Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
I'm hopeful after that response. Do they look like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Yes exactly like those, one yellow RCA and the red power connecrtor
Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 AM
06blueZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
1) So, did you just tap into the backup light circuit near one of the bulb sockets to power the cam? 2) How did you pull the video cable into the inside of the car - is there a grommet that's easily accessible?
There is a large grommet directly behind the license plate. I used this by cutting a small hole in it and fed the wires thru it. I am still looking for the light green backup wire, there is another post around here where the guy found the backup wire right in the back hatch somewhere. I think I need to remove a few trim panels to get to it. Going to work on that tonight... I will post pictures of where it is when i find it...
Old 09-07-2010, 03:11 PM
idkorcare

Nice find, looks like I will be getting one for my wife, and see if it would work on my G35 but i think the lights are hidden more into the bumper.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
Yes exactly like those, one yellow RCA and the red power connecrtor
Great, thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm video performance is sub-par. daylight is definitely okay/fine but the night video looks like big step down from the audiovox i currently have. i do however like that it mounts to the exterior like it came oem and that it has the measuring feature. I will pass until maybe a newer model has better night vision.

Thanks for experimenting and sharing!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

There is a large grommet directly behind the license plate. I used this by cutting a small hole in it and fed the wires thru it. I am still looking for the light green backup wire, there is another post around here where the guy found the backup wire right in the back hatch somewhere. I think I need to remove a few trim panels to get to it. Going to work on that tonight... I will post pictures of where it is when i find it...
Thanks. I'm pissed mine still isn't here.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Linuxglobal

i just ordered mine, i nearly backed up into my van the other day when i forgot it was there.

Sounds foolish but cant the 12v+ line from the reverse light be used to power the antenna and also activate aftermarket units to switch to the back up camera?

What are you guys talking about the green wire?

Im thinking of connecting the camera power to the ACC from the radio so i can look back anytime
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
06blueZ

sounds like you have a double din radio or something.. with my setup the screen switches sources automatically when it has a signal, so I only want the camera on when im in reverse. I think most aftermarket screen radios have a wire for the reverse input, as well as an RCA in for the video. you could ues those or a standard video in, but it might not switch automatically like the dedicated reverse video source.

There is a light green wire in the rear harness that I think is the reverse bulb + wire, and Im planning on using that for the camera power as well.

Last edited by 06blueZ; 09-07-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Linuxglobal

sounds like you have a double din radio or something.. with my setup the screen switches sources automatically when it has a signal, so I only want the camera on when im in reverse. I think most aftermarket screen radios have a wire for the reverse input, as well as an RCA in for the video. you could ues those or a standard video in, but it might not switch automatically like the dedicated reverse video source.

There is a light green wire in the rear harness that I think is the reverse bulb + wire, and Im planning on using that for the camera power as well.
Ya i have a pioneer avic D3, it uses a reverse video in and a reverse 12V cable to switch the unit to rear view camera.

Im probably going to keep it simple and use the green wire for camera power and to activate the unit.

BTW i saw your original thread, where did you get the center console plastics with the nav cubby? Do you have the part numbers perhaps? The area where the buttons normally sit looks very oem all covered up. Was that a custom fab job? I would like to add an external screen in the cubby pretty much identical to yours.

Let me know when you get a chance.

Cheers
C
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
dcains

If that green wire can't be easily located, I'm just going to tap into one of the +12V leads to one of the backup light bulbs behind the bumper. I'd rather do it inside the car, though.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by dcains
If that green wire can't be easily located, I'm just going to tap into one of the +12V leads to one of the backup light bulbs behind the bumper. I'd rather do it inside the car, though.
Or perhaps along the wiring harness before it exits outside the vehicle. You will have to wire in the video feed anyways so you might as well just run the video cable along the harness.

Does anyone know if the factory nav on the 350z even had a reverse cam? I remember seeing the newer g35 sedans and coupes with reverse cams on navi models. I would just like to see where they mounted it.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
dcains

I've never seen a Z with an oem backup camera, nor seen it listed as an option in any of the spec sheets/brochures. Japanese cars share a lot of parts among models, and even across manufacturers, so perhaps the oem nav has a video input which is unused?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 AM
06blueZ

I remember seeing a post by someone from Japan that claimed to have factory cameras in the front and back! ill try to find it...

This week is just not working out at all for Z wrenching time. We are having a garage sale this weekend so I need to move the car to another garage to fill ours with crap... looks like I wont have time to finish my install for a few days...
Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 AM
06blueZ

OEM front cameras:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/49294-close-up-on-jdm-camera.html

Last edited by 06blueZ; 09-08-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Pretty sweet deal. Wonder what i would need to hook it up to my stock nav screen? Hmmm...
I know on my '03 this wouldn't wouldn't work without a video interface (something similar to NAV_TV) and then I question how good it would look on the OEM non-tft screen.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

How are people getting the cables into the car when using cameras that don't replace the backup light?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 AM
procustomize

Default Was it DIY friendly

Very interested, I have a pioneer 910bt, I wonder if this is DIY friendly. Any links or places I can go to learn how to do this myself?

My local guy is asking for $100 to install...

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 AM
06blueZ

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
How are people getting the cables into the car when using cameras that don't replace the backup light?
There is a rubber grommet right behind the license plate that is a good place to run the wires into the trunk. this is probably the best place to run the wires for any kind of backup camera

Originally Posted by procustomize
Very interested, I have a pioneer 910bt, I wonder if this is DIY friendly. Any links or places I can go to learn how to do this myself?

My local guy is asking for $100 to install...

Thanks!
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...a-install.html

This is a good write up on the same kind of install. I still haven't had time to finish mine and take pics of the last few steps...
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Linuxglobal

id love to see that, i didnt even know it existed, those crazy jdms.

Link is dead
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
The two small square cutouts behind the license plate allow you to feed them through to the grommet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: backup camera, new option...