Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Turn off VDC for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:15 AM
bokone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn off VDC for HPDE?

I have a 2005 touring and am doing a driving school in a few weeks. Does everyone turn off the VDC. Ideally I would like to turn off the traction control (TCS) but leave on the stabilty control (VDC). Is this possible and if so how? What does everyone else do when at the track? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:04 AM
westpak
SFZCC

It is better to turn it off if you don't want the car to stumble at times and you cannot turn one off without the other.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Stack

Anything that automatically applies braking should be turned off. There's speculation that this is why many stock 350Zs run out of rear brakes so quickly (non-Brembos). You're gonna have a tendency to ride the brakes anyway, why make it worse by letting the computer do it as well. Wheelspin is natural when driving on track, and it can create some situation where the computer thinks it should apply some help.

Purists (like me) will tell you to turn all the driving aids off... this way you really learn the true limits of the car, not whats been programed in the ECU. The only exception is ABS, which I don't think can be turned off anyway.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 AM
StaticCling

The biggest problem with the VDC is that it is too intrusive for even spirited driving. During HPDEs or driving schools, I would not advise using it. For the first couple of laps or maybe during the rain, go ahead and leave it on. But as soon as you feel comfortable with the track and the car, go ahead and switch it off.

From my experience the car is very forgiving and a good starter for car control.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:32 PM
nissansource

yup any tracker should not learn on a Forgiving car
Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 PM
knight_white99

The only exception is ABS, which I don't think can be turned off anyway.
If you search the threads, there are ways to disconnect this too.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:45 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wish we could adjust the ABS sensativity, so I wouldn't get ice mode while autocrossing.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:19 PM
RKnight

Even when you turn off the VDC, is it 100% off. When I was on the track and turned mine off it still felt like there was still a little bit of intervention going on. I also thought I remember reading somewhere that this was the case.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn it off
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 AM
VQ35DECivic

VDC is not completely off when hitting the button. If you were to try and brake hard while turning, you'll feel it kick in.

The only way to completely disable VDC is by unplugging it.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Nano

HPDE with VDC on is equivalent of taking a shower without water
Old 07-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by VQ35DECivic
VDC is not completely off when hitting the button. If you were to try and brake hard while turning, you'll feel it kick in.

The only way to completely disable VDC is by unplugging it.

It is very and 100% OFF once the button is depressed. I have drifted and spunned enough to know

ABS is still ON and will activate if you steer and brake !
ABLS is also still ON and will act on how the car behaves while powering out of a turn. It will also wear the tiny rear brake pads.

Pulsating brakes (ie while ABS is active) are terrible for the disc surface. It takes a few laps to "resurface" them and get them back feeling good.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:31 PM
VQ35DECivic

Try trail braking into a turn next time you're on a track on a turn that you know you're not outside the friction circle of your tires. You'll find that VDC will cycle, often times throwing you off your line. Streets of Willow, running counter-clockwise on turn 3 will almost always invoke VDC far below the friction circle.

Drifting for the most part is a power-on affair. VDC will not apply even when switched off in this case.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM
StaticCling

I have felt something similar with VDC off many times and I think that it is really EBD kicking in. It will move the braking force once between the front wheels if you trail brake into the turn aggressively. There was another thread on this subject and the recommendation was to disable ABS. Which I am not going to do, so I live with it. If there is another way to disable this effect, let me know.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:42 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StaticCling
I have felt something similar with VDC off many times and I think that it is really EBD kicking in. It will move the braking force once between the front wheels if you trail brake into the turn aggressively. There was another thread on this subject and the recommendation was to disable ABS. Which I am not going to do, so I live with it. If there is another way to disable this effect, let me know.
Yes, it was created by myself and was called "Trail Braking and EBD"... I remember getting into a heated discussion with several members, and I'm still confident that EBD adjusts the ABS torque to the wheel with the most grip (the front one so it will understeer and not oversteer). You can hear where the ABS is pulsating (even my students can from the passenger seat). The key to get around it is to adjust your braking style and input so it's smoother.

It'll be interesting to see how the EBD reacts to my new setup with 275s all around (instead of the staggered 245/275), as I'll be testing it out on a track where I've had a lot of problems with the EBD in the past. Will try and remember to report back my impressions this weekend...

Last edited by John; 07-27-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:50 PM
christoc

After following this thread, I really am happy I have an Enthusiast!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Nano

I recall reading that a sensor(bosch?) had to be disconnected under the console to fully disable VDC 100% (the ABLS part If I understand). With the sensor disconected, ABS remains operational, but Brake Limited Slip Differential shuts downt... which is what I believe most of you are feeling is the ABLS. Beside that, I believe the VDC to be 100% off when the switch is activated.... only weird thing I still haven't figured out is that I'm POSITIVE my SLIP light came on a few times with VDC disabled. didn't get that..

here from manual

"The VDC system uses a Brake Limited Slip Differential (LSD) system to improve vehicle traction. The brake LSD system works when one of the driving wheels is spinning on a slippery surface. The brake LSD system brakes the spinning wheel to distribute the driving power to the other wheel. If the vehicle is operated with the vehicle dynamics control system turned off, all VDC and TCS functions will be turned off. The brake LSD system and ABS will still operate with the VDC system off"

Last edited by Nano; 07-27-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:55 AM
VQ35DECivic

Two scenarios here... more often than not, if the ABS cycles when braking on a track, then yes, it is likely it is EBD. However, when going 10/10ths full tilt into a downhill on-camber corner, and then the ABS cycles in a manner where you feel only one or two wheels being braked aggressively, and the cycling completely throws you off your line, that is VDC kicking in even when "switched off."

The best way for the track is as Nano indicated by disconnecting the Bosch G-sensor under the center console. This completely disables VDC and BLS, but retains ABS. I do not see how BLS can even be remotely sporting by using the brake to control slippage. It makes the VLSD completely redundant!