Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Gotcha. The reason I'm asking is because I didn't change my oil until about 2500 miles. I know everyone is wincing at that, but the oil itself was fine when I drained it. Of course there were the normal teeny tiny metal speks from a breaking in engine but there wasn't any difference with the fluid's viscosity from what I could tell.

Another dude on here with a successful v2 didn't change his oil until a little after 3k. (correspondence via PMs)

I was wondering if there could be any link to early oil changes and the possibility of that keeping the rings from breaking in like they should.

Common sense says no, but with all these engines using the same exact parts, the only difference between the failing engines and the successful ones seem to me to be the way they are being broken in.
Lots of owners didn't change their oil like me either and are fails with many different physical break-in methods, so idk.

Too bad you didn't get a UOA done on yours. Bet its viscosity was sheared quite a bit regardless of no OC and your friend via PM too. You can't tell by looking at it.

My regiment on oil changes during break-in has nothing to do with how the rings seal/seat imo, just my 02. Possibly my rings are taking longer to seat/seal b/c of the semi-synth qualities in the blend I'm using compared to conventional. Who the heck knows at this point with these V2's.

Finding a common denominator in successes/failures has and still will be hard, if ever known.
My v2 engine hasn't been consuming after 6k miles. I hope it stays that way.
Good to hear yours no OC and still doesn't. Are you keeping your rpm's under 4K still? Or have you stepped it up a notch.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 07-19-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added quote about no OC for my comment
Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys glad to see some sucesses, im almost at 44k with my v2 no oil consumption i change my oil every 4k religously. But there is hope at the end of the tunnel and my revup is a very strong engine, performance wise its been really surpising to me how much smoother this engine is compared to my previous v1.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:04 PM
RandyK1

I have a 06 M/T that I need to get Oil Consumption tested. Should I take my Pop Charger and plenum spacer off before the test? I know they dont have anything to do with oil but I dont want Nissan telling me that its eating a half quart of oil every 1000 miles because I have a Pop Charger and a plenum spacer on my motor. Thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by RBlover69
Hey guys glad to see some sucesses, im almost at 44k with my v2 no oil consumption i change my oil every 4k religously. But there is hope at the end of the tunnel and my revup is a very strong engine, performance wise its been really surpising to me how much smoother this engine is compared to my previous v1.
Wow...very good to hear there's seems to be some longevity so far on these that are sucesses still with no OC. Thanks for that update.
Originally Posted by RandyK1
I have a 06 M/T that I need to get Oil Consumption tested. Should I take my Pop Charger and plenum spacer off before the test? I know they dont have anything to do with oil but I dont want Nissan telling me that its eating a half quart of oil every 1000 miles because I have a Pop Charger and a plenum spacer on my motor. Thanks
Depends on your dealer. Some don't care some do. I took mine all off except my Injen exhaust, but that was me. Many others left their mods on with no dealer issues, so it's really your call with how you think your dealer will react, good/bad. My .02, spacer yeah maybe take off, pop chrgr I'll say you're most likely fine with that.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:31 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, CPV. To answer your question, I put almost all highway miles on it for the first 1700, varied from 2-3k, never above 4k.

After those miles, I've been driving it normally (full throttle, readline, whathaveyou).

I agree, I should have gotten (and probably still should) get an analysis done.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 AM
06CPV35

Thanks for the feedback, CPV. To answer your question, I put almost all highway miles on it for the first 1700, varied from 2-3k, never above 4k.

After those miles, I've been driving it normally (full throttle, readline, whathaveyou).

I agree, I should have gotten (and probably still should) get an analysis done.
No problem. I'm close to you ~30/70 city/hwy. Even set-up my 'REV' light to activate at 3800rpm and never go over that. Have stepped it up a little with more moderate to semi-aggressive accelerations, but still staying under 4K.

Yeah do a UOA just for piece of mind. Some are really into it (every service) some aren't. Really tells you what's up inside as good/bad or a concern or not.

Hope to be in your shoes someday as with many others with success. I'm really tired of this revup VQ issue I've had since Jan 2006

I'll update my mm's when I do my service at 3750mi from 1740mi. Crossing fingers for less OC than past 1740mi per my sig.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
rickosae

Talking

Originally Posted by RandyK1
I did, I had a JWT pop charger and put back the factory air cleaner like it just came off the assembly line. Did'nt want to alloy any "confusion points" to my OC.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
E K

I just got a V2 for my 06 G35 coupe last week. For some reason they didn't fill the oil all the way, so it's started off 11 mm down from H. Hopefully it'll stay there.

I also had a new engine with my 03 5AT G35 coupe. I didn't bother with any break in, just drove it. It was still exactly at H 700 miles later. Never dropped even 1 mm.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 AM
jelly

hm... I have an 06 MT as well. I've been pondering about getting this V2 in my car as well, but after reading bunch of "unsuccessful" swaps, I'm a bit worried. Horror stories of dealers screwing up paints, scratches, curb rashes, etc are getting to me as well.

