem look and best use of space by far when it comes to a Z. the door closes and hides the nav unit from any would be thieves and the screen is not too low as any other radio replacement in dash units would be for nav use...

Do your research on that type of install for sure...wish i knew more about it, but i have looked it over before and its the cleanest, oem-ish option out there for our cars...

good luck...
-J
Some other things to consider (and of course, these points are arguable)
  • The best GPS screen position in the Z is the upper/forward cubby. Nissan chooses this for the factory GPS for good reason. It’s a much better and safer viewing angle than the double-din slot.

• Devices with flash-drives (ROM/RAM based) are superior to devices using HDD’s or DVD’s. Your car’s interior is a harsh environment (severe temperature swings, vibration, etc.). Flash-drives are solid state and thus are faster and more reliable than mechanical HDD and DVD drives.

• There are two companies that provide digital mapping data, NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas. Each provides some advantages, depending upon the geographic area and specific maps, but these differences are shrinking.

• Application software varies significantly among the various companies that provide GPS devices. Some companies provide a more graphically-rich interface (i.e., a “Rand McNally look”) but sacrifice performance, while other companies go for much better speed with a more animated interface (“cartoon-like” for lack of a better description).

I’ve used devices from several different GPS providers, and there is a significant difference in application software (interface, operation, etc.) and hardware (speed, reliability, etc).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 06-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

search for double DIN systems, thats what you are looking for, clean install and many options