Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My REview: Cusco RS Type LSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 07:28 PM
daytona350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My REview: Cusco RS Type LSD

Hey guys, thought i would write my own little review on my latest mod to my car.

recently, i bought and had installed a cusco rs type lsd into my 03 touring 6spd Z. i disliked the vlsd from day 1 since i hated how it "locked" during some track/drift sessions.

install:
install was done here in so cal by a shop named Street Image. everyone was very helpful, nice, and most of all knowledgeable. took about 3hours total from drive in to drive out.

lsd settings were 80% lockup and full 2way setup.

first impressions:
the moment i left the shop, i knew the car was alot better and easier to control at the limit. no noise at all and best of all no "clunking". althought i already knew the RS type was the most quiet, i had a bad feeling that it would turn out to be like my friends nismo lsd.

i went to a lot and proceded to break my new lsd in. after about a total 1hr of figure 8's, i was about ready to barf. ahh well, you try driving in circles for a while, see how you feel

after that i drained the fluid and had some fun

Street:
this thing is very driveable on the street. no obvious noises at all. you can feel the engagement and thats about it. the obvious tire "scrubbing" is there, but that comes with installing a clutch type lsd. very manageable on the street. if i didnt tell my dad i installed it, he probably wouldnt have noticed it.

Mountain/spirited driving:
a couple days later, i took the car up to ortega hwy. a small run through to test the car out.
wow describes what i felt. no more "twitchiness" with the rear. it was planted and i could put the car where i wanted to. i gained alot of confidence by just this single mod.
yes, you do have to watch out because of the 2-way setup. it will surprise you if you do not know how to drive it fast.

Drift day:
this single mod alone probably helped the most this day. again, so much more control with the car in mid drift, and no worry about the stock vlsd being killed. it felt great and i knew where the car was gonna go at all times.

overall, i am very happy with my mod. im glad i didnt get the mz type of the nismo unit, or else that would have made me less excited about the lsd. but since this is the RS type, it feels good to have.

anyone who tracks their car and drives on the street and wants to have a liveable lsd, i would reccomend this unit to you. i am a very hard person to please with how my car is set up and this gets my approval.

most street testing were on 245/35/20f and 275/35/20r. i used a 245 for a couple days, nothing changed other than instead of the tire scurbbing they were chirping.

track testing/drift day were using 225/35/18f 245/45/18r.

if you have anymore questions you can post up.
thanks
Old 06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
ReavTek

Great Review. How much did the parts and install run you?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:58 AM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

ive never noticed any problems with my stock lsd....what didnt you like about it?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Machupo

mine still clunks a bit, but then i was only able to do 10 minutes of figure eights before security kicked me out of the parking lot... guess i'll have to go do more

mario -- there is almost no comparison between stock and this unit... i can absolutely hammer around turns now, when it starts working you feel like the car is rotating around the center (or the rear end is slipping out, but there is no squealing because it isn't actually slipping)... it's a wild feeling. Not to mention that turns I used to be able to take at 50mph or so, i can take at 70-75 now
Old 06-06-2005, 05:26 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by ReavTek
Great Review. How much did the parts and install run you?
IIRC the bearings and oil seals topped out at about $80.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:29 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by mario60185
ive never noticed any problems with my stock lsd....what didnt you like about it?

the stock lsd has a very small locking percentage first of all, making it a little hard when trying to manipulate the car during cornering/drifting.

another reason i dont like the vlsd is that it requires fluid to lock up the wheels. this isnt the greatest method for the track since sometimes you will be on and off the throttle during some cornering, and the fluid takes time to initiate the lockup.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no figure 8's need machupo

fill it with redline, drive for 500 miles or so, drain, refill and you are all good in da hood
Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Machupo

already done that -- still clunking at low speeds

been running redline MT-90 since the beginning, put 500 mi. on it, swapped out the fluid for more MT-90, did an autoX (it was AWESOME by the way), but it still clunks at low speeds (15mph and below under throttle or engine breaking... no noise @ neutral throttle)
Old 06-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what lockup is it set to? The more your lockup is set to, the louder it gets
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Machupo

pretty high, IIRC, 80% or max... i'll give BJ a call in the AM and find out for sure -- i'll tell you what, though... it kicks TOTAL *** on the autoX, can't wait to try the track
Old 06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by Machupo
already done that -- still clunking at low speeds

been running redline MT-90 since the beginning, put 500 mi. on it, swapped out the fluid for more MT-90, did an autoX (it was AWESOME by the way), but it still clunks at low speeds (15mph and below under throttle or engine breaking... no noise @ neutral throttle)

I'd try RP max. I've used MT90 and RP-max in LSDs , thumbs up to RoyalPurple Max. I use MT-90 in the 6MT, RP Max was "too" slippery for proper cold synchro operation .
Old 06-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Machupo

G3 -- thanks! i'll try that out when I swap next time (another couple autoX's )
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dammit...you all have me very excited. I have the ATS Carbon LSD sitting on the shelf...waiting for my tranny mechanic...he broke his hand two weeks ago. I think it is almost healed. We're going to install the new Level2 DriveShaftShop axles at the same time.

I also dislike the stock LSD for high performance driving. I also notice its behavior is very inconsistent between left and right turns.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:37 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by gq_626
Dammit...you all have me very excited. I have the ATS Carbon LSD sitting on the shelf...waiting for my tranny mechanic...he broke his hand two weeks ago. I think it is almost healed. We're going to install the new Level2 DriveShaftShop axles at the same time.

I also dislike the stock LSD for high performance driving. I also notice its behavior is very inconsistent between left and right turns.
Same here , I'm waiting to select a diff before installing the axles , diff and heat sink cover. I think I'm still goin to change out to the AT 3.3s, I just hate to loose my cruise control.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review Anthony- yet another reason why i made a good choice... cant wait to get mine Adam!! ^_^

--Ches
Old 06-10-2005, 07:53 AM
John

Originally Posted by daytona350z
another reason i dont like the vlsd is that it requires fluid to lock up the wheels. this isnt the greatest method for the track since sometimes you will be on and off the throttle during some cornering, and the fluid takes time to initiate the lockup.
Not to mention the near "one-tire fire" of the inside wheel that reminds me almost of an open diff. On almost every low-speed turn on track, I'm spinning my inside wheel... I definitely could use a higher lock-up ratio.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Machupo

John, you'll have to make another trip down here and try mine... as long as you don't give me the limited-edition Brembos, haha
Old 06-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

how much $$$ was the LSD?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
mchapman

Nice review,

Mountain/spirited driving:
a couple days later, i took the car up to ortega hwy. a small run through to test the car out.
wow describes what i felt. no more "twitchiness" with the rear. it was planted and i could put the car where i wanted to. i gained alot of confidence by just this single mod.
yes, you do have to watch out because of the 2-way setup. it will surprise you if you do not know how to drive it fast.

Can you give further detail on what you have to watch out for when driving the 2-way LSD fast?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:21 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by Jun
how much $$$ was the LSD?
was roughly $1k +parts and install.

Quick Reply: My REview: Cusco RS Type LSD