Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Sobering thought

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:53 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Sobering thought

About a week and a half ago I had a big shunt that looks like it will severely affect my racing season. After racing Nissans for over a decade, I was a passenger in a friend's Saturn SL2 as we returned from a late-season ski trip in the mountains. After skidding on some ice, the car barrel-rolled 4-5X and we were lucky to get off with "just" concussions, bumps, buises and a few stitches.

I'm putting this post in the racing section to say that, while I wear a SA-2000 helmet and HANS device when I'm racing, it was just my luck that this accident occurred when I had none of my safety gear available. The car flew for a bit upside-down before impacting on the passengers side and I recall the side window blowing past my face and dirt and rocks flying inside. How I wish I had the window net, roll cage, 5-point harness and most particularly, the helmet and HANS device on when the &%$# hit the fan!

Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir, but the multiple impacts that my HEAD endures would have been cushioned by a SA-rated helmet. Even worse, a basal skull fracture could very easily have been my fate and makes a strong argument for HANS device use. But we simply don't use or wear that stuff in everyday driving, which is why I'm lucky my head isn't strewn across the road...

Yesterday I had a followup head trauma assessment and got some very sobering news. While I don't have a skull fracture or intercranial bleed, l am borderline below this. I have been told NOT to race (or instruct, drive at speed, etc.) for the next three months. The doctor expressly told me that my next event, the Memorial Day SCCA National at Pikes Peak International Raceway (PPIR) is out of the question. Missing PPIR will really put the hurt on my Divisional title hopes in GT-5, but I hope to recover sufficently to at least salvage a Runoffs berth. Worse, I can't even drive my Z at the track with my Colorado friends for much of the summer. All this to say that the use of properly-fitted SA-certified helmets is invaluable during the road racing events that many will be enjoying this summer.

OK, enough sobbing for awhile. I've been told that I should make a full recovery IF I avoid another head injury in the next few months. That time will be spent improving my Nissan GT-5 racer and the Redline track Z. It's an understatement to say that my need for speed is going to be extremely high once I get back to full strength. And rest assured, I WILL get there...

Last edited by dkmura; 05-12-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
tulene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to hear you're ok. thats the most important thing. thanx for that, it certainly puts everything into perspective.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:58 PM
tulene

by the way im sure i speak for many in wishing you a safe and quick recovery. all the best dk!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:52 AM
jmark

David,

Glad to hear you will make a full recovery. Konis go on this weekend!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:56 AM
FritzMan

First of all, glad you're ok.

I've barrell rolled (3-4 times) a Formula 1600 and my arm came out during the process. The car eventually landed upside down trying to use my arm as a crutch. Thankfully, only a severe break was as bad as it got... but I know how it feels when I car takes *you* for a ride inside of the other way around.

In Canada, 350Z are only available with side and curtain air bags. I don't believe it's the case in the States (on lower models) - and definitely not the case in your buddy's Saturn. I believe a side airbag would have helped immensely. They not only prevent side impact on your head, but are designed to prevent objects from entering.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the 350Z is an extremely stiff and safe sports car. Equipped with airbags (especially side and curtain) and you're pretty much as safe as you can reasonably be for lapping duties especially with a helmet of any kind.

I'm not a safety structural automotive expert. I don't disagree that a Hans device isn't of use, but I beleive it would take a unique & horrifying impact to justify one (essentially head-on at a high rate of speed). Without a proper full roll cage, the engine would pretty much be sitting on your lap. IMO, I don't think you'd want to go through the recovery process if a Hans device ever did come to saving your life in a street car. I wonder if there's been studies to their applicability in a stock street car.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:16 AM
Vlad

Think positive. Looks like you got a good deal. Be as new in just 3 months and be able to race again. Many peopel don't get that lucky after the accidents.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear that you'll be okay. I've had a few big shunts in rally, road race and street cars over the years, and there is no doubt that safety equipment has saved my life or prevented debilitating injury several times. Some of my friends and acquaintances haven't been so lucky, including one who drowned in a few inches of water after being thrown from a vehicle unconscious.

It does make one think more about the safety that is built into current road cars, even compared to those produced less than a decade ago.

Get well, and we'll see you on the track soon!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Hooligan317

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, glad your alright. You'll be back in action in no time!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:51 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks for your thoughts and wishes, everyone. Just thought I'd comment on the HANS device and it's application. While I do use one in my tubeframe racecar, I think that as long as you have (at least) a roll bar and 5 point harness, it would offer a new dimension of safety. Head and neck trauma are THE most common and serious injuries in motorsports today. While I don't advocate for their use in a street car, once you get used to wearing one, it leaves you feeling a bit more vulnerable when you don't have one on!

Of course, I felt damn near naked when I had this particular shunt and the resulting "traumatic brain injury" is not turning out to be any walk in the park either! If I were ordering my Z again, I'd certainly spring for the side curtain airbags...
Old 05-14-2004, 04:05 AM
mk350z

David,

I just read your post, I'm glad to hear you are OK...

Marc
Old 05-14-2004, 12:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Marc-

Appreciate hearing from you. I guess this means that I can't wear out those TS-1s as quickly as summer track time is going to be scarce. Drop me a PM or email and let me know what kind of wheel/tire package you settled on.

David
Old 05-17-2004, 06:54 PM
archman350z

At least there's a GOOD ending in that story...you're OK. Yeah, it really makes one think about how fragile the human body is. The odd thing that I've noticed through the years is that more airplanes have killed race car drivers than race cars!!

Unfortunately, the general public still doesn't consider safety as a high priority when buying a car. I mean, can you imagine trying to put on your makeup with a HANS device...GEEZ! It's really a sad tale.

Years of riding motorcycles has taught me to become almost paranoid when driving. For me, there is no such thing as a relaxing drive through the suburbs...too many idiots. Nope, a relaxing day is a day at the track: controlled environment, safety equipment, and no people trying to apply makeup at 70 MPH.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Sz28r

Take the time to heal, I can understand not wanting to miss races, but you have your whole life ahead of you - - take a second and thank God you guys weren't hurt worse, best of luck with your recovery.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 AM
FCallender

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but happy that you will recover. Please, give your head injury plenty of R & R. Getting thrown around on a track even with restraints is playing russian roulette.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Guys, thanks again for the good words and wishes. I'll try to make this a truly happy ending by recovering fully.

Loved the imagine of a lady trying to apply makeup with a helmet and HANS device on! Be careful out there, people!
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 PM
jackwhale

Glad that you're injuries are not permanent. Its a good plan to take the time to recover completely. Don't rush it.

As a physician who used to be a neurologist: Even if the Broncos call you to play quarterback--tell them no, you just had a concussion like every other quarterback in the league. You'll be ready next year.

Last edited by jackwhale; 05-18-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by dkmura
Guys, thanks again for the good words and wishes. I'll try to make this a truly happy ending by recovering fully.

Loved the imagine of a lady trying to apply makeup with a helmet and HANS device on! Be careful out there, people!
Glad to hear you are OK David. I had the same thing happen to me in a karting accident about 4 years ago and that was with a helmet (only so much impact a 1" thick helmet can absorb when it slams into the ground at a high rate of speed). It took a few months to get back to normal (my wife will tell you I have never been normal), but you do get back.

I am used to wearing racing safety equipment too and I always feel naked in a street car. Sadly, that is why I unexpectedly secretly like to drive my Nissan Titan as a daily driver. At least in the Titan, I will be the one more than likely dealing out the punishment in an accident instead of receiving.

Anyway, if you want a substitute driver, let me know (I am fast, but I suck at heel toe!).
Old 06-02-2004, 07:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by raceboy
Glad to hear you are OK David. I had the same thing happen to me in a karting accident about 4 years ago and that was with a helmet (only so much impact a 1" thick helmet can absorb when it slams into the ground at a high rate of speed). It took a few months to get back to normal (my wife will tell you I have never been normal), but you do get back.

I am used to wearing racing safety equipment too and I always feel naked in a street car. Sadly, that is why I unexpectedly secretly like to drive my Nissan Titan as a daily driver. At least in the Titan, I will be the one more than likely dealing out the punishment in an accident instead of receiving.

Anyway, if you want a substitute driver, let me know (I am fast, but I suck at heel toe!).
Steve! Good to hear from you! I'm puzzled by your use of the Titan as a daily driver. Thought you were taking delivery of a new Lotus Elise after the Z. In any case, getting upside down in ANY vehicle is gonns result in some punishment and more than likely, to your noggin'!

Had to laugh at your 'substitute driver' comment. Yesterday, I got a ticket coming off an entrance ramp onto a freeway in my Z. I really needed somebody to take THAT bullet for me! LOL Not sure if I can keep the instant-on radar bogeys off my back if I can't get my SERIOUS speed mojo at the track for awhile...
Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
raceboy
Banned

The Titan is my tow vehicle. I use it to tow my kart trailer and an RV. I was also thinking of dumping the kart trailer and getting an enclosed car hauler for the Elise that I could also use for karting. In the truck, you just don't get tickets either!!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Glad to hear you're ok. You'll be heating up rotors again in no time.