Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Removing brake dust shields

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 AM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing brake dust shields

Way back in 2003, EnthuZ recommended removing the dust shields from the rear brakes.

Who else has tried this? Are you seeing the same benefits?

Does it help for the fronts, too?

Has there turned out to be any downside: reduced performance in the wet, or anything?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 AM
commasense

Oh, and I just remembered: EnthuZ doesn't have the Brembos, and I do. So I'm asking if this will help on the Track model.

For the record, I don't have a problem with uneven wear or rapid wear on the rears. But I wouldn't mind extending the life of the front pads, and if cutting off the front dust shield will help, I'll do it.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Nano

the dust shields are pretty big on the 350z, they almost entirely envelop the rotors. I believe removing them could only benefit the rotor and pads and extend their life.

I really never understood the point of those shields anyway... dust goes everywhere just the same. (had to remove mine, and did not notice more dust on the wheels or anywhere else for that matter... actually there is less dust)

Last edited by Nano; 06-20-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
commasense

I've always assumed that the dust they are shielding is road dust and dirt, and that their purpose is to keep that stuff from getting into the brakes, not to keep brake dust from getting out.

I also assume that the engineers who designed and built the car know more about these things than I do, which is why I'd like some assurance that, at the very least, nothing bad happens when you remove the shields. Hearing from someone who's tried it that something good happens (on the Track model) would be even better. Anyone?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Humm... have seen them, lets see...

they do cover (in the rear) all the rotor and come over the inside edge. Note that fron the outside the rotors, calipers and pads are exposed, so they would only keep stuff from going 1. from the brakes to the underside of the car (ie, brake dust) or 2. from the underside of the car onto the rotors and pads.

I can imagine lots of tire rubber coming off under track conditions and going on to the rotor and pads. While the pads would wipe them clean, I wonder if the accumulation of crap is good for them on the long run. How the come over the edge of the rotor seems to counter the cooling effect.

I think any change is a balance. The engineer who created them probably found that under normal road conditions, they stay "cool enough". For track applications, where excesive heat becomes an issue, you would have to weight the added cooling vs the posibility of getting mud, tar and tire rubber on them. But at that point, maybe ducts with cool air would be better.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

You have to cut or remove them when upgrading to a BBK
Old 06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by commasense
I've always assumed that the dust they are shielding is road dust and dirt, and that their purpose is to keep that stuff from getting into the brakes, not to keep brake dust from getting out.
That makes more sense. I don't know why, I have always assumed that "brake dust shield" was refering to "shielded from brake-dust" rather than "shielded the brake from dust" lol

Originally Posted by slaponte
I can imagine lots of tire rubber coming off under track conditions and going on to the rotor and pads. While the pads would wipe them clean, I wonder if the accumulation of crap is good for them on the long run. How the come over the edge of the rotor seems to counter the cooling effect.
If you track your car, Long run doesn't really apply. Anyone that I know who tracks his car cleans his brakes after each weekend. Removing the dust shields (whathever dust they protect from) will require inspections and more maintenance for sure, but nothing crazy. I removed mine and did not notice anything unusual. No difference that I can notice as far as "how dirty" everything gets. I have around 5K miles on BBK and 6-7 track days

Last edited by Nano; 06-20-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
bokone

I did a similar mod. See thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=dust+shield
Dust shield re-work
Old 06-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Tim Mahoney

Way back in 2003, EnthuZ recommended removing the dust shields from the rear brakes.

Has there turned out to be any downside: reduced performance in the wet, or anything?

Thanks.
I cut all of mine off per the (Stoptech) instructions when I installed their kit. I wish I went to the trouble of pulling the spindles in front and unbolting the shields, the rears might be more trouble to unbolt. I re-install the stock rotors/calipers for winter (no more shields) and notice a slight delay in brake response when things are real wet, similar to your 1st stop after a really deep puddle when the shields are on there. I don't notice this with the kit on in summer because the slotted rotors do a pretty good job of releasing water.

You may want to save them and re-install before selling the car, I'll have to buy new ones when that time comes.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:00 PM
JP350Z2004

I have a non-Brembo model and removed my sheilds this year. Did so mostly due to brake fade I experienced at the track. I have noticed more even pad wear and some resistance to fade. Prior to removing them my inboard pad was always wearing quicker. I feel the sheilds act like a heat sync and keep the heat in. No adverse affects since removing them, but I don't drive mine in the winter. Also the spot welds on the rear sheild can be broken off and the sheild removed completely without taking the hub off. I just cut the front one down as much as I could. Good Luck
Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
Keep them if you don't have problems on the rear.

I might find a "dust shield guy" at work and ask tomorrow, if I remember...

Here's some things to think.

The shields might actually help channel cool air in the rotor.
They will definitelly prevent rock/sand/dust/marble/water away from the rotor. Imagine the nice heat treatment from a direct water splash on a hot rotor?

How long do your pads last? Is it really an issue? I mean, they have to wear at some point.

Drive slower if you want to save your pads, and let me pass! aha
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
StaticCling

I removed the dust shields before doing any other brake upgrades besides pads. I think that it helped a little, if I remember correctly I used to use up the inside pad faster than the outside pad. If you are having this problem than dust shield removal might be the answer. I can't say for sure about pad/rotor life as I continued to get faster through experience and that causes more wear and tear.

As for problems, I did this over two years ago and have had no problems. No warped rotors or anything getting in/on the caliper/rotor. I have even gone off the track (road course) a couple of times kicking up mud and stones, but I have had no problems.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:26 AM
commasense

Originally Posted by Kolia
Drive slower if you want to save your pads, and let me pass! aha
Never! Eat my dust!

See you at Mid-Ohio in two weeks, right, Kolia?