Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the guys there know me by name and we're on really good terms. They won't be able to see that the MREV2 is there, and they haven't given me trouble with any of my other mods (heck, they actually installed my Stillen TD exhaust and HFCs back when I had those) If they give me crap for the ART Pipes and Exhaust, or K&N Drop-in I'd be really shocked. We shall see.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I'm down 6mm after 600 miles. I'm pretty sure there is a new motor in my future. If they give me a hard time about my mods I'll tell them I'll take it to another dealer.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Derek07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been on here for quite some time now, my posts start many pages back with my '06 Z, and I am not proud to say I am a veteran of this stuff. My 3rd engine failed the consumption test today (950mi, 14mm low), after ~20k of no loss. Now they are looking to install my 4th engine (shortblock this time as per the revised TSB), but I have contacted NNA to talk options.

The dealership I use (Future Nissan in Roseville, CA) has been fantastic, absolutely top notch in service. No complaints. My issue is with Nissan and the issues that are still not addressed with our engines. Replace the engine for the 4th time? Really? I hope NNA gives me some options that allow me to keep the Z.

My advice for those of you who are going through this for the first time....don't let Nissan push you around on this, hold them accountable.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 PM
AwGeeze

My 06 has def been consuming oil. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow so they can check it out.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 AM
rickosae

Question

Originally Posted by Derek07
I have been on here for quite some time now, my posts start many pages back with my '06 Z, and I am not proud to say I am a veteran of this stuff. My 3rd engine failed the consumption test today (950mi, 14mm low), after ~20k of no loss. Now they are looking to install my 4th engine (shortblock this time as per the revised TSB), but I have contacted NNA to talk options.

The dealership I use (Future Nissan in Roseville, CA) has been fantastic, absolutely top notch in service. No complaints. My issue is with Nissan and the issues that are still not addressed with our engines. Replace the engine for the 4th time? Really? I hope NNA gives me some options that allow me to keep the Z.

My advice for those of you who are going through this for the first time....don't let Nissan push you around on this, hold them accountable.
Hi Derek07, I'm in a very similar situation with my 05 AE, except I am on my 4th engine and at <1000 miles I had them start another OC test. So much for the short block theory (last repair). Same beef with NNA, love the car and the dealer which has been super supportive but I don't think Nissan has a solution. Two engines ago I got a lemmon law layer involved. NNA obbviosly knows that their in suit and keeps replacing engines, go figure. Anyway if I loose I can dance with them virtually forever, I have a extended warranty (7 years) and there is a 12mo warranty on every engine. Wish they would come to their sences and just settle up with me soon.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Armed Ferret

wouldn't a simple hone and re-ring solve this problem? or is it some other issue entirely?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Armed Ferret
wouldn't a simple hone and re-ring solve this problem? or is it some other issue entirely?
Apparently the stroke on the HR is a little longer than on the revup, which could be an indication. But other than that it could be the materials they are using for the piston rings. I read somewhere in this thread I believe that the piston ring manufacturer didnt follow Nissans spec's as far as the metal grade, causing ring failure.
So I agree with you that the hone/re-ring would solve the issue, using an aftermarket manufacturers parts. I would not try it with factory Nissan parts. But not many want to spend the $ to fix it.
I bet nissan takes these engines when they come out of the cars and does that, using the same crappy piston rings. And thats why they keep failing. Nissan dealers soak up warranty claim costs correct me if I'm wrong. So put yourself in Nissan's shoes. You got potentially hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the roads that are ticking clocks. What is the cheapest way to fix the problem? Replace all the vehicles engines with entirely new units? Times a hundred thousand or more? No way, you start taking the engines and rebuild them for a reasonable cost compared to a entirely new engine. And then let the dealers soak up all the engine swapping costs. Thats why in the beginning the dealers were breaking everyones *****, but when they realized the magnitude of the situation
they had no choice to do it or the issue will become public and sales will drop. The sales might even drop so much that the loss in revenue might amount to more than the cost of replacing all those engines, and why would a company want to take that chance? No way, they might not ever recover from something like that. And keep in mind that this is bigger than the 350Z, it is a serious problem in the sentra world also with the 2.5 4cyl.
Everyone you have to remember why Nissan is in business. Not to make cars. It's to make a profit.
The reason why the engines keep failing is plain and simple. Business!!!

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 11-05-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Armed Ferret

But not many want to spend the $6-10k to fix it.
Since when did a re-ring cost ten thousand dollars?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Wu-Watt

Since when did a re-ring cost ten thousand dollars?
I said $6-10.. Pistons, rods, bearings, labour... Maybe some head work and cams while your at it. What you think it would cost?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Armed Ferret

i think it would cost the price of parts for new piston rings and lift time.

re-ring does not denote several thousand more in other work being performed at the same time. if you're doing other work, that cost isn't part of the re-ring.

and if you don't know how to remove pistons, re-ring them, and reinstall, well then perhaps it's best you spend that $10k for the work.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM
rickosae

Although it's all speculation, I tend to agree with Wu Watt's synopsis. Although Nissan has all of these "clicking time bombs" they also have time on their side as they are not replacing engines out of warranty. As time moves on their exposure decreases. But................I have come to learn that the 09 and 10 370 has a TSB for oil consumption. It apparently covers vehicles made before April 5, 2010. Rings again is the speculation but I am assuming they caught it due to the date. This might mean that a replacement short block actually has good rings in it as opposed to my situation. We can only hope.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Has anyone been denied on a motor that was replaced and the issue recurred over12k later? Mine has 18k and is consuming much more than my 180k mile 3.2 CLs Acura motor did (none between 5k synthetic oil changes)

Sub 20k well maintained motors should not use significant amounts of oil.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Wu-Watt

i think it would cost the price of parts for new piston rings and lift time.

re-ring does not denote several thousand more in other work being performed at the same time. if you're doing other work, that cost isn't part of the re-ring.

and if you don't know how to remove pistons, re-ring them, and reinstall, well then perhaps it's best you spend that $10k for the work.
Imo, if I were to have the engine apart to that extent I would have that stuff done. It would be in my best interest. But your right, I was thinking about my situation specifically when I said $6-10. I have done the top ends in my CR125 years ago, but that is a joke compared to doing that on a VQ. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing that based on my knowledge.
Not everyone is a respected auto mechanic.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by rickosae
Although it's all speculation, I tend to agree with Wu Watt's synopsis. Although Nissan has all of these "clicking time bombs" they also have time on their side as they are not replacing engines out of warranty. As time moves on their exposure decreases. But................I have come to learn that the 09 and 10 370 has a TSB for oil consumption. It apparently covers vehicles made before April 5, 2010. Rings again is the speculation but I am assuming they caught it due to the date. This might mean that a replacement short block actually has good rings in it as opposed to my situation. We can only hope.
Thats also a good point. They just gotta ride it out. But they're going to **** off alot of people, and lose customers.
After having this problem, and depending on the outcome of my engine, I dont think I'll buy another Nissan. Unless it's a BNR34, or they bring back the 240sx.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Armed Ferret

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Imo, if I were to have the engine apart to that extent I would have that stuff done. It would be in my best interest. But your right, I was thinking about my situation specifically when I said $6-10. I have done the top ends in my CR125 years ago, but that is a joke compared to doing that on a VQ. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing that based on my knowledge.
No disagreement here; if one were re-ringing obviously doing a lot more of a build at the time would make good sense (vice later down the road--engine's already apart, may as well go for it). But as far as JUST a re-ring goes, if that's all a fella was interested in, it wouldn't be too difficult. Maybe a weekend job for someone who goes slow and triple-checks things (definitely not a bad idea given the depth of the work involved).

Not everyone is a respected auto mechanic.
True true. I'm a computer programmer.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

This is after 800 miles.

Name:  IMG_1025.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  92.2 KB
Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Dicks06

Based on the oil I put into the Z in between changes and the oil I drained, I'm guessing I'm going through a quart every 700 miles. I'm over 70k, so I'm stuck with it. If I wasn't a student this wouldn't be such a big deal. When I bought the car in 08 (before I decided to go back to school), I read all the reviews about how reliable the 06 was. I just missed all the great posts on this topic. Oh well.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

1300 miles. Where the line starts (to the left) is 8mm:
Name:  over8mm.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  43.5 KB

Last edited by e30cabrio; 11-16-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Wu-Watt

^^^ You and I have VERY similar mods, what was your dyno like? I have the OC pretty bad, but I made 270whp on a dynapak. It seems generally healthy to me, I just add a qrt every 900 miles.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

271.6/262.4 runs great. I am unwilling to add oil to a 20k motor. I have had it 10k and it is getting worse & worse.

Nissan needs to make it right or M.P.P will.

Name:  tuneddyno.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  59.3 KB

Last edited by e30cabrio; 11-16-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion