Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
JoeyFyed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno what you guys are smoking, but i gave up hope after my 3rd engine. Focus on lemoning it, these engines are junk... at least some of them
Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Doba

Ive read the last 5 pages to update myself on the situation, seems the talk is all about this Lemon crap, what exactly will come of the situation if the car does qualify for this Lemon law? Is nissan forced to buy back the car? if so at what value? black book

I wouldnt mind taking that $9000 value of the v2 and spending it on a 2JZ install

It really sucks hearing about people on their 3rd engine and still having problems, cause I love the 06 but I might be forced to buy an 05 or an 04.5
Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
mgnchakar

got my baby back with v2 install drove it to work everything seems cool ill check out the engine bay tonight I hope this is THE fix. anything that distinguishes the v1 from v2 when i look at the motor tonight; something simple on the outside...?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
zindy

so now i am joing the ranks of possible consumption. i am taking my car in next thursday. it looks like it is about 2 quarts low after only 1500 miles . i really hate the stupid dip sticks. the first 10k miles no issues, now at 11,500 low oil.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
zindy

also i wanted to ask you all when you do your consumption test who many miles are you going back for the check? i see mostly 1k miles but today the dealer said i will be back at 700 miles for checks. don't know if this works for me or againist me. shouldn't make a difference though.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by zindy
also i wanted to ask you all when you do your consumption test who many miles are you going back for the check? i see mostly 1k miles but today the dealer said i will be back at 700 miles for checks. don't know if this works for me or againist me. shouldn't make a difference though.
I would suggest returning the car in the 900 mile-950 mile range. Looking at the TSB on page 1, you can see what is acceptable OC is broken into 500-999 miles, 1000-1499 miles, etc.... Essentially if you check in 500 miles and 998 miles, the same 6mm low = OC applies. At 1000 miles-1499 miles 8mm = OC.

However, if you are losing 2 quarts in 1500 miles, then it doesn't matter much. That is unacceptable for 5000 miles.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgnchakar
got my baby back with v2 install drove it to work everything seems cool ill check out the engine bay tonight I hope this is THE fix. anything that distinguishes the v1 from v2 when i look at the motor tonight; something simple on the outside...?
No they look the same, but check your paperwork. Your replacement VQ number should end in a Z. Z=V2 and A=V1.
Originally Posted by zindy
With your consumption, you should easly qualify on TSB chart in 700 miles.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 02-07-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
ZPHILE

Just updated ZeeForce with a PM. Here's the jest of it. Drove 490mi since I topped it off. I'm stunned and in disbelief - it's less than 2mm on the ruler/dipstick! I was barely able to see any drop from the 'H'. I'm one on the bigger sceptics here. I'm wondering if this 2nd V2 will be 'OK'. Will keep driving and measuring and posting.

H.

Last edited by ZPHILE; 02-07-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been following the thread and will be going through the OC testing once Spring arrives. I am fairly certain that I am an OC victim. I've got about another month and a half to stew about it.

I read over on the tech site that once your drive your car hard, V1 or V2, OC will begin. Is it possible that those reporting successful V2 engine replacements are not driving their cars hard enough? But hey, maybe you got lucky and have a good engine - that is, at least, SOME hope for me.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by thekinn
I read over on the tech site that once your drive your car hard, V1 or V2, OC will begin. Is it possible that those reporting successful V2 engine replacements are not driving their cars hard enough? But hey, maybe you got lucky and have a good engine - that is, at least, SOME hope for me.
Believe me - I drive my car HARD! Not all the time. But when I can (No po-po's, great empty road, no wife in car, etc). Again, this is my first post break-in test. So, no celebration yet.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
SlipZ

im dropping my car in dealerhip this weekend for OC test. Are there any permanent fix on the OC. So the V2 engine was the fix?

thanks guys!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by SlipZ
im dropping my car in dealerhip this weekend for OC test. Are there any permanent fix on the OC. So the V2 engine was the fix?

thanks guys!
For some, it appears that it was! Check ZeeForce's list of V2 swaps. Some folks are happy and are done.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
For some, it appears that it was! Check ZeeForce's list of V2 swaps. Some folks are happy and are done.
they are better but far from perfect....
Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by thekinn
I've been following the thread and will be going through the OC testing once Spring arrives. I am fairly certain that I am an OC victim. I've got about another month and a half to stew about it.

