Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:42 PM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
The dance continues...
It certainly is a load of fun, but I am certainly grateful for all the info you have given. Hopefully they will give you the offer you want.

From what you have said, I would be a bit concerned about the fix though. By them saying that they would be willingly to give you a hand built engine tells me it is some form of design flaw with the engine and not a software problem as we originally were told.

If Nissan goes ahead and comes up with a software fix (certainly the cheapest route), then this would only mask the problem and truly not fix it. The only true solution is what they offered you to everyone with this problem. That would be highly unlikely.

Well, this is all speculation on my part. Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:52 PM
antennahead

The dance continues...

I heard from the BBB rep. She is sending noification to Nissan that the repair attempt was unsuccesful and to see if they want to offer a settlement (can take up to 14 days). I also have to complete another packet and return it to the BBB with the final repair invoice. If Nissan makes an offer to my liking, then I can accept. If not, we'll have to arrange arbitration. If I don't like the outcome of that, it's time to get the attorney involved.

Hopefully this is helping some of you realize what you have ahead of you. Also, for those of you considering lemon law, take note that the "fix" supposedly will be available in June. That gives you an idea of a timeline to file for lemon law without dealing with a supposed fix since you know they only have 10 days to repair. I highly recommend using the BBB Auto Line (so far, so good).

"take note that the "fix" supposedly will be available in June"
Can you elaborate on what you know about this, or was told by the dealer, as to what this fix might be, and is June a reliable proposed date? I'm assuming this fix is not the "handbuilt" engine mentioned. Thanks and good luck with your case!

John
Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 PM
kjohnl

interesting thread

Last edited by kjohnl; 03-28-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM
350Z_LMS

what's this fix then? I've had my engine rebuilt in the workshop with new piston rings...am currently running the engine in and monitoring oil consumption
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 AM
aren21

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
what's this fix then? I've had my engine rebuilt in the workshop with new piston rings...am currently running the engine in and monitoring oil consumption
so is it still burning oil, or did the new rings solve the problem???
Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by dbasal
That certainly is not right. Even Nissan says over a qt in 1000 miles is excessive. How the heck is that passing? What were the results of the other tests?
Certainly too much. Sounds like you have a case.

I know my miserable dealer lied on the last one and made it my lowest and then reported that to Nissan.

Currently, back with dino, I am down what appears to be 1.5 qts in 2500 miles.

For me, dino did not burn as much as synthetic, but is still excessive.

Good Luck
To answer your question other two cycles/tests were ~ .25qt lost for the 700 mi intervals. Yeah, I guess I was just happy that the comsumption went down some with the change to dino. Thanks for all the support and the posts. BTW - I will force the issue until a fix is accomplished. I'm waiting on 350z_LMS' results with the new rings. Let us know!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
To answer your question other two cycles/tests were ~ .25qt lost for the 700 mi intervals. Yeah, I guess I was just happy that the comsumption went down some with the change to dino. Thanks for all the support and the posts. BTW - I will force the issue until a fix is accomplished. I'm waiting on 350z_LMS' results with the new rings. Let us know!
Well. I just came back from the dealer. I can tell you from being there a little over a month ago to now things have changed. Back then, they knew nothing of oil consumption. Today, they just asked "06? MT?" and then repsonded with "They still haven't figured it out yet". Pretty scary how long it is taking them, but he told me that it has nothing to do with just a batch of cars. It is the engine in general.

Last edited by dbasal; 03-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by antennahead
"take note that the "fix" supposedly will be available in June"
Can you elaborate on what you know about this, or was told by the dealer, as to what this fix might be, and is June a reliable proposed date? I'm assuming this fix is not the "handbuilt" engine mentioned. Thanks and good luck with your case!

John
All I can tell you is that the only fix the engineer offered was to install a hand-built engine and said that none would be ready until at least June.

dbasal, I with you and am concerned about the different stories between the ECM or the engine build. It doesn't add up which is why I think they're still guessing and wouldn't suggest anyone hold their breath on the June timeframe.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Durden76

I just heard today from the service manager who is handling my consumption problem that Nissan is developing a TSB (technical service bulletin) for the oil consumption on 06 MT Zs and will have a solution soon. Don't know yet what or when the solotion will be. I'll keep you all posted when I get an answer.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
RBlover69

Reporting in from today which my car has scene a quart of oil gone in 2 weeks, They have me on my final cycly 1000miles more and the dance begins. They where talking about a new engine , but honeslty its the revup thats causing this issues, i even spoke to jeremey and maybey its the excess vacuum or VTC or something thats making these engines thirsty. Well i cant touch my oil cap until these fools decide on the way to attack the problem. Currently being viewed by universal nissan. So im hopeing they get a fix soon. Im glad i did no mods so that the blame didnt go there. Anyone realize that these revups run lean aswell. Moreso then the 287s. If the fix ends up decreasing power i will be in court.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:28 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for not reading through all 25 pages if its in there but I am looking to buy a 2006 6speed z. The production date for the car is 10/05. The guy Im trying to get the car from says that he checks the oil every gas fill up and he has never seen a decrease in oil. But I know that there still could be a chance of consumption. Heres the real question, with that build date is there more of a chanec that it dosent have the consumption problem? I thought I remember reading that most with the problem had build dates from 2/06+
Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
bofa

Durden.. the whole "soon" solution thing has been played out for months. I had the regional engineer look at my car 4 days ago and he confirmed it would be at least June. Don't buy everything you hear.

RB, my revup seems to be running very rich.

silverstripes, everything I've heard leads me to believe it affects all REVUP motors paired with the 6MT. Most of the people not showing high levels of consumption are not driving their car very hard. The harder you drive, the more it seems to consume.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
dbasal

All I can tell you is that the only fix the engineer offered was to install a hand-built engine and said that none would be ready until at least June.

dbasal, I with you and am concerned about the different stories between the ECM or the engine build. It doesn't add up which is why I think they're still guessing and wouldn't suggest anyone hold their breath on the June timeframe.
I also was told back in January that they would have a fix in by end of February. So much for that one.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by silverstripes
Sorry for not reading through all 25 pages if its in there but I am looking to buy a 2006 6speed z. The production date for the car is 10/05. The guy Im trying to get the car from says that he checks the oil every gas fill up and he has never seen a decrease in oil. But I know that there still could be a chance of consumption. Heres the real question, with that build date is there more of a chanec that it dosent have the consumption problem? I thought I remember reading that most with the problem had build dates from 2/06+
Honestly, I would not even take the chance. By buying it used you will lose the ability to apply the lemon law. I would just buy an 07 and hope the HR resolved this issue.

We have discussed in this thread about getting the motor built out. I supposed if your plans were to do that using a very reputable engine builder (there was one mentioned on this site previously, but I can't seem to find it now), but without knowing the true problem there is no guarantee this would even fix the issue.

Plus, unless you are getting a hell of a deal on that 06, you can probably get an 07 for just a little more from a dealer, brand new. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
TheOtherRob

dbasal,

Well the 06 I found is in the lemans sunset that I want and the guy is letting it go to me for 23k. I would like to buy a 07 but I dont think that I would be able to afford it. So in my case, do you guys think I would be better off with an 05?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by silverstripes
dbasal,

Well the 06 I found is in the lemans sunset that I want and the guy is letting it go to me for 23k. I would like to buy a 07 but I dont think that I would be able to afford it. So in my case, do you guys think I would be better off with an 05?
All I can say is that I have heard very good things about the 05. It seems to have no major issues from what I have read. Don't get me wrong, my 06 is perfect except for the oil consumption, but that is just too big of a defect and I would be very concerned when the car were to get older.

Why is he getting rid of the 06?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:10 AM
TheOtherRob

His wife is having a baby in april. I was hoping that the car didnt have the problem but, it would be wierd that most have it and some dont. I have been looking for an 05 under that price range for the same amount of miles and it seems impossible. Why are 05's selling at the same or higher prices as 06's? Does everyone know about the problem? Every dealer i called in my area when I was looking for a z had no idea about the oil problem, and neither did the guy im buying the z from.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 AM
MasterRacer

wow what a long a$$ thread lol didn't read it all but I ran into a problem
with Oil consumption as well, my build date was 2/06 sooooo from what I had
previously heard around here it was supposed to be in that "bad" period of time where the cars were having oil issues. I check my oil every other week or so. A few months ago my car was running low on oil and didn't know it. Figured I didnt need to worry, its a new car right???? WRONG! I was like WTF? LOW oil??? I dont really drive the car that hard but still I took it to the dealer did oil consumption test and they said that everything was normal that 1 qt of burn off is considered normal......I was like ummmm ok w/e. They then pointed at the intake mod and I was like ur full of it! I do keep the oil at a topped off kinda state as I dont wanna see it get low again.....and the dealer also told me NEVER USE SYNTHETIC OILS on the Z only DINO oil?????? What gives
Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 AM
zeekle

Well for what its worth here in Nashville there is a shop that just works on z cars and I talked to the main mechanic (doing so presell investiation) and he told me the same thing. He said to only run dino oil.

He also told me he had not personally seen the problem but I assume that is because anyone that has the problem at this point is dealing with the dealerships.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:20 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
wow what a long a$$ thread lol didn't read it all but I ran into a problem
with Oil consumption as well, my build date was 2/06 sooooo from what I had
previously heard around here it was supposed to be in that "bad" period of time where the cars were having oil issues. I check my oil every other week or so. A few months ago my car was running low on oil and didn't know it. Figured I didnt need to worry, its a new car right???? WRONG! I was like WTF? LOW oil??? I dont really drive the car that hard but still I took it to the dealer did oil consumption test and they said that everything was normal that 1 qt of burn off is considered normal......I was like ummmm ok w/e. They then pointed at the intake mod and I was like ur full of it! I do keep the oil at a topped off kinda state as I dont wanna see it get low again.....and the dealer also told me NEVER USE SYNTHETIC OILS on the Z only DINO oil?????? What gives
As I experienced, it does not seem to matter if you use dino or synthetic, you will still have oil loss. I did not seem to lose as much with dino, but it was still excessive (1.5 qt in 2500 miles officially).

It sounds like your dealer is simply looking for excuses as to why not to bother with you or deal with this issue. If it wasn't so sad, I would never stop laughing when they told me that 1qt per 1000 miles was normal.

My build date is 04/06 and I drive 90% highway and still have this problem. Keep at it and keep everything well documented.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion