Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Three tie rod choices- about time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:14 PM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three tie rod choices- about time!

Battle Version supposedly has inner tie rods- no info on their website (HELLO ALEX!) but people are using them. Price, availability, pics? Anyone?

JIC is now advertizing heavy duty tie rods for about $180, supposedly increasing steering angle for drifting.
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31935
Tein now has what appears to be tie rods and ends to increase steering angle:
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4014

Does anyone have first-hand info on these products to compare them?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Im in the market right now for these as well:

BAttle Version: I have heard really good things on these. They are modifed S14 tie rods that are i believe cut and welded to bolt right on to the Z. I was quoted 142 shipped for these not too long ago.

If alex can chim in that would be great for availbility, etc.

JIC: - new to me. the site says the picture may not be vehicle specific! but from the looks of that one i would like to have a complete tie rod, not a reuse of end fittings or anything like that?! maybe someone can comment on if im right or not?!

Tein - im looking into purchasing these.

IM more interested in the spacer used to push out the wheel/hub?!
- j

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-21-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
anotheraznguy

i had jic tie rods on my 240 and they broke 3 months in...
no i didnt hit anything i was on the track.
then when i told them what i did they said sorry no warranty you were on the track.
i went teins and they haven't done me wrong since.
also... tein offers inner and outer
jic is just inner
Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

boo JIC....

+1 for me ordering Teins, alex where are you?! let me know on availility buddy!?

-j
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 PM
12AutoX

I am running 10mm spacers and longer wheel studs on track days to allow my 35mm offset wheels room for the additional neg. camber from my Cusco A arms. I got Eibach spacers, and they came with the wheel studs. I like them. They should work fine for increased steering angle, too. I emailed Alex to see about availability on his parts, but it seems like a solid custom piece might be better than something fabbed from existing parts. + if you have to send him your tie rods, that means no car for a while
Considering the price, Teins might be the way to go, esp. if they also include tie rod ends.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Topics II

Don't forgot our modified tie rods!

http://stores.ebay.com/LS-Automotive...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 02-24-2007, 04:03 PM
12AutoX

Thanks for the additional option, and source for CF parts.

I spoke with Alex, and he thinks the Tein tie rods will be a cheaper/better option than what he can fabricate. He is ordering some, so he can compare them to OEM parts and see if the OEM rod ends will work with the Tein inner rods. I'm willing to work with him just for doing the research. He can sell the inner rods for $100 + shipping. He said he'd get them in Mon or Tues, so I should know more later.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Topics II

Originally Posted by 12AutoX
Thanks for the additional option, and source for CF parts.

I spoke with Alex, and he thinks the Tein tie rods will be a cheaper/better option than what he can fabricate. He is ordering some, so he can compare them to OEM parts and see if the OEM rod ends will work with the Tein inner rods. I'm willing to work with him just for doing the research. He can sell the inner rods for $100 + shipping. He said he'd get them in Mon or Tues, so I should know more later.
I'm pretty sure the "tein" tie rods are just the same as the s13 and s14. Which mean that you have to buy the inner and the outter for the tie rods to fit. You have to throw your stock outters away that have the notch in them for added clearance.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Topics II

Also... The LS Auto tie rods are one piece rods. Not cut and welded. And they have extra throw (angle) because of the add-on spacer AND machined inner joint.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 PM
LaoSiFu

First, don't flame me for not having any knowledge on these products. So far from what it is mention, it seem like these tie rod are for "drifting" purpose only. Not AutoX.

BTW nice to see a celebrity (Topics II) here.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 AM
12AutoX

I drift, too...

Both are excellent ways to understand the Z's dynamics and potential. Who is Topics II? Now that I've met Ryan Hampton, driven with Matt Petty, and exchanged email with Alex Pfeiffer, I'm curious as to who else is mixing it up with us common folk Edit- Chris Forsburg... how cool is that!

Last edited by 12AutoX; 02-26-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Its cool there are finally some different options for these tie rods. Best thing for me to do I guess is to give my take on some of them.

The Jic's are hit an miss. Some of thier products are really good but some just dont stand up to the abuse, one of which has been thier tie rods. They look beefy though.

The I personally like the tein inner tie rods and are the set I usually tell people to get. Unfortunatly they did not have a 350z specific size so it took some modifying to fit. Now they have a listing for that specific size and I'm supposed to be reciving a set in the near future to test fit. I'll let you guys know how that goes once I have them. It seems like someone was selling the tein inner and outter tie rods as a set to fit the 350z. I dont know if they where actually listed for that application or was for maybe an s14 and just sold as 350z?

I also dont personally like the tein outter tie rods as much as the stock ones. From past history, the stock outters have outlasted all the aftermarket brands. Which is also why I'm hoping the tein inners alone will fit with the stock outters.

LS Automotive are good friends and I've worked/partied with them many times. They also modify the inners to make it fit the 350z specificly. That would also be a good choice.

I'm not a vendor for this stuff and was only making the inner tie rods to help out a few friends. More angle is something every drifter wants.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by AlexPfeiffer
Its cool there are finally some different options for these tie rods. Best thing for me to do I guess is to give my take on some of them.

The Jic's are hit an miss. Some of thier products are really good but some just dont stand up to the abuse, one of which has been thier tie rods. They look beefy though.

The I personally like the tein inner tie rods and are the set I usually tell people to get. Unfortunatly they did not have a 350z specific size so it took some modifying to fit. Now they have a listing for that specific size and I'm supposed to be reciving a set in the near future to test fit. I'll let you guys know how that goes once I have them. It seems like someone was selling the tein inner and outter tie rods as a set to fit the 350z. I dont know if they where actually listed for that application or was for maybe an s14 and just sold as 350z?

I also dont personally like the tein outter tie rods as much as the stock ones. From past history, the stock outters have outlasted all the aftermarket brands. Which is also why I'm hoping the tein inners alone will fit with the stock outters.

LS Automotive are good friends and I've worked/partied with them many times. They also modify the inners to make it fit the 350z specificly. That would also be a good choice.

I'm not a vendor for this stuff and was only making the inner tie rods to help out a few friends. More angle is something every drifter wants.
Wow its Alex Pfeiffer. BTW Thanks for the knowledge.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Does anyone know if the LS-automotive one from ebay are inner rods only that have to use your stock ends?

or

are they a complete stock replacement tie rod with inner and outter?

- j
Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 AM
AlexPfeiffer

The LS ones are a replacement inner only.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:04 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by AlexPfeiffer
The LS ones are a replacement inner only.
wth are you doing up so early?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
12AutoX

Alex, did you get the Tein parts in yet? I'm still undecided.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 12AutoX
Alex, did you get the Tein parts in yet? I'm still undecided.
ya alex. same here....let us know if those inner teins work? thanks,
-j
Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
daytona350z

just got back from alex's place. he tested and fitted my z with the Z inner tie rods. so, simply, they work with the factory outer oem rod ends, you can just buy the inners from tein or whoever sells em i'll let alex further explain if he wants...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:41 PM
AlexPfeiffer

Yeah, The new tein inners and outters are direct replacement so you can pick up just the inners or both. I know Phase2motortrend (dot com) has the correct ones in stock and they are a registered vender here so hit them up. Thats where I picked up daytona's set.

I would have taken pics but forgot the camera at home and just didnt have the time today to run home and get it.

Quick Reply: Three tie rod choices- about time!