Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 AM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I dropped her off today. The official drop-off date is Monday but i had to drop her off today so I wouldn't have to go to work late Monday.

My loaner is a Nissan Titan... woot. Time to do some housework!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 PM
IP05G35

The 07 motors also have the VVT on both intake and exhaust... are they having oil consumption issues as well? Is it too early to tell? I have an 05 VQ35DE in my auto G35 and it doesn't burn any oil at all in between 5k oil changes.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 AM
bofa

No one has reported any yet. With the new internals and intake I'm willing to bet they already modified the engine programming and have my fingers crossed that they already addressed this issue (since it's been reported for over 6 months now and the 07 wasn't released until Jan). That's just my hope though.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Lancaster

Does anybody foresee a situation where Nissan won't fix the problem? Rather just keep issuing new 'dysfunctional' engine swaps to only the persistant few who refuse to accept the defect...up until there is no more warranty

I just started monitoring my oil levels, but I definitely notice the black soot out the exhaust pipes, and it seems to be heavy and ever present. Fortunately I don't have any engine mods, but I have been doing quite a bit of work on my interior. As long as my 2006 can be 'righted' eventually, then I'll breathe easier..I would hate to put all these hours and money into mods only to encounter a situation where either I'll have to give up my car; or endure the defect.

-Rob
Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM
bofa

It would only work for so long with the Lemon Laws. As soon as the engine consumed oil after the final repair attempt they would be obligated to buy the car back or replace it. Not to mention it would get national attention real quick.. we would make sure of it.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do the other year Zs not have the heavy soot that collects at the end of the exhaust. I have not found any soot on the bumper yet. Mine has never burned more oil than what showed on stick though it would go high from the graded stick to right above low in less than 3k miles. So how much oil does the high mark on the stick to the low mark on the stick represent?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:04 PM
bofa

I've seen other Zs around town that do not seem to collect as much soot, but obviously all collect some. A drop of that extent (based on my experience) is likely about 2-3 quarts. The dealership will measure the consumption by the length of the level drop on the dipstick from the high mark. They don't confirm how much it is, but I've asked my service guy each time and they usually give me an estimate of what was left just so I can figure out how much it's burnt through volume-wise (knowing how much they use to fill it up).
Old 03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by bofa
It would only work for so long with the Lemon Laws. As soon as the engine consumed oil after the final repair attempt they would be obligated to buy the car back or replace it. Not to mention it would get national attention real quick.. we would make sure of it.
I'm hoping you guys that have had to take it to the Lemon Law level get results. My Z isn't my daily driver, so after 1 year and 3 months I"ve only put 7500 on it; oil twice changed by my dealer. I just really want to see a fix I'm up a creek for legal action since Louisiana Lemon Law only allows 1 year after you first receive the vehicle.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM
bofa

^Wow that blows. I've been told Nissan is working on a permanent fix but they just don't have it yet. I don't know how many have been successful with the Lemon Law on this issue so far.. I'm the only one that I know of that has gone this far with the issue.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly I hope they would get it fixed as well as they don't make my color anymore and I don't see one that compares IMO to sunset.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 AM
dbasal

^Wow that blows. I've been told Nissan is working on a permanent fix but they just don't have it yet. I don't know how many have been successful with the Lemon Law on this issue so far.. I'm the only one that I know of that has gone this far with the issue.
There was someone in Az that got his car bought back on this issue.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:08 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
So do the other year Zs not have the heavy soot that collects at the end of the exhaust. I have not found any soot on the bumper yet. Mine has never burned more oil than what showed on stick though it would go high from the graded stick to right above low in less than 3k miles. So how much oil does the high mark on the stick to the low mark on the stick represent?
I would say that you have the same problem. That is way too much oil to burn. You should have no oil loss between oil changes, assuming you are stock.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
locemuplj

I read the whole thread, I checked my oil and its on the L mark. I'm using m1, my car only has 7000m. I will be taking my car in tomorrow to performance nissan. I also noticed that it pinged a while back but I thought it was bad batch of gas. I will keep u guys posted. For all of you socal guys where are you guys getting better service?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Boostd4

After reading this thread shortly after getting my Z with 7700 miles on it, I've been monitoring the oil level closely.