I disagree....I baby'd the hell out of my replacement v1 and it was the worst of the three. I started off being easy on my v2 and its consumed...
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
ZLOC06

Originally Posted by 9kFever
I disagree....I baby'd the hell out of my replacement v1 and it was the worst of the three. I started off being easy on my v2 and its consumed...
I agree with you, I babied my V2, and less than 3K miles OC problem again. I feel bad for those of you who bought your Z as a daily driver. Lucky for me, I bought my Z as a weekend ride, I would go postal if I had to deal with this crap with a daily driver. Hell I'm almost there now!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM
ZeeForce

Default First page has been updated

The current V2 Install Stats List has been updated and can be found on the first page. I have been sending PMs to all the members old and new. If I missed someone in the last week, please PM me and I will send instructions on how to provide data to me for updating the Stats List. Also new is Engine Break-In from the owners manual, and a link to another method. The Stats Template has been revised to a cleaner format.

I added a new column to the Stats List that should be very interesting and a quick glance to see the current oil consumption and how it rates on the TSB Oil Consumption Chart. Also added under engine: “V2 or V1” members that have gone through more than one replacement, this does not include their original engine that came with the vehicle from the manufacture.

I have added some information to the first page regarding the BBB link that has ALL states Lemon Laws (very good site). Also added will be a great article on Reasons for Oil Consumption, it will posted soon, the file was too large and I will need to re-scan as a pdf and decrease the file size.

New info added to the first page:

The Better Business Bureau Auto Line (BBB): http://www.us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePa...d-7a3e16e8da33
Lemon Law (or Buy Back) information for your state can also be found on the above link.

Reasons for Motor Oil Consumption: provided by a reputable oil manufacture – AMSOIL: (coming soon)

Engine Break-In:
Attached is from the owner’s manual.

Here is a link to another method for engine break in. This method maybe controversial, I am only posting it for your own decision on which method to break in a new engine. Note: Most dealers will run the first 20 miles on the new engine before they hand it over to you.

To sum up the current V2 / V1 Install Stats we have:

Total 34 members
Buy-Back = 1
Not enough data or no update in a long time = 9
Recent new members with no response to my PM = 10

No Good Range = 3
OK Range = 11

The numbers above speak for themselves.

Cheers
-Curtis

edit...I just found an error on my part: Creation2 should be "No Good". I have corrected the numbers above and will correct the Stats List over the weekend.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 02-07-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
mgnchakar

i remember somewhere on this forum pics of the v2 were posted... the block before it was put into a Z. anyone know the link?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Yes, it was ZeeForces V2.
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=1441
Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by 9kFever
they are better but far from perfect....
Believe me. I AGREE 1000000% with the above! 9K, keep us informed with any advances with your fight. Keep updating!!! If this engine I have starts consuming, I will not just lay down. BTW - 9K who's the possible engine shop that can help fix the problem -GTM? Just curious. I went to them and talked to them about the issue. I want a rebuild that's bulletproof in order to go FI. I bet it won't consume after GTM gets ahold of it!!!

Last edited by ZPHILE; 02-08-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 PM
luvZcar

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Believe me - I drive my car HARD! Not all the time. But when I can (No po-po's, great empty road, no wife in car, etc). Again, this is my first post break-in test. So, no celebration yet.
as stated by others when i got the first replacement(v1) I followed the break in to the letter and it consumed oil

Last edited by luvZcar; 02-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion