Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
vrfreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guys i have a question about this oil consumption thing!
i just got a 06 z base MT and unfortunately i havent read about this problem before i bought the car!
now that i know i will keep an eye on things!

anyways my question is because its a pre owned vehicle and i didnt buy it through a nissan dealership, if i would have need my engine replaced would it still work the same way like described in the TSB?????

thx in advance...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Should. Factory warranty follows the vehicle.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 AM
RBlover69

the process for getting the motor checked has been the same since years ago in this threads beginning. Its sad to see my fellow revup owners still having this issue. My V2 has almost reached 100k of daily driving and some HPDE , use no excess burn off from the mobile OW40 oil. ( during HPDE i do top off) but for daily driving the V2 has been the answer. All i would have to say for current gen owners with that issue is be persistant and do research on using good oil ( i used blackstone testing ) and educating yourself on the process. Im one of the oldies here with in the revup scene and remember what it was to loose 2 quarts when i had my first V1 motor, good luck and def check the beginning of the thread tons of info.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I am about to build a stroker with the money from my extended warranty.

I sent Blackstone a sample three weeks ago and still have not gotten the results. They seem to have gotten much slower lately.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
bimmertech

so i tore down my revup tonight after being denied warranty coverage--long story i'm not going to get in to.

a little background, 45k miles, bought the car at 25k miles 3 years ago. it has burned oil since the first day i got it. oil changes have been done very regularly--on tear down the engine was spotless. i do track my car on occasion, but i do have a larger radiator and a nice big oil cooler. i have an uprev tune and boltons, engine has never seen boost or nitrous. the tune is spot on afr's and has never had audible ping.

upon removal, it was noted that all of the pistons were at least cracked--most had large chunks of material broken off. it must have been this way for a very long time as the material around the broken parts have been pounded smooth(kind of hard to tell in the pics):

Name:  Picture044.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  Picture045.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  81.8 KB

just posting this as i hope owners that are having this problem get it taken care of asap, before major carnage occurs. good luck
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I'm collecting the parts for a stroker build. All I need is cams & valve springs. Have bought everything else.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I'm collecting the parts for a stroker build. All I need is cams & valve springs. Have bought everything else.
^^^ JWT C8's? And spring kit?

Damn Bimmer thats really great you posted the info. Good work! ****ing Revups... What was your consumption like so I know when to do something about mine?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 AM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
^^^ JWT C8's? And spring kit?

Damn Bimmer thats really great you posted the info. Good work! ****ing Revups... What was your consumption like so I know when to do something about mine?
when i bought the car at 25k it was about 1 qt every 1k miles. last time at the track i would burn a qt every 15 minute session, ultimately leading to me being black flagged for oil smoke. so much crankcase pressure would build up that the breather hose would blow off and spray oil everywhere.

i have new cosworth pistons, power enterprise h-beams, jwt c8r's, jwt springs, ati balancer, and some acl bearings that are going in as we speak.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmertech
when i bought the car at 25k it was about 1 qt every 1k miles. last time at the track i would burn a qt every 15 minute session, ultimately leading to me being black flagged for oil smoke. so much crankcase pressure would build up that the breather hose would blow off and spray oil everywhere.

i have new cosworth pistons, power enterprise h-beams, jwt c8r's, jwt springs, ati balancer, and some acl bearings that are going in as we speak.
cool man. Sorry about the engine issues, but I hope it all comes together well for you. Maybe consider a new thread in the N/A build section..

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds-498/

It would be nice to follow your progress and results.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Wu-Watt

See the black streak on the floor behind my Agency Power single?

I'm probably going to do something in 2012... I'm burning a qrt per 1000 miles if I'm lucky.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I'm going through 2quarts per 1kmi.

Right now I am going BC stage 2 cams and Supertech dual springs. It is a DD I don't want to have to deal with too aggressive cams, I could change my mind between now and next week when I order.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 01-28-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
^^ Make sure your dipstick's range is 1 or 2 quarts... From H-L on my stick is 2 quarts, but on others its only 1. There was a guy that posted this in this thread a while ago, he figured this out on his G35. He thinks that the dealers are switching out the dipsticks so that when you do the consumption test it will appear that it passes the test based on the measurement on the dipstick. But if you were to drain the oil and measure it, the level would be considerably lower. I found this out when it took 2 qrts to bring it to H from L.
Then this guy made that post and it all made sense, Nissan is trying to trick us!!!
*Speculation
But the TSB specifies that they measure the level with a metric ruler.

8mm is 8mm, no matter how the dipstick is marked. Changing the dipstick won't won't change the measurement.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

They measure 8mm from the H line.

If they move the line it is ok.

I marked mine so if they tried to pull that I'd have known.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM
travis0260

Hey guys, I also drive an 06 manual 350z with oil consumption problems. I've read most of the posts on this thread but I'm not going to read all 225 pages since we all have better things to do with our time.

I have one simple question

What causes the oil consumption issue?

is it faulty bearings, valve guides, pistons, crank case ventilation, etc? I just want to know what the cause is so that if I ever decide to have the motor built I replace/fix the faulty parts that cause the oil consumption.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
06CPV35

^Nissan has been to my knowledge tight-lipped as an official cause publicly, but think we all can safely assume mainly the rings.

IMO additionally ring pack design on pistons, but emissions probably have NNA's hands tied on re-designing/changing that configuration.

Valve guide seals thought as well, hence the reason for long-block replacements on prior TSB's.

Now only short-blocks with current TSB. So valve guide seals apparently not part of the equation...or still are?...who knows why only short-blocks now. I can think big Corp biz and over-head costs concerning warranty claims for years on this OC issue, but I'll stop there with that thought. Wouldn't surprise me though....

My oil catch can proves factory PCV system/valve cover oil baffle design issues. NNA has not addressed this and probably never will. Least I know where/why some of my OC on dipstick disappears to now.

These all my opinions and observations. Take it for what it's worth, but hope it helped.

Cheers.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
travis0260

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^Nissan has been to my knowledge tight-lipped as an official cause publicly, but think we all can safely assume mainly the rings.

IMO additionally ring pack design on pistons, but emissions probably have NNA's hands tied on re-designing/changing that configuration.

Valve guide seals thought as well, hence the reason for long-block replacements on prior TSB's.

Now only short-blocks with current TSB. So valve guide seals apparently not part of the equation...or still are?...who knows why only short-blocks now. I can think big Corp biz and over-head costs concerning warranty claims for years on this OC issue, but I'll stop there with that thought. Wouldn't surprise me though....

My oil catch can proves factory PCV system/valve cover oil baffle design issues. NNA has not addressed this and probably never will. Least I know where/why some of my OC on dipstick disappears to now.

These all my opinions and observations. Take it for what it's worth, but hope it helped.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply, it helps.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
EvanV

I just had my short-block replaced this week (V2) and got the car back this morning. Took about 4 days (Monday until Thursday 4PM) to replace the short-block. Had oil consumption since I took delivery of the car in 2006, but I was aware of the issue before buying the car and would just top up the oil every 1000 miles.

I just had a question regarding the replacement blocks. Those of who you had the block changed, are you guy's running conventional oil? I was running conventional until about 8000 miles, switched to synthetic (Mobil 1) from 8000-46000, and the dealership told me to go back to conventional for the OC tests since they thought it would be a waste of money since my car was consuming anyways. Car is at 47,500 now, with the new block and conventional oil. Should I continue to run conventional oil again until 6000-7000 miles, and then go back to synthetic? Or can I go back to synthetic right away? Any particular brand to recommend?

I am also following the break-in procedures as outlined by Nissan (no WOT or going above 4000 RPM etc. etc.).

Last edited by EvanV; 02-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I ran conventional during the break-in because I changed the oil 2-3 times during the first 2000+ miles, and I read that conventional was better during break-in.. who knows. I switched to synthetic after 2k+ miles.

I've had luck with Pennzoil Platinum 5w or 10w-30. I used Valvoline conventional during break-in.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 AM
laser-g

my 03 is using 1.5 quarts every 3k miles i have a extended warranty but I keep getting the run arround at the dealership. when it measure 8mm they come back and say it is only 5mm.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil consumption and emission problems

Maybe this has been discussed somewhere in last 250 or so pages, but for those of you that have had oil consumption problems long term, have you had any additional problems caused by excessive oil consumption?

Specifically, it seems to me that excessive oil cosumption would lead to plug fouling and misfires (P0300-P0301...306) and contaminated cats. Possibly other problems, like the EGR system, etc.

Mine has 48K on it, and uses about a quart every 3000-3500 miles (more if I drive it hard). Because I really dont want a "dealer installed" engine, and since I see that many replacment engines have been no better than the originals, I don't plan to press for an engine replacement. By itself, a quart every 3000 or so is no big deal to me. But I worry about kind of long term effects mentioned above.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion