Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That consistency makes me happy!! How do you like the exhaust? I love it!!!!!! So loud, and nice sounding!

See the difference in the torque curve? Thats because I dont have the Mrev, just the Injen CAI, and a Kinetix plenum. But I do have a Fidanza flywheel...

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 11-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:52 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Too loud but I like the power.

I am hoping Nissan refuses to fix it. Then I can use the rebuild money and do a 4.1 stroker! :P

http://thmotorsports.com/brian_crowe.../i-149106.aspx

310/300!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by e30cabrio; 11-16-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Wu-Watt

I'm seriously pondering a LS7.... So strong and reliable...
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
xray2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Armed Ferret
i think it would cost the price of parts for new piston rings and lift time.

re-ring does not denote several thousand more in other work being performed at the same time. if you're doing other work, that cost isn't part of the re-ring.

and if you don't know how to remove pistons, re-ring them, and reinstall, well then perhaps it's best you spend that $10k for the work.
The labor cost for the recent TSB must be stratospheric.
Given that someone wanted an engine rebuild, say 1500 for forged pistons, 1500 for some nismo plus some better rings etc, the price really adds up.

Unless you have a way to drain every fluid and lift an engine in your garage, the $100/hr standard labor rate for the current short-block swap is pretty pricey.

Add the price for a valve-job, maybe better valves as well, and the $6000-10 estimate is spot on including the labor.

If you have a shop and a cheap place that can do a machining, then maybe you're saving $2k in labor.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by xray2
The labor cost for the recent TSB must be stratospheric.
Given that someone wanted an engine rebuild, say 1500 for forged pistons, 1500 for some nismo plus some better rings etc, the price really adds up.

Unless you have a way to drain every fluid and lift an engine in your garage, the $100/hr standard labor rate for the current short-block swap is pretty pricey.

Add the price for a valve-job, maybe better valves as well, and the $6000-10 estimate is spot on including the labor.

If you have a shop and a cheap place that can do a machining, then maybe you're saving $2k in labor.
Thanks for backing me up on that. I have done my home wrk...
Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Brought the car to Nissan yesterday. Oil is more than 8mm low. Their findings? "oil cooler 0 ring seeping recommend replacement (service writer did not offer to do it) found oil level on dipstick about 1/2 on hash marks of dipstick approx 1/2 quart low have 0 ring replaced and monitor consumption".

Bear in mind there is no leak, if it is actually "seeping" I do not see it. (I looked) and said so. I created a case with Nissan Wednesday and was supposed to get a call back yesterday. No call. I left a message on the machine of the person that was given my case in the afternoon yesterday and again this morning still nada.

I will never consider any Nissan product again.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 11-19-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Wu-Watt

^^ Make sure your dipstick's range is 1 or 2 quarts... From H-L on my stick is 2 quarts, but on others its only 1. There was a guy that posted this in this thread a while ago, he figured this out on his G35. He thinks that the dealers are switching out the dipsticks so that when you do the consumption test it will appear that it passes the test based on the measurement on the dipstick. But if you were to drain the oil and measure it, the level would be considerably lower. I found this out when it took 2 qrts to bring it to H from L.
Then this guy made that post and it all made sense, Nissan is trying to trick us!!!
*Speculation

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 11-20-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

What drives me up the wall is that they did not follow their guidelines. They did not measure in MM and muddied the waters with the seeping that is not there.

Not to mention the lack of response from corp.

If they measure in MM it would not matter if the dipstick was 20 quarts!

lol

Last edited by e30cabrio; 11-20-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Wu-Watt

Yeah Nissan sux..... The car still makes me happy when I'm driving it though.. But if it blows I will lose my mind.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:10 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I love driving the car, but trying to get anything bigger than a small carry on bag into it is a nightmare. I hate the damn strut tower brace in back.

Nissan is clueless in regards to customer service. Like I said never again will I buy their products.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:38 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Nissan finally called yesterday, the expected response was NO. They had the nerve to blame the PO, the fact the car was over 70k (engine at 16,xxx when I brought the issue to their attention) They offered to allow me to take the car back to Pinnacle Nissan to redo the failed consumption test (they did not measure the amount it was low with a ruler, but said it was about 1/2 quart low) I said no.

M.P.P. wants a tear down and then will I am sure want to put a 70k motor from a junk yard in. I'll insist on the money that costs (I am seeing them for 22-2800) and will use that to build the motor properly.

I reiterate. I will never consider a Nissan product again and will tell anyone that will listen of my myriad Nissan horror stories from purchase at Midway Nissan to this latest debacle.

Shame, I like the car.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Name:  IMG_1090.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  47.1 KB

That's at about 1500 miles, the line at an angle is 8mm, with 8mm being at the lower end.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 AM
ZeeZee

Default i <3 nissan...NOT

So I started my oc in late november. I have a 06 base it was eating about 2.5 qts every 3k on the last oil change. When I brought the car to nissan on December 2nd after driving 1500 it ate 2 qts according to their "techs" it was a four hour wait for them to measure the oil. The oil was never drained they put up the car on the lift left it there came back checked for leaks then checked the dipstick and ordered a short block. Ok I'm happy new engine their manager promises me it will take 3 days to install i'll be happy everything is dandy WRONG. The car gets dropped of Dec 9th. They manage to put the engine in after 1 week(This in my book is pathetic i've seen engines get built in a week). After the install they have problems with the timing, they call nissan american to walk them through the issues. At this point they keep saying tomorrow you will have it So the 16th 17th...... Then they say the ecm needs to get reset....... Now they are asking me if the car has ever had any tunes this car is basically stock with mods from the dealer if you want to call a nismo exhaust n intake mods. They are claiming they are calling Japan to have the problem fixed more bs. I dont think I am getting my car back before new years, I have filed a consumer complaint and about ready to file a class action lawsuit. I will never again purchase a nissan unless its a GTR or a old skyline/Silvia STAY AWAY FROM DELRAY BEACH MAROONE NISSAN FLORIDA
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
dmemenza