I purchased the car on Feb 12, 2007 and I'm currently at 10,9XX miles. The dipstick was showing a little below the H mark on the dipstick when I brought the car home, and on Saturday when I changed the oil it was showing at about 1/3 just above the L mark. I emptied the oil I drained from the car and it worked out to be about 4.3 quarts.

So I'm assuming that over the course of just a hair over 3000 miles I've burned probably less than 1/2 quart of oil...which seems somewhat acceptable in my mind as I was burning over a quart in my S2000.

I'll continue to monitor my oil...but I'm hoping I don't see a huge increase in oil consumption.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
bofa

Well, I heard back already!

The tech saw the car today, confirmed the oil consumption and asked the service guy to replay this offer to me- according to the rep they are working on a soultion that requires hand-built engines "for the select few" that are experiencing this problem but they don't expect to have any available until at least June. I smiled and replied... "he has 10 days". They told me they wouldn't have a fix in time so I pick up the Z tomorrow and proceed with arbitration... looks like I'm one step closer to moving on with this issue and maybe getting into an 07.

On the tech's comments...
BS on the select few... there are hundreds with this issue if not more and they previously admitted that it affects all REVUP motors with 6MT
BS on the hand built engine if it's still an ECM problem
BS on letting them put a hand built engine in my car. If I was to go that route it would be a built engine through one of our reputable vendors
BS on June... another delay.

Just my .02 Enjoy.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
dbasal

Well, I heard back already!

Just my .02 Enjoy.
Typical Nissan.

An interesting point is that hand built engine. If that is going to be the solution, then they would seem to be saying it has nothing to do with the ECM software. Just more gas on the fire of why they rebuilt 80% of it to get to the HR. You are correct though, it is not a select few as you can see from all the comments from 06 owners.

Hopefully arbitration goes well. I have a funny feeling they will be calling you back with something else to prevent you from proceeding.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
bofa

^My thoughts exactly.

At this point delays are futile. The 10 day window started and ends soon. If I pick up the car, I'm considering it over. I'm calling the agency that's handling my claim (BBB) tomorrow to see what's next.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM
ZPHILE

Been monitoring the post. Supposedly, I've 'passed' the consumption test. I say BUNK to that. I lost 1qt in about 700mi in one test. I'm going to call Nissan America just to pester and get more attention to this. I'll go through the consumption test again as needed.........
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Been monitoring the post. Supposedly, I've 'passed' the consumption test. I say BUNK to that. I lost 1qt in about 700mi in one test. I'm going to call Nissan America just to pester and get more attention to this. I'll go through the consumption test again as needed.........
That certainly is not right. Even Nissan says over a qt in 1000 miles is excessive. How the heck is that passing? What were the results of the other tests?
Certainly too much. Sounds like you have a case.

I know my miserable dealer lied on the last one and made it my lowest and then reported that to Nissan.

Currently, back with dino, I am down what appears to be 1.5 qts in 2500 miles.

For me, dino did not burn as much as synthetic, but is still excessive.

Good Luck

Last edited by dbasal; 03-26-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
bofa

The dance continues...

I heard from the BBB rep. She is sending noification to Nissan that the repair attempt was unsuccesful and to see if they want to offer a settlement (can take up to 14 days). I also have to complete another packet and return it to the BBB with the final repair invoice. If Nissan makes an offer to my liking, then I can accept. If not, we'll have to arrange arbitration. If I don't like the outcome of that, it's time to get the attorney involved.

Hopefully this is helping some of you realize what you have ahead of you. Also, for those of you considering lemon law, take note that the "fix" supposedly will be available in June. That gives you an idea of a timeline to file for lemon law without dealing with a supposed fix since you know they only have 10 days to repair. I highly recommend using the BBB Auto Line (so far, so good).

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion