Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 PM
cavallino33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
That doesn't sounds like a consumption issue. I would continue to have the dealer troubleshoot the issue. Hell, get a recording on your cell phone or something and play it for them.
OK. Thanks at least that one thing I can rule out.

Thats a good idea about recording it.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 PM
creationv2

okay from reading and being told different dates (etc)...the tsb is basically unknown to when itll be out...but even if there is a tsb what are they going to do? reflash all 06 mt Zs? that makes no sense if not all of the 06 Zs have it....and since build date has no play in the matter (or thats what it seems since people who posted build dates range throughout hte entire production period) how would they know which ones to do....just wait until an owner comes and says im low on oil after x amount of miles or whatever..

...idk im confused, uninformed (other than thread reading and what my dealer srevice manager says) and not happy with my occassional low oil crap
Old 04-06-2007, 06:30 AM
TENGAI

I know you guys may not want to go back and reread... but a lot of this has been covered in detail in the last 5 pages or so.

Tengai... I'm loving the avatar.

Thanks for the compliment.

As it stands for me, I'm just going to build the motor and go a different route. If I have to deal with oil consumption, then I'd rather be running a built and boosted setup...

Last edited by TENGAI; 04-09-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
okay from reading and being told different dates (etc)...the tsb is basically unknown to when itll be out...but even if there is a tsb what are they going to do? reflash all 06 mt Zs? that makes no sense if not all of the 06 Zs have it....and since build date has no play in the matter (or thats what it seems since people who posted build dates range throughout hte entire production period) how would they know which ones to do....just wait until an owner comes and says im low on oil after x amount of miles or whatever..

...idk im confused, uninformed (other than thread reading and what my dealer srevice manager says) and not happy with my occassional low oil crap
Two ways for them to deal with this:

1) Full recall
2) Just apply the TSB to people that come in complaining about it

I would say #2 because personally, I feel that many people just do not pay attention to what is going on. They will take it in for an oil change and then be done with it. If nobody tells them they are low, then they would never know. The folks that perform the oil changes are simply performing a drain and fill and paying no attention to levels or anything like that.

Of course, if I have said it once I have said it 1000 times. When performing these changes they probably should be concerned with looking at something as oil loss because if the driver comes in around the proper mileage, there should be no considerable loss.

Last edited by dbasal; 04-06-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 AM
creationv2

^^ yah thats what i figured (#2) but thats pretty messed up to endanger peoples lives with low oil and not telling them or whatever....

...wow didnt know dbasal started a lemon too...(havent kept up with this thread)...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
RBlover69

we should all unit and form voltron!!! still am not done with my 1000mile test.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
bofa

It's threads like this that make me truly wish this sticky was in the main 350Z forum.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=1#post3569551
Old 04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
dbasal

^

+1, but then we would have to deal with folks like PDX, which is either in serious denial or does not have a rev-up.

He sounds more like someone that is willing to accept a certain amount of oil loss, but I still have not heard of anyone that burns less than a quart per 3000 and I am being very conservative with that.

Well, I guess he could be a Nissan employee.

Oh well, we know what we know and hopefully we have helped people realize that this engine is defective.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

I will need to check my consumption tomorrow.
I've been running RP 5w30 since I got it and nothing has stood out as a problem yet. I got the car in May 06, it now has 11K on it.

Oil was changed just about 1-2K ago with a couple long trips on it.

I also just put the injen CAI on it and I was about to do the Injen exhaust but now I'm wondering if I should wait
Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 PM
showtypeZ

2117 miles total on the car and I had to add TWO complete quarts to get it back to the full mark on the stick.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

I talked to the dealership just a minute ago and have a consumption test ready to get underway as soon as the weather is nice enough to drive up there.

The service guy seemed to have that answer ready before I even asked what to do, so I have a feeling he HAS seen issues with it. When asked if he had heard of any other Z's having this issue he (of course) said no and that Nissans' never have issues. HAH!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by davids
I talked to the dealership just a minute ago and have a consumption test ready to get underway as soon as the weather is nice enough to drive up there.

The service guy seemed to have that answer ready before I even asked what to do, so I have a feeling he HAS seen issues with it. When asked if he had heard of any other Z's having this issue he (of course) said no and that Nissans' never have issues. HAH!
I love dealerships

Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

Originally Posted by dbasal
I love dealerships

Good Luck.
yuuuup. Up the foodchain we go; where it stops, nobody knows.

At least i have your experiences to work from on here and that is very helpful.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
bofa

Good luck.. hopefully once they realize you're not a push-over and are well-informed on the issue they will level with you like mind did and stop blowing smoke.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
evimero350

I havent even been 2000 miles yet since my oil change 3 weeks ago and I had to add 3 qts last night!!!

3qts in 2000 miles!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by evimero350
I havent even been 2000 miles yet since my oil change 3 weeks ago and I had to add 3 qts last night!!!

3qts in 2000 miles!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM
bofa

He's catching up with me.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
dbasal

He's catching up with me.
I guess so. Did Nissan ever tell you how they agreed that you were burning oil?

I just wonder if it was a dog and pony show or if they really did any further tests.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM
bofa

What do you mean? I'm assuming they went based on the tests and the current level when the tech took it in. The advisor told me that it was low again and that the oil was very dark, so I'm assuming they did something to confirm. How's the BBB thing coming along for you?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
dbasal

What do you mean? I'm assuming they went based on the tests and the current level when the tech took it in. The advisor told me that it was low again and that the oil was very dark, so I'm assuming they did something to confirm. How's the BBB thing coming along for you?
I was just wondering if they did anyting further. If they were just going off the BBB documents, then they should not have wasted your time in having you bring it in, especially considering they do not know the fix.

For me, I Express Mailed my package back last Wednesday, but the USPS shows that it has not been delivered

I tried to call Rhonda, but it was after business hours. I am going to call tomorrow morning to see if she has received it. Never again will I use USPS for overnight deliveries.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion