Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default File a complaint

(06CPV35) suggested this a few posts back, so I took the plunge. I mean there is nothing to lose, and this is just another avenue to get this oil consumption issue out in the open. Something that can slap Nissan around, forces them to fix the issue and not let them think they can keep this under the wire.

If we get enough complaints filed, then something will happen. Everyone that has time to post their issues here then definitely has time to file the complaints.

I filed a complaint with the government, safecar.gov which is part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. My file # is: ODI ID Number : 10209651
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

I also filed a complaint with the class action suit website.
http://nissan350zoilconsumption.com/...isclaimer.html

This is the statement I gave the class action suit website:

I have a 2006 Nissan 350Z. It started consuming a large amount of oil. At first it was a quart every 2000 miles and then degenerated to a quart every 1000 miles. I started to complain about the amount being burned. I went through the dealership and then Nissan Consumer Relations. The dealer tried to be as helpful as possible, but Nissan gave me the runaround. I would call. They would tell me that they would get back to me within 48 hours, which did not happen. When I would call them back, they would say that the case had been closed and I would have to open a new one. Finally, I threatened to hire an attorney and sue them for consumer fraud. The dealership was contacted by Nissan and they recommended that the engine be replaced. The dealership informed them that I had not abused the car and had been very careful in its operation. The engine was replaced. It has 3000 miles on it, but it is still burning some oil, not much, but too much for a new engine. When I purchased this auto in May of last year, I was not told that there was a problem with oil consumption. If I had been told so, I would not have purchased the car. Nissan had a responsibility to inform me of this prior to the purchase. By not doing so, they misled me. When someone buys a new car, they expect to be informed of any possible defects. I am still being given the runaround by Nissan Consumer Relations. I have asked for an additional warranty time period, seeing that this is a new engine, and once again, I am assigned a case number and told I will be contacted and once again it does not happen. When I call they have told me that they have called and left messages, but this has not happened, because there are no messages from them. This gives them an excuse to close the case. This has happened 2 times since the end of October.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by 9Kfever
Sorry misread your post and it scared me!
I will most likely have to take them to court to get a replacement due to the fact that I bought my car with 7000 miles. If I take them to quart I wont get my legal fees payed for right?
No worries...I'm sometimes known to not organize it such a way my point(s) are cut and dry and from which source I read the info.
I raced through the info and posted the same way not making it clear as I should of.

As far as Attorney fees go, not sure. Keep reading my post. Think I found a contradiction to BBB/Nissan agreed arbitration remedy and Attorney fees.

I'm very sorry to hear about your V2. I couldn't even imagine the frustration/disappointment in what you're experiencing and still the long road ahead for you.

-ZeeForce-
I was going off what you posted as a snippet pertaining to what Nissan has agreed to with the BBB under and not under the Lemon Law.

My statement:
It's interesting under the Lemon Law guidelines, Nissan will NOT pay for Attorney fees acquired from claimant.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....hmentid=168647
^Under the Lemon Law
-quote from -
If the claim meets all standards of the applicable lemon law, the arbitrator will award a refund or replacement vehicle including all remedies specifically provided by that law, excluding attorney’s fees, any penalties or multiple damages. -end quote-

In closer reading that quote, I find them contradicting themselves with excluding attorney fees, when apparently Attorney fees are refundable in the actual Law and BBB states award will be by that Law...haha.
I'm not an Attorney, but that seems to contradict itself. Sneaky....You might be able to call out Nissan/BBB on that one, if I'm understanding that correctly.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....hmentid=168648
^Agreement if NOT under Lemon Law
My statements after reading above link (snippet):
And if not under Lemon Law but for repurchase, will not pay original cost of sales tax, service contracts, etc. – Correct
And agreed. No quote needed.