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeZee
So I started my oc in late november. I have a 06 base it was eating about 2.5 qts every 3k on the last oil change. When I brought the car to nissan on December 2nd after driving 1500 it ate 2 qts according to their "techs" it was a four hour wait for them to measure the oil. The oil was never drained they put up the car on the lift left it there came back checked for leaks then checked the dipstick and ordered a short block. Ok I'm happy new engine their manager promises me it will take 3 days to install i'll be happy everything is dandy WRONG. The car gets dropped of Dec 9th. They manage to put the engine in after 1 week(This in my book is pathetic i've seen engines get built in a week). After the install they have problems with the timing, they call nissan american to walk them through the issues. At this point they keep saying tomorrow you will have it So the 16th 17th...... Then they say the ecm needs to get reset....... Now they are asking me if the car has ever had any tunes this car is basically stock with mods from the dealer if you want to call a nismo exhaust n intake mods. They are claiming they are calling Japan to have the problem fixed more bs. I dont think I am getting my car back before new years, I have filed a consumer complaint and about ready to file a class action lawsuit. I will never again purchase a nissan unless its a GTR or a old skyline/Silvia STAY AWAY FROM DELRAY BEACH MAROONE NISSAN FLORIDA
I just got my OC done on my 06 G35. Every time after they completed a reading of the oil stick, I would check it once I got home. It kept going lower and lower on the stick every time they read it. Obviously it was consuming. Last test (#3 reading), the service rep explained that the car passed the OC test. I explained to her that I checked the oil stick and saw how it would get lower and lower, obviously engine was consuming oil. She said, its normal for these cars (350's & G's). She said no one that drives these cars are driving miss daisy. They are pushing the motors. Which I do, but most of the time, I baby my car. I don't rag on it, which I explained to her. She then asked how often I change the oil. I told her between 3500-4000 miles (I use synthetic). She said to do it every 3000 miles, no matter if it uses synthetic or not. She said considering the way most drive these cars, pushing the motors, its bound to consume oil. She noted that she has a Z06 and she also uses synthetic, but has oil changes done 3000 miles, religiously. Honestly, I think its a bunch of crap. I purchased the extended warranty and I'm considering getting the test done by another certified mechanic (non-Nissan mechanic) and getting it done this way. And then perhaps, presenting it to Nissan. Hopefully, I get a better response out of Nissan than you did, but I guess it worth a shot. I too, am done with Nissan. I had a 87 Nissan Maxima, fully loaded. It was given to me by my brother with almost 200,000 miles and never consumed or burned oil. I miss that car so much! As of late, Nissan has been a big disappointment in my book, especially after spending the money on purchasing this car. I love the design and look (I baby it dearly), but just the thought of maybe something being wrong, bothers me most of the time. Let us know how your law suit goes. We maybe joining you....never know.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM
350zx6r

let me tell you buddy... that is just the beggining of ur issues... when I had my engine replaced (also in florida) they messed up with my car so bad, I had to come back almost every week for a different issue, they forgot to reconnect the A/C lines that it started pouring water INSIDE of the car, then I started to hear some noises coming from the chassis on every turn, this was a bold that was loose!!! then my power steering stoped working... it was because they had mounted the pulley belts in the wrong order and the worst part about all of these issues was that NNA said that I had to have to issues repaired at the same dealer. I personally dont think they were well trained for these swaps, they scratched the whole engine bay interior. it was just pathetic!! good luck man!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM
ZeeZee

Originally Posted by 350zx6r
let me tell you buddy... that is just the beggining of ur issues... when I had my engine replaced (also in florida) they messed up with my car so bad, I had to come back almost every week for a different issue, they forgot to reconnect the A/C lines that it started pouring water INSIDE of the car, then I started to hear some noises coming from the chassis on every turn, this was a bold that was loose!!! then my power steering stoped working... it was because they had mounted the pulley belts in the wrong order and the worst part about all of these issues was that NNA said that I had to have to issues repaired at the same dealer. I personally dont think they were well trained for these swaps, they scratched the whole engine bay interior. it was just pathetic!! good luck man!
Well As soon as I told them Im sueing they gave me my car back the next day and all of the sudden they were able to fix the car its hilarious i cussed out every1 there and their director aka dealership manager is a puss that will never call me back. NNA called me back i told them that dealership is horrible reported to BBB and reviews. I bet this engine steal eats oil
Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM
skaterbasist

If Nissan approves my engine replacement, should I uninstall the MREV2 or will that also be replaced? My dealer is supposedly "mod-friendly" so I'm not really worried about any BS since I've taken it there before. In fact, they sell many Motordyne products themselves.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Just finished my most recent oc test. 9xx miles 25mm LOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to wait for M.P.P. to tell me why they won't fix it (I'm betting my boltons)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Wu-Watt

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
If Nissan approves my engine replacement, should I uninstall the MREV2 or will that also be replaced? My dealer is supposedly "mod-friendly" so I'm not really worried about any BS since I've taken it there before. In fact, they sell many Motordyne products themselves.
Where's that? That's awsome...

And e30, I'm right in that ballpark....
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

M.P.P. is accepting the claim but wants Nissan to fix it. I don't want another 20k mi motor and want to rebuild it with parts that will last.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 12-28-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion