Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
Yeah, the BBB Auto Line thing has worked out real well so far. Tell Rhonda I said hello.
I'm sure she will be hearing from a lot of us! Looks like things are moving along well for you so far. Good to see that. It's a shame though about the MREV2 and spacer though.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
ZPHILE

Default ECM re-programming - the latest I got from West Coast Dealer

We've heard of the possiblity of getting 'hand built' engines as a possible solution for this dreadful problem. With that in mind, I wanted to make sure that my car is 'officially' an oil consumer. Did oil test once and it supposedly passed. So, went to dealer to get oil change and oil consumption test again (it is burning up to 1qt/1000mi again on occassion). Was told 'no more engine testing or engine change outs till TSB is released which is for ECM change'. So that's what I got. When? - next couple of months or so. So, I just got an oil change. Ready to sue/lemon law etc, etc, if this comes to nothing
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
We've heard of the possiblity of getting 'hand built' engines as a possible solution for this dreadful problem. With that in mind, I wanted to make sure that my car is 'officially' an oil consumer. Did oil test once and it supposedly passed. So, went to dealer to get oil change and oil consumption test again (it is burning up to 1qt/1000mi again on occassion). Was told 'no more engine testing or engine change outs till TSB is released which is for ECM change'. So that's what I got. When? - next couple of months or so. So, I just got an oil change. Ready to sue/lemon law etc, etc, if this comes to nothing
Not 100% sure why Nissan continues to delay, but I figure it has a lot to do with Lemon Law statute of limitations.

They know that every single rev-up has this problem and they figure if they delay long enough, we will not be able to use it and if you only go in once and they refuse to continue testing, then you generally can't apply the lemon law anyways. That is my conspiracy theory for the day. Hopefully no helicopters will follow me home tonight.

The fact that everyone is still getting conflicting information should be worrisome to the ones here that are waiting for a fix. That tells me they that still have no clue. To me, the one with the most merit is what bofa was told since that was their final chance. That tells me that they truly believe it is hardware and not software, but they are trying to find a software solution.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
gixxer1000

so they are going to give every revup z a hand built motor??
Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by gixxer1000
so they are going to give every revup z a hand built motor??
I would highly doubt it. We shall see what they say to me after the final attempt on mine. I would guess that they will offer that to people that submit for protection under the lemon law. The recall would probably just be some kind of software update. I would love to see how they will accomplish that within de-tuning things.

Actually, I doubt we will see a recall as I mentioned above. Just a TSB and then only the people that notice the problem will get it fixed. Most people will never notice.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by dbasal
Actually, I doubt we will see a recall as I mentioned above. Just a TSB and then only the people that notice the problem will get it fixed. Most people will never notice.
I think you're right on as stated above. The question is when??? See you in August? BTW - the dealer said ' everyone will get letters in the mail...' Do you believe it?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:42 PM
dbasal

^^

I guess only time will tell. It should be interesting. I am looking forward to see if I can get more info when I take it in for the final "attempt" to repair.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM
bofa

I'm interested to see if they waste your time by pushing the appointment out for two weeks and actually making you arrange to bring it to the dealer just to tell you on the first day they ca't do anything (like they did me).

Eh... of course they will.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
arejohn

Default no more engine testing?

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
If they tell you "no more engine testing" have it documented on the work order or it has no value in getting to a resolution.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
I'm interested to see if they waste your time by pushing the appointment out for two weeks and actually making you arrange to bring it to the dealer just to tell you on the first day they ca't do anything (like they did me).

Eh... of course they will.
Yeah. They've already wasted my time doing test after test after test. They might as well keep me waiting. I think they just like to feel in control although they have totally lost any control of this situation as usual (i.e. tire feathering).
Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by arejohn
If they tell you "no more engine testing" have it documented on the work order or it has no value in getting to a resolution.
Actually just keep taking it into the dealer to document how much you are down every x miles. It doesn't matter that they are officially doing a test or not. Documentation is your best friend.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Bar1

yes I have a real problem with my oil. 3+ quarts x 3k miles. They are telling me this is normal, but they want me to return it to them every 1k miles. This looks like a lemmon law problem. I have 19K miles and it's been a problem from the beginning. anybody else have this problem, lets get together.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WoW, some of you have some major problems, sorry to hear this...

i don't think i've ever posted here, but my 04 consumes 1qt every 3k. I go from H to midway to L by the time I'm around 3k. I've been keeping an eye on it ever since I saw the 06 engine problem.

I do have most of the air mods and I do beat on my car often. I'm sure taking here to 6k everyday doesn't help... O'well, I'll keep her filled up

GL to you guys...
Zquicksilver
Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
TENGAI

I drive an '06 G Coupe, 6mt, and here's what I've been told:

1. Change the oil at a certified shop (any). Keep most current receipt.
2. Drive car for 1k miles.
3. Take car to Infiniti dealership and have them check the level. If they note that the car is 1 qt. or more low, they'll top off and note it in your vehicle history report.
4. Drive the car for another 1k miles.
5. Take car back to Infiniti dealership and have them check the level. Again. they'll check the level and note is you're 1 qt. or more low. Top off and you're back on the road.
6. Drive car for another 1k miles.
7. Take car back to Infiniti dealership and have them check the level. If your car is 1 qt. or more low, they'll take the car into warrantee repair. 99.9% chance you'll receive a new engine with a "fix" to the problem.

I don't know what the fix is, and couldn't pull it out of the service rep I spoke to, but was told that this was the direction that his shop received from Infiniti / Nissan in regards to the problem.

This seems like a problem that is being fixed "quietly" by Nissan in order to address the people that are reporting the issue. Those that don't have the problem should be thankful. This is really a pain in the @ss...

BTW, yes I'm experiencing oil consumption issues. I just changed my oil after 2500 miles (10,400 total on the car), and am 3 1/2 qt. low...
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by TENGAI
This seems like a problem that is being fixed "quietly" by Nissan in order to address the people that are reporting the issue. Those that don't have the problem should be thankful. This is really a pain in the @ss...
See this is where inconsistancy at Nissan is really scaring me. If it was just a simple ECU reflash TSB, there's no reason to fix it quietly. It's easy and costless. The waffling and mixed stories from dealers across the country makes it sound like the engine is really messed up; and no small, inexpensive tweak is going to solve anything
I really want this to end well...
Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
RBlover69

i believe its a design flaw not a ecm flaw. How are they gonna fix this without lowering out put. I highley doubt its possible.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
aren21

Guys I checked the oil level again... It burned 0 quarts in 1k miles. It has done been this before, but other times it will burn anywhere up to .5quart in 1k miles. I drive it the same way...120 miles a week freeway driving 70-90mph, and the rest is city, with some some WOT here and there. I dont get why its so inconsistent!!!!! Everytime I see there is no burned oil, I think the rings somehow finally seated, and everything is ok....then I check again and its burning oil again!!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
bofa

I know you guys may not want to go back and reread... but a lot of this has been covered in detail in the last 5 pages or so.

Tengai... I'm loving the avatar.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:40 PM
cavallino33

Alright I got my 06 last July (built in 12/05) and it currently has 18xx miles on it. Pretty much since day one its been making a sort of I guess light friction scraping noise. It happens most frequently just as I let the clutch out after shifting anywhere above 3.5K. It also happense occasionally while driving if the revs get above 3K. I took it to the dealer...twice and they couldn't replicate the sound I drove it and still couldn't get it to do it because its kind of a rare occurence. My car does not seem to have oil consumption, but the noise sound similar to the ones people with oil consumption described, although it happens at a different time. Anyone have any ideas? I guess I'm just throwing it out there. The noise definitely is coming from the front engine area. I did have the oil changed by the dealer at about 1200 miles and it had no effect on the sound.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
bofa

That doesn't sounds like a consumption issue. I would continue to have the dealer troubleshoot the issue. Hell, get a recording on your cell phone or something and play it for them.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion