Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

braking sound? help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Flipstyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default braking sound? help

i just got my 350z it was used with 30 thousand miles on it, i started driving it and it was perfect, i took it to the nissan dealership for an oil change and some 26 point check or somthing said nothing was wrong. But when i was driving with my friend he mentioned hearing a humming sound when i start slowing down. i assumed it was just the tight suspension that him and i werent used to. Then another friend of mine mentioned it. he said that i needed new rotors. But the car stops perfectly i cant feel anything and the sound just seems natural. another friend mentioned my brakes were loud. Is it just me or is the car just like that?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
drivenCSZ

is it just when you're pressing on the brakes?

what if you take your foot off the brakes and are just slowing and rolling? It could be tire feathering...in that case use the search function here or google and you'll find tons to read on that subject

or you could need your rotors turned or new rotors. The brakes on the Z don't last very long, and you have no idea how the previous owner drove it.

Last edited by drivenCSZ; 01-17-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Flipstyle

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
is it just when you're pressing on the brakes?

what if you take your foot off the brakes and are just slowing and rolling? It could be tire feathering...in that case use the search function here or google and you'll find tons to read on that subject

or you could need your rotors turned or new rotors. The brakes on the Z don't last very long, and you have no idea how the previous owner drove it.
well when i take my foot of the brake the sound is there its hard to explain really, but it has no effect to the car but sound, i ran my fingers through the rotors, the are ridges but not noticble at all, you have run your fingers through the rotors 3 or 4 times before you notice the subtle ridges, all i know is i assume nissan would have checked it out and told me, they did mention i would need new tires soon after like a 3 months. i think its just how the 350z is since its low to the ground i can feel whats going on and they must have mistaken it for a problem, im not 100% sure though
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by Flipstyle
well when i take my foot of the brake the sound is there its hard to explain really, but it has no effect to the car but sound, i ran my fingers through the rotors, the are ridges but not noticble at all, you have run your fingers through the rotors 3 or 4 times before you notice the subtle ridges, all i know is i assume nissan would have checked it out and told me, they did mention i would need new tires soon after like a 3 months. i think its just how the 350z is since its low to the ground i can feel whats going on and they must have mistaken it for a problem, im not 100% sure though

what year is your Z? does it sound like a roaring type sound?

definitly could be irregular tire wear...the Z is infamous for feathering.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Like the OP said...definetly sounds like the tire feathering issue. Park the car, turn the wheel all the way one way and run your hand down the inside tread line of the tire. If you feel significant ridges then you have a feathering issue.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the brake pads are worn, you will know it. You wont have to ask.

Are you concerned about possible rotor wear? Then measure them.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an '05 and my tires did major feathering (I always heard it called cupping). Mine would have a major "wubba-wubba" sound between 2-3000 RPM as I was coasting or accelerating.
The down-side of negative camber.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Flipstyle

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I've got an '05 and my tires did major feathering (I always heard it called cupping). Mine would have a major "wubba-wubba" sound between 2-3000 RPM as I was coasting or accelerating.
The down-side of negative camber.
yeahhhh " wubba wubaa " would be the best way to explain the sound. what is feathering? does that mean i need new tires?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by Flipstyle
yeahhhh " wubba wubaa " would be the best way to explain the sound. what is feathering? does that mean i need new tires?

feathering + 350Z

we also have a search function on this site. It's your friend.

but verry basically...the front tires wear unevenly and prematurely on the inside edge of the tire. You will probably need to get a good alignment done if this is the issue.

Last edited by drivenCSZ; 01-17-2008 at 06:29 PM.