And replacements will not include difference of MSRP's between newer and original model MSRP cost in replacements.
-quote-
If a replacement vehicle from the same or next model year is not available, the customer may receive a replacement vehicle from subsequent model years but will be required to pay the difference between the Manufacture’s Suggested retail Price (M.S.R.P.) of the current vehicle and the M.S.R.P. of the replacement vehicle. -end quote-

And if bought/leased used...you're out of luck with this route period.
-quote-
Important: Replacement is not an available remedy if the current customer purchased or leased a used vehicle. -end quote-
Replacement...yes out of luck, but they say nothing about repurchasing if bought used...Hmmm interesting.
Yes I did not make that clear in my statement.

Anyway...enough about that. We might need an abstract on this whole process comparing actual Law rights to BBB/Nissan agreed arbitration remedies. :sigh: Any Attorneys out there?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
(06CPV35) suggested this a few posts back, so I took the plunge. I mean there is nothing to lose, and this is just another avenue to get this oil consumption issue out in the open. Something that can slap Nissan around, forces them to fix the issue and not let them think they can keep this under the wire.
Thanks for that plug and for filing.
I created a separate thread for this subject as you suggested. It hasn't received any posts related to the actual context, but some views (66 to date).
Oh well, I gave it a shot to inform everyone for what it was worth. Same on Driver with one response...'good info'...and bumped off into the abyss of threads it went.
Same on here, with a moderator saying he would sticky it if I want, but feels the subject as 'this ship has sailed' and stickies don't get as much attention as regular threads.
Hopefully the viewers filed complaints and just didn't bother posting a reply.
Link to anyone interested in reading: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/316200-owners-of-vq-oil-consumption.html

I did read recently in the 06 G35 coupe complaints, someone filing their OC issue and had their VQ replaced.
Even though VQ was replaced, it has informed them of another factory VQ customer defect occurrence, which I feel is important they know about.

I would love to see the government TELL NNA to address this plague, rather than hearing continuous stories of owners not having their phone calls returned from NNA, and/or having to go the BBB/arbitration/Attorney route.

That makes me mad to hear what Z and G owners are going through and additionally what lies ahead for me personally along with others.
It's time for NNA to be called out on this publicly and by the government. This is a step that could make this closer to a reality and a wake-up call for Nissan with their games against their customers.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 11-25-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Anyway...enough about that.
Agreed, this one has been beaten enough: leave it to the BBB arbitrator to explain it.

9kFever,
I did not mean to confuse you, better to just let BBB inform you of the options. Keep us posted on your options.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
ZeeForce

Default All - Please file a complaint

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Thanks for that plug and for filing.
I created a separate thread for this subject as you suggested. It hasn't received any posts related to the actual context, but some views (66 to date).
Oh well, I gave it a shot to inform everyone for what it was worth.

Link to anyone interested in reading: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316200

It's time for NNA to be called out on this publicly and by the government. This is a step that could make this closer to a reality and a wake-up call for Nissan with their games against their customers.
I posted a reply on the thread. Very well written, you convey all of our concerns and displeasures with NNA. I also posted on the tech forum, already had a member file a complaint.

We just need to keep on everyone to take the five minutes and file the complaint.

Voicing complaints = resolution

And do not forget to post a reply here:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/316200-owners-of-vq-oil-consumption.html#post4732556
Old 11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

before i file this complaint do i click no or yes on this part?

There are occasions when NHTSA would like to provide automobile manufacturers with copies of questionnaires, including personally identifiable information (e.g. name, address, telephone number, etc.). Manufacturers, like NHTSA, use these questionnaires to identify safety-related defects, analyze alleged problems, and remedy safety defects. By providing manufacturers with questionnaires that contain personally identifiable information, manufacturers can contact owners to seek clarity, obtain additional details, and in some cases, inform the owners of actions being taken to rectify the problem.

If you would like to authorize NHTSA to release this questionnaire (including your personally identifiable information) to the manufacturer of your vehicle, please check the "YES" box. Your personally identifiable information will be used only for the purposes described above. If you do not wish to authorize such a release, please check the "NO" box and your personally identifiable information will not be released to the manufacturer.

See Privacy Statement below.

I hereby consent to the release of the personally identifiable information contained in this questionnaire to the manufacturer of my vehicle.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
06CPV35

^ I said no, being I felt what could NNA do any different than what they've already agreed to do or not do with me as a customer by contacting me personally because the NHTSA is now on they're ****. Filing of these complaints is a mass consumer rebuttal against a defect NNA has imo.
And personal contact by manufacture through NHTSA will not benefit me in this issue with the case I'm building aginst NNA.

NNA or in my case, Infiniti has already been contacted by me and I have a case number with them. Gave them my VIN along with my verbal complaint on unacceptable warranty standards on this issue. I did disclose my VIN # to the NHTSA when filing complaint. Name, address, phone I think as well, but can't remember being I filed a long time ago.
NHTSA has my info and I'm more than willing to talk to them with my details, but not Nissan/Infiniti through the NHTSA. Infiniti already knows who I am and why they know me.

I did not read the 'Privacy Statement' so I have no idea what it discloses, because I said no to their release of personal info to manufacture.

I'm not telling you what to do yes/no. Just voicing my choice and reason for saying no. My case may be different than yours, so your answer could be different to mine as being a benefit to you or not.

Thanks for considering and beginning steps in filing a complaint.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
I posted a reply on the thread. Very well written, you convey all of our concerns and displeasures with NNA. I also posted on the tech forum, already had a member file a complaint.

We just need to keep on everyone to take the five minutes and file the complaint.

Voicing complaints = resolution

And do not forget to post a reply here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4732556
+1000. And responded to your reply in my thread. Thank you for your support to hopefully benefit us all one way or another.
Wow...view count has gone way up since your bump...

Only wish there was the same support on Driver for the G's that are affected that seems to be happening here.
No matter...G's/Z's we're all one in my book with the same passion for these vehicles.
But on a selfish note...I have a G and hope there's a recall on those, but hopefully the Z's too...lol

Last edited by 06CPV35; 11-25-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
350zxtaz

Hello all.. I also have an 06 revup with oil consumption problems. Right now im at 1qt every 1000 mi. I have been going back and forth with the dealership and NNA about getting a new motor. But because I dont have all my service records they are giving me the runaround.

Anywho to make a long story short I just got off the phone with the Service Manager at Avondale Nissan in AZ. And he swears that they are gonna recall all 06 revups and replace the motors. He claims that this will happen within the next 2 months and they are just trying to get enough motors built to supply the demand.

Now is this guy full of **** or can anyone else confirm this? As most of you are I am tired of all the bs and I'm about ready to say fkuc Nissan and get another car. But IF this is true that would be awesome because I still love this damn car lol!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
StoneZtech

Originally Posted by 350zxtaz
Hello all.. I also have an 06 revup with oil consumption problems. Right now im at 1qt every 1000 mi. I have been going back and forth with the dealership and NNA about getting a new motor. But because I dont have all my service records they are giving me the runaround.

Anywho to make a long story short I just got off the phone with the Service Manager at Avondale Nissan in AZ. And he swears that they are gonna recall all 06 revups and replace the motors. He claims that this will happen within the next 2 months and they are just trying to get enough motors built to supply the demand.

Now is this guy full of **** or can anyone else confirm this? As most of you are I am tired of all the bs and I'm about ready to say fkuc Nissan and get another car. But IF this is true that would be awesome because I still love this damn car lol!!

Hey,

I don't think it's BS. A good friend of mine told me that his mom told him she was looking at news on TV. And she saw something about Nissan doing a recall.. She was not sure what model they were talking about but new it was Nissan. The reason she told him that was because he as 35th 350z.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by StoneZtech
Hey,

I don't think it's BS. A good friend of mine told me that his mom told him she was looking at news on TV. And she saw something about Nissan doing a recall.. She was not sure what model they were talking about but new it was Nissan. The reason she told him that was because he as 35th 350z.

Nissan just announced a recall on Altimas and Sentras (685000 cars in total)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...l_N.htm?csp=34

This is the recall she is talking about.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
TuckandTwist

After hearing all the trouble everyone's having with NNA/Local dealers I have to relate my story of how I got a new engine. I am not trying to start anything here I just want to let y'all know what happend to me. Please note, though, that my Z is an '04 model.

I bought the car used this summer with 56,000 miles on it. Took it the the dealer for the 60,000 check up and they fixed the clicking rear axle, changed the oil, and all the rest of the 60k stuff.

About two months later I noticed the oil pressure dropping very low at idle and went home to check the oil. I had to add 3 quarts to get it back to full. After reading about the issue here I went immediately to a different dealer across town and told them that it consumed 3 qts in 1500 miles and either the other dealer didn't fill it full when they did the 60k or it's consuming the heck out of some oil. They changed the oil, sealed the dipstick and drain bolt and told me to drive it 500 miles and to bring it back (ran the OC test).

I brought it back after 500 miles and it had consumed a quart of oil. At this point they (the dealership) contacted NNA and negotiated a brand new long block engine replacement under warranty. They also replaced the starter at no charge.

I had absolutely no problem getting a new motor on a car with 56,000 miles on it and not a single prior work history receipt. Nothing was known about this car yet they replaced the engine free. The dealer went to bat for me because they get paid by NNA to do the work. They (the dealer) wanted the revenue so they lobbied on my behalf (this is what they told me on the phone).

Although it's still very early on th enew motor - so far, so good. 350 miles and zero change on the dipstick.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
RBlover69

damn this continues...good luck fellas. I recently had a scare with my oil but then i realized after letting the car sit for 10 mins to cool down it was back at good ol H.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

crossing fingers there will be a new engine out soon cuz i dont wanna get a lawyer for this problem..
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 AM
350zxtaz

Well my car club in AZ is sponsored by Peoria Nissan (a different dealership then I have been dealing with) and their Service Manager has also confirmed there is a planned recall on the 06 revups. But he isn't exactly sure when it will be announced.

Hmm.. Im starting to think this may actually be true and Nissan is gonna do the right thing here (FINALLY!).
Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by 350zxtaz
Well my car club in AZ is sponsored by Peoria Nissan (a different dealership then I have been dealing with) and their Service Manager has also confirmed there is a planned recall on the 06 revups. But he isn't exactly sure when it will be announced.

Hmm.. Im starting to think this may actually be true and Nissan is gonna do the right thing here (FINALLY!).
dont count on it. I would bet on lord of the rings 4 return of sauron before i beleive there going to issue a recall.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
06CPV35

I've been hearing that from Nissan/Infiniti for over a year. Including a TSB, blah blah blah.

It's time WE initiated a possible recall, not NNA.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
ngynnhu

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well I just got back from nissan after i did my first oil consumption test. The service person said that my car is burning about 3/4 of oil right now. He told me that he could change out my motor now, but it would be a waste of time b/c it would still burn oil. He told me after talking to NNA that I should wait couple months b/c they will have a recall mid january or early feb. So in the meantime I just need to bring my car in every 500-700 miles so they can top off the oil...What does everyone think...Are they jerking me around or is it plausible. I know a lot of ppl say that a recall will never happened. Should I take any action or just wait till January/Febuary?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by ngynnhu
well I just got back from nissan after i did my first oil consumption test. The service person said that my car is burning about 3/4 of oil right now. He told me that he could change out my motor now, but it would be a waste of time b/c it would still burn oil. He told me after talking to NNA that I should wait couple months b/c they will have a recall mid january or early feb. So in the meantime I just need to bring my car in every 500-700 miles so they can top off the oil...What does everyone think...Are they jerking me around or is it plausible. I know a lot of ppl say that a recall will never happened. Should I take any action or just wait till January/Febuary?
NNA realizes the V2 is burning oil as well. They are just stalling to get people to hold off. I would get them to change it asap and that will be attempt #1. Also under lemon law you have to start the process before 18 months or 18000 miles (WHATEVER comes first) .
Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
luvZcar

9kfever hows the new motor holding up ?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion