Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zx6r
OC issue as in Over Clock? lol whats OC?
My guess is Oil Consumption
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
350zx6r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duh that makes sense lol thx
Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 PM
skaterbasist

My car consumed three-quarters of a quart in 1200 miles. (The oil only hit 1/4 of the dipstick marked line). According to the TSB, this is clearly in the "No Good" range.

My service rep tells me that they have revised their policy to only replace the engine when the car burns more than 1 quart every 1000 miles. Are they kidding me?

How did it jump from the 8mm mark to the 24mm mark all of the sudden?

This was a huge surprise, being that I drove quiet a bit to get to the most reputable dealership in southern california. They have replaced countless of OC'd revup engines.

And here's the thing. It's not really my Service Rep's to blame. He has a good reputation in the community. When I told him about the fact that my engine qualifies for a replacement according to their own TSB, he shows me an email from a corporate manager of the west regional office that states not to replace any engines unless they burn more than 1 qt per 1000 miles. (I ask for a copy of that email, which I did receive). I guess they expect your oil to be completely empty by the time an oil change is due.

I'm due back for another 1000 miles. But I'm also going to email/speak to corporate about this. They have to be kidding about this so-called new revision.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 10-01-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 AM
sry110

Welp, I checked my dipstick last night after letting the car sit for about 5 days so I know it was nice and settled. The oil didn't even come up to the "L" mark. It barely covered the twisted part at the end of the dipstick. I'm pretty sure I'm at less than 3000 miles since my last oil change. You guys think that's within the acceptable guidelines per NNA? Because I'm afraid to drive it at this point.

I scheduled an appointment to take the car in on Friday for them to check it out. I told the assistance service manager that I've had this checked out a few times before, and each time they say it's OK and show me some block chart where my engine falls in the block right on the border between good and bad. I told him that the Z is no longer my daily driver, and with crappy weather coming I won't be driving it so it will take a long time to rack up 1000 miles, but in the meantime the clock is ticking and my warranty is running out. Hopefully this visit will prove that it's eating more oil than allowed by NNA.

Worst case scenario Nissan says it's "OK" and won't fix anything....other than the oil level getting low, does this really affect the car's performance? In other words, if I'm forced to live with this engine would I be OK just adding some oil every now and then to keep the level up to where it should be?

EDIT: I just went back to the fist page of this thread and saw the dip stick measurement chart. I'm below the 24mm "L" mark but I don't think I'm at 3500 miles yet (have to check the Odometer to be certain). As much as I don't want the hassle of getting the engine swapped out, I also don't want a ticking timebomb under the hood.

EDIT#2: Just checked the car. It has been 2018 miles since my last oil change and the oil level is lower than 'L'. Based on what skaterbasist said above, they will say that's acceptable, huh? I'm going to have to have a little chat with my service manager about that one...

Last edited by sry110; 10-05-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 PM
dmemenza

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Welp, I checked my dipstick last night after letting the car sit for about 5 days so I know it was nice and settled. The oil didn't even come up to the "L" mark. It barely covered the twisted part at the end of the dipstick. I'm pretty sure I'm at less than 3000 miles since my last oil change. You guys think that's within the acceptable guidelines per NNA? Because I'm afraid to drive it at this point.

I scheduled an appointment to take the car in on Friday for them to check it out. I told the assistance service manager that I've had this checked out a few times before, and each time they say it's OK and show me some block chart where my engine falls in the block right on the border between good and bad. I told him that the Z is no longer my daily driver, and with crappy weather coming I won't be driving it so it will take a long time to rack up 1000 miles, but in the meantime the clock is ticking and my warranty is running out. Hopefully this visit will prove that it's eating more oil than allowed by NNA.

Worst case scenario Nissan says it's "OK" and won't fix anything....other than the oil level getting low, does this really affect the car's performance? In other words, if I'm forced to live with this engine would I be OK just adding some oil every now and then to keep the level up to where it should be?

EDIT: I just went back to the fist page of this thread and saw the dip stick measurement chart. I'm below the 24mm "L" mark but I don't think I'm at 3500 miles yet (have to check the Odometer to be certain). As much as I don't want the hassle of getting the engine swapped out, I also don't want a ticking timebomb under the hood.

EDIT#2: Just checked the car. It has been 2018 miles since my last oil change and the oil level is lower than 'L'. Based on what skaterbasist said above, they will say that's acceptable, huh? I'm going to have to have a little chat with my service manager about that one...
I have seen in this thread where there have been a few folks that have been fortunate to have some honest Nissan/Infiniti dealerships that would give them a oil consumption test and give honest results. And ended up swapping out the motor with a replacement. But I think some or most Nissan/Infiniti dealerships are trained to be dishonest about it. I'm kinda caught in the middle here. I'm currently getting a oil consumption test on my 06 G35 at a reputable Infiniti dealership in MD. I just went this past weekend to get a reading. They took about an hour and did whatever they needed to (I suppose). The service rep lady told me that the tech took the measurement and marked the dipstick. I was out the door. On the way back home, I noticed that there was a oil change sticker on my front windshield. It was noted that I was due back at 3,000 miles past my current mileage. I was really disappointed. I called the dealership the next morning and explained what I had found. The same service rep lady explained to me that they had an apprentice working in the shop that day and could have accidentally placed the oil change sticker in my car by mistake. She explained further that she was certain that the tech that worked on my car did not tamper with the oil and only pulled the oil dip stick to get a reading and mark it. I asked how she could be so certain. She said that it was strictly on the work order and the technician was clear on the instructions.

So, how can I be certain that they are not just changing my oil and saying my reading is in the "good" range? And that an apprentice actually exists? I'm so tempted of getting rid of the G and going to get an Acura, which I almost bought, but went with the G instead. I owned a Honda for 10 years and never ever had a oil/motor problem. I used to own a 87 Maxima too and never had a issue, but it seems like Nissan are making crappy motors of late and taking no accountability for it, unless they are caught with it. Extremely frustrating, especially considering I spent 30 grand on the car a couple of years ago.

Last edited by dmemenza; 10-05-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM
dmemenza

Originally Posted by sry110

I have seen in this thread where there have been a few folks that have been fortunate to have some honest Nissan/Infiniti dealerships that would give them a oil consumption test and give honest results. And ended up swapping out the motor with a replacement. But I think that some or most Nissan/Infiniti dealerships are trained to be dishonest about it. I'm kinda caught in the middle here. I'm currently getting a oil consumption test on my 06 G35 at a reputable Infiniti dealership in MD. I just went this past weekend to get a reading. They took about an hour and did whatever they needed to (I suppose). The service rep lady told me that the tech took the measurement and marked the dipstick. I was out the door. On the way back home, I noticed that there was a oil change sticker on my front windshield. It was noted that I was due back at 3,000 miles past my current mileage. I was really disappointed. I called the dealership the next morning and explained what I had found. The same service rep lady explained to me that they had an apprentice working in the shop that day and could have accidentally placed the oil change sticker in my car by mistake. She explained further that she was certain that the tech that worked on my car did not tamper with the oil and only pulled the oil dip stick to get a reading and mark it. I asked how she could be so certain. She said that it was strictly on the work order and the technician was clear on the instructions.

So, how can I be certain that they are not just changing my oil and saying my reading is in the "good" range? And that an apprentice actually exists? I'm so tempted of getting rid of the G and going to get an Acura TL, which I almost bought over the G, but I have been head-over-heels for the G for a while and went with it. I owned a Honda for 10 years and never ever had a oil/motor problem. I used to own a 87 Maxima too and never had a issue, but it seems like Nissan are making crappy motors of late and taking no accountability for it, unless they are caught with it. Extremely frustrating, especially considering I spent 30 grand on the car a couple of years ago.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
sry110

Yeah sometimes I suspect my dealership of doing the same sort of monkey business. I really like my Z and don't want to get rid of it. I'd take such a bath on the deal at this point that the cost of adding a quart of oil between oil changes (and the effort therein) is far, far less than the cost of selling my Z and trying to pick up something else.

My question now is whether the oil consumption is hurting anything on the car, or if it's just burning oil and that's the end of it. I can handle adding a bit of oil now and then, worst case.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
rickosae

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
My car consumed three-quarters of a quart in 1200 miles. (The oil only hit 1/4 of the dipstick marked line). According to the TSB, this is clearly in the "No Good" range.

My service rep tells me that they have revised their policy to only replace the engine when the car burns more than 1 quart every 1000 miles. Are they kidding me?

How did it jump from the 8mm mark to the 24mm mark all of the sudden?

This was a huge surprise, being that I drove quiet a bit to get to the most reputable dealership in southern california. They have replaced countless of OC'd revup engines.

And here's the thing. It's not really my Service Rep's to blame. He has a good reputation in the community. When I told him about the fact that my engine qualifies for a replacement according to their own TSB, he shows me an email from a corporate manager of the west regional office that states not to replace any engines unless they burn more than 1 qt per 1000 miles. (I ask for a copy of that email, which I did receive). I guess they expect your oil to be completely empty by the time an oil change is due.

I'm due back for another 1000 miles. But I'm also going to email/speak to corporate about this. They have to be kidding about this so-called new revision.
Take them to court, the TSB has no new rev and they can't make up new rules period!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM
bswanny

Originally Posted by rickosae
Take them to court, the TSB has no new rev and they can't make up new rules period!
I was wondering about this. Can they make revisions to a service bulletin?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 AM
dmemenza

would anyone have a copy of the TSB's for G35's? I would go to g35driver and search, but I can't get anywhere over there. when I even look at a pic of a car someone posted, it says I don't have privileges.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 AM
bawk20

Default Close to purchase-06 enthusiast M/T - questions???

Hi all...I am (hopefully) about to be a new member of the 350Z club but an concerned about the possibility of oil consumption problem. I have read a lot of great stuff on this forum as well as others but didn't see answers to some of my questions so hopefully someone out there can shed some light.

First off, exactly how common is the 06 M/T problem? i.e. what percentage of cars were affected? I know the threads about the OC problem are huge but how many people have not had a problem??

Second, is there a certain mileage where the problem would have shown itself? The car I am looking at has 43,000 miles and the owner claims it has never had a problem with OC and has only been in the shop for routine maintenance. Is it always a possibility that the problem will appear? Any damage that could occur to the engine because of this, or is it just a matter of topping off the oil every once in a while?

Lastly, what are some visible signs that may be on the car if it is burning oil? I saw there may be some gunk around the exhaust, but is there any other telltale signs to look for? I plan on taking it to a mechanic before purchasing anyway, but anything to have him check out specifically?

Thanks in advance to anyone with info for me. I test drove a 2005 this week and I really have the "fever!" Definitely a little worried if there are permanent consequences of the OC. Sorry it is a little long, I just don't want tot regret this decision later. Thanks!

Tom

p.s. Here is a link to the car I am looking at:

2006 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast, $17,500 - Cars.com
Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Be careful.. Get a 07+.. I unknowingly bought a OC 06' Z.... It SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
I feel so stupid for not doing some simple research before I bought it.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

First off, exactly how common is the 06 M/T problem? i.e. what percentage of cars were affected? I know the threads about the OC problem are huge but how many people have not had a problem??

Don't know. No official stats.

Second, is there a certain mileage where the problem would have shown itself?

No. Maybe 10k-20k or sooner.. There was a spreadsheet posted at some point with some stats from members.

Is it always a possibility that the problem will appear? Don't know. I'm hoping that if you can get to 20k miles and don't have an issue, you will be fine. That's just hope though.

Any damage that could occur to the engine because of this, or is it just a matter of topping off the oil every once in a while? You ever drive a car with half the required oil? I doubt it is good for the internals.. May be dependent on driving style.. duration of low oil usage, exactly how low did it go? 1 qt, 2qt...

Lastly, what are some visible signs that may be on the car if it is burning oil?
No, aside from what you listed... and the obvious low or no reading on the dipstick after 500-1000 miles.

Note: I took my car to the dealer for oil changes for the first year or so.. and they never paid attention to the 'before' oil reading.. or measured how much oil came out of the car. So, having it serviced by someone is not a measurement for oil consumption...

Last edited by thekinn; 10-11-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:44 PM
bawk20

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
^ Be careful.. Get a 07+.. I unknowingly bought a OC 06' Z.... It SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
I feel so stupid for not doing some simple research before I bought it.
The car was manufactured in Sept 2005...does that help with my odds?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Wu-Watt

Apparently it's around 15% of 05' Anniversary and 06' m/t's. I dont think any damage can occur from the oc, just keep an eye on the level. I asked a reputable tuner that question and he said just keep oil in it. My car is pretty much a guzzler, it smokes, and if you look at the floor in my garage where the muffler is, there is a big black streak of oil on the pavement from the start ups. A visible hint is alot of black junk on the exhaust tips. Especially on the bottom like they are drooling.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
06CPV35

You'll eventually clog up your cats and 02's with excessive oil through exhaust system.

I remember my original POS factory oil guzzler and the black oily soot inside my exhaust tips
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
rickosae

Originally Posted by bawk20
Hi all...I am (hopefully) about to be a new member of the 350Z club but an concerned about the possibility of oil consumption problem. I have read a lot of great stuff on this forum as well as others but didn't see answers to some of my questions so hopefully someone out there can shed some light.

Second, is there a certain mileage where the problem would have shown itself? The car I am looking at has 43,000 miles and the owner claims it has never had a problem with OC and has only been in the shop for routine maintenance. Is it always a possibility that the problem will appear? Any damage that could occur to the engine because of this, or is it just a matter of topping off the oil every once in a while?

Lastly, what are some visible signs that may be on the car if it is burning oil? I saw there may be some gunk around the exhaust, but is there any other telltale signs to look for? I plan on taking it to a mechanic before purchasing anyway, but anything to have him check out specifically?

Thanks in advance to anyone with info for me. I test drove a 2005 this week and I really have the "fever!" Definitely a little worried if there are permanent consequences of the OC. Sorry it is a little long, I just don't want tot regret this decision later. Thanks!

Tom

p.s. Here is a link to the car I am looking at:

2006 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast, $17,500 - Cars.com
I'm on my 4th engine and at only 350 miles, that's right not even done with the breakin period, it's down 6mm. My suggestion is to NOT to buy this car, go for a 07 or newer. so far 100% of the engines Nissan has put in my car have had a OC issue.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
You'll eventually clog up your cats and 02's with excessive oil through exhaust system.

I remember my original POS factory oil guzzler and the black oily soot inside my exhaust tips
Ya for sure, for the ppl with stock exhaust. I have TP's so the oil can flow right down the exhaust!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM
bswanny

This might have already been mentioned but the long block that Nissan installs, is it a revised VQ35 rev-up or just a regular VQ35 rev-up? Meaning is the long block have anything changed out (better piston rings or seals) to correct the oil consumption problem, or just throw another engine in and hope it doesn't happen again?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Ya for sure, for the ppl with stock exhaust. I have TP's so the oil can flow right down the exhaust!
True TP's don't care about oil, but keep an eye on those wide-band lambda sensors. They don't like oil

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion