Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
ZLOC06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost a little under a half a quart in about 1000 miles on the second egine (V2)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZLOC06
Well just spoke with Nissan Rep. this morning, and I must say, this time they really did seem more concerned about my issue. They brought up my past complaints on my first engine, and the informed me that I would here back from them within 2 business days regarding my buyback request. Now granted, I've heard the same sob story before, but at least this time I got to go straight to the rep who will be handling my case. I'm still rolling with the Lemon Law lawyer that 9k provided, but I'm trying to get this done as quickly as possible. The dealer just ordered my second replacement engine (********), and at this point it doesn't even matter. I just want my chips back, so I can go get the new Honda Accord, and place a picture of my Z on the steering wheel to remember, "what could have been!!"
Good luck with that. Hopefully you will have better luck with them getting back to you than I did. They won't even call me now, but the Southest rep is pretty much a complete moron and appears to never show up at work.

I finally had enough last week and got myself a lawyer. I stil sit here shaking my head over how inept every part of Nissan seems to be these days.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZPimp
I just called NNA and asked for a buyback - they already had 2 previous cases on me.

You don't need exactly 4 attempts to fix. every time u brought it in and they did nothing or OC testing is considered a visit. Also when Nissan knows these V2s are a failure in many cases - they know they have no true fix. They're just waiting for people to call in and ask for buyback. If NNA declines buyback then get K2's lawyer and u'll get your money.

Manufacturers will not give you a new car even though the Lemon says buyback OR replacement vehicle. They just don't and won't even consider it.

My guess is most folks buyback after their V1 fails and Nissan says they need a new engine. We've been seeing these '06 buybacks for resale at dealers all over the states. Per the Lemon law Nissan puts a new motor in (V1 or V2) and resells it in another state. Actually that's how all manufactures do it.

so today i got my car back with the v2. they told me to take it easy for 1,000 miles. the engine bay look dirty, and the inside smelled like an old car. smell of gasoline, oil and the mechanic's stink, like my fathers old chevrolet chevette. just five days ego it still smell like a new car.

i dont know what to do. should i sell my z to nissan and get a 2008 350z. i invested in nismo rims, hks exhaust, full nismo/ aerosync body kit which cost like 2k to get it painted. also other shi t i dont care like spacer, intakes and lower plenum. but some of this parts actually all parts wont fit on a 2008. only the wheels. the body kit would need to be repainted cause its daytona blue. and god knows if the 2008 will burn oil as well. would i buy it probably i love the looks of the Z. i dont think there is a car outthere and right now that i like as much for that price.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by joe_blow_xbox
ZLOC06 and Zpimp, good luck with your buyback.

Keep us up to date on the buyback, and a question for both of you. How much are you consuming with your new motors?
1.3 qts in 1,000 miles. V2 has about 3,500 miles. Vehicle has almost 18k.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

i just scratched up my stock wheels 3 times today and i didnt even care anymore. i just lost my love for the Z. i still take good care of it but not the same way.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 AM
MasterRacer

Hey guys, I tried to keep up with this thread for sometime but DAMN to long to read, I too have the same problem eating over 1 qt before 3000 miles. To make a long story short I tried going the "Nissan" way and had them look at my car several times, did oil consumption tests etc and they only admitted to a problem AFTER the TSB that went out in November even though I said that there was a problem 6 months after I purchased my car. I have now gone through the better business bureau and have received an offer from Nissan, has anyone here gone this route and had Nissan cough up some kind of offer only a few days after submitting case through BBB autoline???
Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 AM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
Hey guys, I tried to keep up with this thread for sometime but DAMN to long to read, I too have the same problem eating over 1 qt before 3000 miles. To make a long story short I tried going the "Nissan" way and had them look at my car several times, did oil consumption tests etc and they only admitted to a problem AFTER the TSB that went out in November even though I said that there was a problem 6 months after I purchased my car. I have now gone through the better business bureau and have received an offer from Nissan, has anyone here gone this route and had Nissan cough up some kind of offer only a few days after submitting case through BBB autoline???
Was this a complete buyback offer or hush money?

Yes, NNA has offered some folks an extended warranty or few thousand in cash for their problems (usually it's the cost of an extended warranty - I think that's how they justify that one)

Most of us like myself are buying back at the lemon law rate which is what you paid for the car on your contract minus mileage cost.

mileage/120000=x x*price of car=mileage cost

Last edited by ZPimp; 02-16-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Doba
sucks hearing that everyone wants Nissan to buy your car back, and here I am interested in buying an 06 like a sucker.. I need to rethink this
07 Al the way...
Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
07 Al the way...
After they drop your tranny and do slave cylinder recall.
But much rather have that issue than OC issues
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 AM
ZPimp

'07 & '08' redesign appears to be a good one - no major problems like the '06.

Don't buy an '06~!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
SteelDragonZ

I just took my car in for an oil change on my 06' and started the OC test. I never post I just normally read but I thought I would comment on this post for once. I know my car is burning oil pretty bad and I only have 7,300 miles on it. So I guess I'll have to wait see what the dealership is going to do. The service reps seem pretty cool, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Nismo Z

I drive an 06 and I obviously have oil consumption problems, the question I have is how do I go about starting my claim for a new engine and is it too late for me to start a claim as I have over 20k on the car? I know this question was probably already answered but I don't want to read through 125 pages to find the answer thanks guys!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Recreator

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
07 Al the way...
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
After they drop your tranny and do slave cylinder recall.
But much rather have that issue than OC issues
'07 & '08' redesign appears to be a good one - no major problems like the '06.

Don't buy an '06~!
What do you think about this?

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=vq35de+engine

Mike

Last edited by Recreator; 02-16-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:59 PM
jason350z

Yes, NNA has offered some folks an extended warranty or few thousand in cash for their problems (usually it's the cost of an extended warranty - I think that's how they justify that one)

Most of us like myself are buying back at the lemon law rate which is what you paid for the car on your contract minus mileage cost.

how do we go about having nissan buy our cars? do we contact nissan of north america directly or through a lawyer?

i send a letter to them they said they open a profile for me.
i want to get rid of this car now. no fn way i'm going through 3 engine replacements. i had onw done.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Brice-350z

I feel bad for all those that are having issues and hope that NNA makes it right with each of you.

I will let you know there are some 06's with original engines that aren't burning excessive amounts oil, I have rougly 22k miles and use virtually no oil, maybe half a quart over 5k miles. I wait till my car is warm before revving over 3k and I redline at least once a day so I believe I do drive it rather agressively. Just thought I would share.

Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:45 PM
ke0ki2k

What do you all think of switching back to a regular DE mayhaps? I thought the V2 was fixing the problem until now....sigh. I picked the wrong year to buy a Z. Anybody with a revup put in different pistons/rings and solved the oil consump problem?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 PM
jason350z

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
What do you all think of switching back to a regular DE mayhaps? I thought the V2 was fixing the problem until now....sigh. I picked the wrong year to buy a Z. Anybody with a revup put in different pistons/rings and solved the oil consump problem?
hey exellent question. since the beginning i've wanted to turbo charged my z and i will. but i wonder how this engines will handle after you build them.

i ask a member of mrc, he said that the oil consumtion problem could be the rings and even poor break in of the engine. but with good pistons and rings and other stuff you should be ok. i email gtm but havent got a responce from them
Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by jason350z
how do we go about having nissan buy our cars? do we contact nissan of north america directly or through a lawyer?

i send a letter to them they said they open a profile for me.
i want to get rid of this car now. no fn way i'm going through 3 engine replacements. i had onw done.
To deal direct with NNA - as I am - call Nissan North America 800-647-7261 and speak with a Consumer Affairs Rep - tell them you are asking for a "buyback" and the circumstances. They will open a case and a rep. will call you back in 48 hours and get you started. This assigned rep. will then contact the Dealer Service Department and they will fax all documentation to NNA and a decision will be made in 30 days whether they will buyback.

You can also have a lawyer do the work with NNA - I would use 9K's lawyer firm - see the last few pages of this thread.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by Nismo Z
I drive an 06 and I obviously have oil consumption problems, the question I have is how do I go about starting my claim for a new engine and is it too late for me to start a claim as I have over 20k on the car? I know this question was probably already answered but I don't want to read through 125 pages to find the answer thanks guys!
1 - print/read Nissan's TSB on this issue https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....32332&page=105

2 - go to the dealer as the TSB states to get an oil consumption test initiated

3 - per the TSB if results of the 1,000 mile OC test indicate a drop on your dip stick of 4mm then you win a new engine

It's just that simple - problem is some of these new motors (what we call the V2) will also consume.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 PM
MasterRacer

Ummm I dono bro, I haven't gotten a chance yet to speak with the BBB Auto Line agent. I specifically stated in my case to Nissan that I was looking for them to repurchase the car and or give me a very nice chunk of change towards a new vehicle, I am definately interested in seeing what they have offered. I will keep you guys posted

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion