Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Wheels, pads, fluid oh my..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Westby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels, pads, fluid oh my..

Started autocrossing awhile ago, just wanted to see what the best options for: some really cheap I don't care how ugly lightweight wheels, brake pads that are good for autox and the street, and good brake fluid. Last weekend I had a bunch of re runs and ended up doing about 3 runs or so in a row on a pretty fast course and had a bit of brake fade blah.

Also... Okay so the nismo wheels are available thru dealers soooo any chance in hell they could be considered optional equipment and used in b stock? I've got the wheel bug and would be nice to have a great wheel and run it in autocross too. Hey I can dream can't I?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I'd suggest you check the classifieds section for some Rays wheels that are part of the track package. If you want to stay in BS, they offer the lowest weight and best bang for the buck. As for brake fluid, try Valvoline Synpower DOT 4. It's relatively cheap, available at many car parts and doesn't absorb as much water as many expensive racing brake fluids do. I can't recommend any pads for the standard 350Z brakes, but do a search or someone else can chime in...
Old 07-29-2004, 09:29 PM
phoenixZ33

I'd just go with the Nismo R-Tune pads, I've used them and they work very well. Pretty cheap too. The pads alone should go a long way to fixing your brake fade. Fluid might help, but I'm guessing the pads are the problem.

http://www.intensepower.com/nir35wbrbrpa.html

For B Stock you have to run the exact same diameter and width as your car came with, unless there was an option. ie. The Enthusiast model can't use 18" wheels, the Track model can't use 17" wheels and the Performance can use 17's, Performance/Touring model 18s and can *only* use the track wheels if they're the same width and the offset is within 1/4". I don't know the track wheel dimensions are off the top of my head.

Nismo wheels aren't a factory option and aren't legal for stock. You'd probably be best off running some 17" Enthusiast wheels.. probably a little lighter, they're cheaper and tires are much cheaper. Just my opinion. Otherwise you're trying to find something light that's 18x8 with an offset between 25 and 35.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:03 PM
stumpmj

I love my Carbotech Bobcat pads for auto-x. Good grip and feel without being grabby. I've got a set MB motorsports comps in 17x9" for autocross. Obviously they aren't BS legal but the price was right!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:25 AM
orhanz33

do the nismo r-tune pads squeek a lot?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by durobred
do the nismo r-tune pads squeek a lot?

no

i dont know about auto-x, but for the faster road courses, i find the r-tune pads not so great
Old 08-27-2004, 08:00 AM
daveh

Sounds like the pads are your problem. ( I'm sure you're not boiling brake fluid in autox). I've had great luck with porterfield R4S pads. They don't squeak and offer a little more bite than a stock pad.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:08 AM
catfish2011

Originally posted by phoenixZ33
I'd just go with the Nismo R-Tune pads, I've used them and they work very well. Pretty cheap too. The pads alone should go a long way to fixing your brake fade. Fluid might help, but I'm guessing the pads are the problem.

I was at the dealership earlier this week, getting my 1K oil change - asked the parts guy about the Nismo pads for my enthusiast. I was told that the Nismo pads are only for the Brembo brakes. Can anyone here confirm or deny that???

thanx
Old 08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have a track model the track wheels won't be legal in BS.

You can run whatever size your model came with, the offset can differ +/- .25"

I'll be getting some Hawk HPS or pluses next week as my stock pads are finally about gone, after 32k miles, and well over 140 autocross runs...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got set of Enkei RPF1s with Toyo T1S for $1600 shipped. That's far best bang for the back. RPF1s are 15.6 or .8 lbs per 17x8" wheel.

ATE Blue braking fluid is very good and cheep fluid for autox. But I didn't notice any difference after I replaced stock fluid.

For brake pads you need compaund with high coefficient of friction working at low temps. Sinse in autox brakes are essentially always cold, most of the racing pads are out of question.

I finally went with Ferodo DS2500. The produce great coefficient at low temps and reasonably priced ($110 front)
Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my MB competition wheels from Discount Tire direct. 17x9, +27 offset, and weighs 20.5 lbs for only $140 each (shipped). Good deal.