Does anyone know for sure if this swap is a definite FIX to this problem? I sure remember how Nissan "fixed" the tire feathering problem a few years back by providing new tires.... -___-;; geniuses....

This OC is definitely a bother, but I do make sure that I get my oil changed every 3-4k miles. I don't track my car either, and although I suspect that there is OC right now, I haven't had any engine problem since I got my car in Feb 2006. If this V2 fix by Nissan is just a temporary feel-good remedy again, I don't know if I'm down for this....

Thanks folks!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by jelly
hm... I have an 06 MT as well. I've been pondering about getting this V2 in my car as well, but after reading bunch of "unsuccessful" swaps, I'm a bit worried. Horror stories of dealers screwing up paints, scratches, curb rashes, etc are getting to me as well.

Does anyone know for sure if this swap is a definite FIX to this problem? I sure remember how Nissan "fixed" the tire feathering problem a few years back by providing new tires.... -___-;; geniuses....

This OC is definitely a bother, but I do make sure that I get my oil changed every 3-4k miles. I don't track my car either, and although I suspect that there is OC right now, I haven't had any engine problem since I got my car in Feb 2006. If this V2 fix by Nissan is just a temporary feel-good remedy again, I don't know if I'm down for this....

Thanks folks!
It's hit or miss. A lot of V2s fail, some succeed. Mine has consummed progressively worse through 3 oil changes. I am in consumption now on the
4th oil change. Didn't bother with 1000 miles this time, I am too busy to screw with this anymore, it's a pain in the a**. I will go back at 3,750 and see if it's another engine.

John
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 AM
jelly

ah... icic. thanks for your input!

i think i just might keep my current engine... it sips oil, but it doesn't look like there's any permanent solution to this.

thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hbenet
Mine had "no reading" on the dipstick at all. This was little bit less than a 1000 miles after a fresh oil-change which is when the trial started. My oil consumption has gotten worse and worse over the years. The new engine goes in tomorrow. Wish me luck!
1400 after an oil change running Mobile 1 Full Syn (NOT A GOOD OIL FOR OUR CARS) my engine blew up due to no oil in it.

I know folks on the third and fourth motor. I told my bud who is on his third motor...to ask Nissan to pay for a built engine from a performance shop. He would lose his warrantee but then he could go FI with a built motor at the expense of Infiniti/Nissan!

Good luck all....my engine is still holding strong, even after the vortech.

how did I break my motor in>?

I waited until 399 miles, not 3000 (basically for leaks and engine codes) then I beat on it for like 4 hours straight on the highway and city...and I mean beat on it....drove it like a borrowed mule...downshifts....donuts...full redline....I MEAN BEAT ON IT!!! Do you hear me! BEAT ON IT..its a performance car for Gods sake!.... because if it was low again, I was sueing Infiniti for their 40K paperweight!

I dont burn any oil now!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 AM
ArCtM

Got my car back from Nissan Yeserday. My V2 failed, I go back again in 1000 miles. They didnt tell me how low it was but I measuerd 12mm low right before I dropped it off.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
rickosae

I'm not getting too excited about getting my new engine next week. Does anyone know why they don't put in an 07??
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
ArCtM

Originally Posted by rickosae
I'm not getting too excited about getting my new engine next week. Does anyone know why they don't put in an 07??
I dont think it'd be an easy of a swap as you think.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Nismo1182

Originally Posted by ArCtM
Got my car back from Nissan Yeserday. My V2 failed, I go back again in 1000 miles. They didnt tell me how low it was but I measuerd 12mm low right before I dropped it off.
How many miles on your V2?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
yeah, i'd like to know also. it's normal for the engine to sip some oil down at break-in.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
E K

when I got a new engine in my 03 nonrevup, I just drove it without babying it. After 700 miles it didn't even go down 1 mm.

I just got a V2 in my 06 G35 last week. So far 270 miles, but I'm doing the same thing. Revving throughout rev range, but not trying to abuse it either. For some reason they didn't fill it up entirely, so it started out 11 mm low right after I drove <1 mile going home. But after the next 270 miles, it's still at the same level.

So I'm not convinced that we're supposed to have that much oil burn off even initially.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
06CPV35

^ Dealer didn't know that fresh VQs take ~5.75qts for initial fill is my guess. It states that in the service manual specs for a dry VQ, which our V2's are when swapped.

Not convinced either about OC in the beginning whereas some have none, but have heard some get better with time/miles to little or no OC
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 AM
ArCtM

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
It was 18XX miles. I thought it was excessive seeing that they already put the extra half quart.

Last edited by ArCtM; 07-25-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion