Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

backup camera, new option...

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Linuxglobal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincat
i hate the fact that it cuts of half the light emitting from the right side. it makes it look weird, i might just use electrical tape to tape off the other side to make it look even.
its honestly not that bad. 99% of people wont even notice. You could always paint it i guess instead of using electrical tape.

I installed lumileds luxeon stars in my rear plate lights so they are each 5W and not cheap little plug in leds

Here is the video of mine in action, had it done last night but i had to use copyright free music, bunch of BS with photobucket.

Click on pic below to start video

Cheers
C

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 11-01-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
06blueZ

thanks for the video. the CCD camera is noticeably sharper than the cmos version!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Linuxglobal

daytime pics of the CCD camera

daytime video coming soon as well, its just a bit too sunny and you cant see anything when im out of the garage from the glare.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Linux - could you comment on how you're liking the CCD now that you've had it a few weeks?

I am on my 3rd Pyle reverse camera (CMOS) and I suspect it keeps dying because of the heat issue you'v mentioned. I assumed I had wired it so the camera only turns on when it is in reverse, but maybe the camera is on even when my display is not displaying the image...leading to the camera overheating and giving me problems.

Do you feel the CCD is worth the extra $55 over the CMOS?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Linux - could you comment on how you're liking the CCD now that you've had it a few weeks?

I am on my 3rd Pyle reverse camera (CMOS) and I suspect it keeps dying because of the heat issue you'v mentioned. I assumed I had wired it so the camera only turns on when it is in reverse, but maybe the camera is on even when my display is not displaying the image...leading to the camera overheating and giving me problems.

hi Dkmesa,

I have a CMOS in my daily driver and the CCD in my 350z
The CMOS seems to be fine, i installed it shortly after i started this thread so i think there is something certainly wrong with your wiring. Check the power cable from the camera and ensure its only on when you are reversing to extend the life of the camera.

As for the CCD, again i cant comment on reliability, as i said the cmos has lasted this far so they seem to be the same in that sector. Quality wise you already know the CCD is awesome.

Another note, the CCD for my 350z shipped in 4 business days via UPS A lot better than the 1 month i waited for the cmos cameras to arrive.

If i were you i would go for the CCD, its sharper, better day and night time use, the only downside are the grid lines but those are useless anyways, i dont even use them in my daily that has them.

Let me know if you want the seller from ebay that had the awesome shipping time

Cheers
C
Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As long as you have the camera powered off of the reverse light - it's shouldn't be running all the time and overheating. Does your HU have the ability to select the camera as the video source so you can check for a video signal when not in reverse?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
dkmesa350z

Thanks Linux.

Dave - I am fairly certain my power source is wired to the reverse light, but it has been so long since I wired it I could be wrong. I tapped the reverse light for something, so if not for camera power, then just to tell my head unit when to switch to the video source. Unfortunately my head unit won't allow me to switch to the source when not in reverse (Kenwood).

I will just have to pull the HU and check. The more I think about it, the more it seems I just wired camera power to the head unit power and used the reverse light just as the reverse signal lead for the head unit to switch video sources.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Linuxglobal

Thanks Linux.

Dave - I am fairly certain my power source is wired to the reverse light, but it has been so long since I wired it I could be wrong. I tapped the reverse light for something, so if not for camera power, then just to tell my head unit when to switch to the video source. Unfortunately my head unit won't allow me to switch to the source when not in reverse (Kenwood).

I will just have to pull the HU and check. The more I think about it, the more it seems I just wired camera power to the head unit power and used the reverse light just as the reverse signal lead for the head unit to switch video sources.
is your camera heating up a lot ? like if you touch the outer body after a short drive?

My CMOS would warm up after a good 10 mins of operation (when i was testing the fitment). The one on my daily probably would too but its never on for more than a few mins. I reverse perhaps 2-3 times a day when i leave my house and leave school.

Cheers
C
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
dkmesa350z

I will have to check on that. So I remember tapping the reverse light for my HU's reverse signal input. Did you guys just splice the reverse light for power as well? Forgot if the power line with my camera is fused. Was yours?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Linuxglobal

I will have to check on that. So I remember tapping the reverse light for my HU's reverse signal input. Did you guys just splice the reverse light for power as well? Forgot if the power line with my camera is fused. Was yours?
my reverse lights power the camera and the hu signal. Its just a Y connection.

If you want to make a reverse camera switch you will need a 1n4001 diode and a simple switch just to activate that 1 line using ACC power.

I have that mod for my van so i can see my trailer contents when im on longer trips. The diode prevents your voltage from running back to the reverse lights and freaking out some driver or damaging the car's wiring. I can put up a schematic if you wish.

Good luck, BTW did you get my PM with that seller? Its the same seller and item i purchased. They started selling G35 and 350z reverse cameras after i got mine and told them they cross reference.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
dkmesa350z

Originally Posted by Linuxglobal
my reverse lights power the camera and the hu signal. Its just a Y connection.

If you want to make a reverse camera switch you will need a 1n4001 diode and a simple switch just to activate that 1 line using ACC power.

I have that mod for my van so i can see my trailer contents when im on longer trips. The diode prevents your voltage from running back to the reverse lights and freaking out some driver or damaging the car's wiring. I can put up a schematic if you wish.

Good luck, BTW did you get my PM with that seller? Its the same seller and item i purchased. They started selling G35 and 350z reverse cameras after i got mine and told them they cross reference.
Sounds like I'll be doing some rewiring when I decide to order the new camera. Thanks for the link.

I'd love to see the schematic if its easy enough to post.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Linuxglobal

Reverse Camera with Switch schematic

Let me know if you have any questions.
All parts can be found at your nearby radioshack or small electronics store.

Cheers
C

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 11-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
dkmesa350z

Much appreciated dude.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:48 PM
AlT

Linuxglobal,

Thanks, for your schematic, I would like to suggest you add a line (12vdc) to the anode side of the diode nearest the backup light. The way you have your schematic, it looks like the backup light is sourced from acc. I do like the fact that when in reverse it's automatic, no switching involved, with the other option of turning on when desired.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by AlT
Linuxglobal,

Thanks, for your schematic, I would like to suggest you add a line (12vdc) to the anode side of the diode nearest the backup light. The way you have your schematic, it looks like the backup light is sourced from acc. I do like the fact that when in reverse it's automatic, no switching involved, with the other option of turning on when desired.
I think you are reading it incorrectly.

The whole point of the circuit is to prevent the rear lights from coming on when you flick the secondary switch for the camera.

The rear light circuit is on its won schematic and independent. The green wire is certainly not powered by the acc (hence the diode). The ACC is used so that you cant forget your camera on and turn off the car, unit would be off, and cmos guys would run into issues

Let me know if that clears it up, once again the green cable that says "reverse light 12+ bulb" is actually the wire that goes to the tails, it has power going through it when the car is put in reverse, this circuit does not power that cable at all, in fact the purpose of it is NOT to power the rear lights.

Its wired like this in my van so i hope its not having any issues Been fine for over 2 weeks now i think. I got a spare "Park Aid" switch from the wreckers, i have one up top for my bumper sensors and now this is one is near the foglight switches. Pretty soon my van will turn into one of those tricked out euro vans j/k, she has over 400k kms ~ 250k miles

Cheers
C
Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 AM
slmdchvy05

Here is a few pics where my B/U camera is located

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by slmdchvy05
Here is a few pics where my B/U camera is located
hey come out to the MK sushi meet monday? would love to see this in person...
https://my350z.com/forum/meet-ups-ev...hen-b-day.html

I bought one, but for my Titan, haven't installed it yet, but going to be doing it soon..

-J
Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 AM
slmdchvy05

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
hey come out to the MK sushi meet monday? would love to see this in person...
https://my350z.com/forum/meet-ups-ev...hen-b-day.html

I bought one, but for my Titan, haven't installed it yet, but going to be doing it soon..

-J
What MK's Sushi is it at because I have never herd of it and these are the only two locations I could find.

MK's Sushi
2400 Airport Freeway, Suite 130
Bedford, TX 76022

MK's Sushi
2901 Fair Drive Suite 100
Ft. Worth Texas 76131
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
kevincat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my camera just went out. i was wondering if anyone is having similar problems.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

nope...

I rarely used it...I don't have it set up to the reverse gear...so I have to click on it to use it from my headunit...

still works like a champ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: backup camera, new option...