Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 AM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
How coincidental! I was just reading the Mototune break-in method! Still learning here (although I've had plenty cars w/break-in's). Still deciding what method to use on the V2 when that happens.
It would be nice to know what type of break in they do at the factory for testing purposes.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 AM
jkim1978

i'm on my second engine now and after 4000 miles of driving i went back into the dealership for an oil change and redo the oil consumption test. on my second engine after 4000 miles.... the dealer stated that i was low by little less than half a quart of oil...... i'm happy to hear that the new engine seems like its working correctly, but my question is, isn't any type of engine oil lose a problem? or is this okay?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbasal
It would be nice to know what type of break in they do at the factory for testing purposes.
I kept mine under 4K RPM's for about 500 miles...then the second the odemeter clicked. I punched it.

I hit my rev limiter almost daily...lol. Thats why I bought the car, to drive the hell out of it. I got 4 years left and 30K miles on the warrantee...lol.

After that its a built block anyways...but I paid for this one, so I am using the life up as much as possible.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkim1978
i'm on my second engine now and after 4000 miles of driving i went back into the dealership for an oil change and redo the oil consumption test. on my second engine after 4000 miles.... the dealer stated that i was low by little less than half a quart of oil...... i'm happy to hear that the new engine seems like its working correctly, but my question is, isn't any type of engine oil lose a problem? or is this okay?
Man I tracked my Mustang GT monthly (quarter mile) and I drifted every U turn or back parking lot I could find, full synthetic..never lost anything. Always clean, always at the full mark.

People say that oil consumption is common on sports car engines!!!!? Well they never drove a Mustang 2001 4.6. or a 1995 Civc SI. If the dam thing (Mustang) would turn, I would still have it...lol. I owned it, should of never sold it. This expensive Jap Crap is costing us too much time and money!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by jkim1978
It is my opinion that it should not. I have never had any type of car that was in good working order burn oil. Even my 96 Maxima did not burn oil and it almost had 200,000 miles on it.

On that note though, my brother Altima (2006 4 cylinder) burns about 1/2 qt per oil change. My wife's Elantra does not burn one spec though even over 6000 miles. Maybe comparing apples and oranges there, but still, you get the idea.

I agree with 4Shizzl on the BS about the sports car engine that Nissan likes to throw around.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
I kept mine under 4K RPM's for about 500 miles...then the second the odemeter clicked. I punched it.

Ah-h-h-h! More details! I had the impression that you floored it (ping'd the tach) out of the repair bay post the V2 install. I'll read the 'hard' break-in procs more. I think they did say keep the RPM's below 4k but make sure the engine is adeqately warmed up (a must do anyway).
Old 08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
creationv2

O_o nissan calls me today after taking everything out and are like are you sure you have not been racing or of the like with your car? (because some parts looked more worn then they should be or soemething), but i told them ive never raced or tracked the car but i do drive spiritedly. and they were like ooookay (as if not believing me)

wtf does nissan not expect a sports car not to be driven like theyre meant to? i mean i dont redline everyday or ever, but i do accelerate hard and shift around 5.5k alot.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:09 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Ah-h-h-h! More details! I had the impression that you floored it (ping'd the tach) out of the repair bay post the V2 install. I'll read the 'hard' break-in procs more. I think they did say keep the RPM's below 4k but make sure the engine is adeqately warmed up (a must do anyway).

OMG! I just about spit my soda clear across the room vizualizing that!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
marathonhunter

Chief mechanic that installed my engine said I can drive my car the way I want. So if you want to roast your tires out the dealer parking lot, which I wanted to after two weeks of not having my Z, go ahead. It won't hurt the engine.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 PM
antennahead

My new engine goes in Monday, dropping the car off first thing. Regional rep swears its the new engine that fixes the problem. Let's hope this is the case.

John
Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 PM
andy2434

Originally Posted by antennahead
My new engine goes in Monday, dropping the car off first thing. Regional rep swears its the new engine that fixes the problem. Let's hope this is the case.

John
I trust that everything goes well for you, John. Hopefully, I will not be too far behind you. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:47 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by andy2434
I trust that everything goes well for you, John. Hopefully, I will not be too far behind you. Good luck!
I will keep everyone posted on progress/results, as well as anything I can ascertain from the head mechanic. Thanks to all of you for the many posts and great information. If it were not for this site and everyone's input, I might not have resolved this, at least to the point it is now, so quickly. Thanks.

John
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 AM
creationv2

i should be picking up my car today or tomorrow....is there anything i should check before driving of the lot?

-dipstick level
-try to look at the nuts and bolts and what not in the engine bay
-condition of car
-....what else?

edit: nvm lol i just picked up my z! yay! it feels so great having it back to drive (the truck i got for my rental was jsut too massive haha)

-the engine part number is just as i stated before AC7MZ (and same theory was still given to me as to what the differnet last letter/number meant)
-oil dipstick level was on the H notch err a little over maybe
-everyone that worked there and saw me and knew what was up made sure they told me to break it in the same way before (as stated in the manual)
+so i drove home under 3.5k; slow acceleration (Granny style baby!)**
-the new motor smoooooooooth, but it doesnt sound like my first one, its so quiet, idk if its b/c of the low rpms, but i dont remember it sounding so damned quiet, its to the point where it wheels like im driving a sedan or something.
+**so on the last mile home i gunned it to just under 4k through three gears....and it sounded like 1-2k on the old motor.
-oil pressure gauge looked liek there was a tad bit more pressure than i last remember it going through the gears.
-idk what they did to my tranny but its smooth quiet too, there isnt all that clanging going on when shifting or going over bumps.

maybe a lot of the things i experienced on my 30 mile trip home was just because the motor is that much more newer than when i bought the car, though it was pretty new when i got it like 15 miles on it....or i might just be used to a broken in motor...but only time will tell, and hopefully it works out as a fix, and i hope dbasals oil loss is a one time thing and is a minor bump in this "fix"

and like dbasal, antennahead, and us v2 ppl ill update as need be =D

Last edited by creationv2; 08-13-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Beerfest

Hi guys/gals, 2006 G35 6MT owner here, hope you don't mind me stopping in?

Since we share the same motor and given that I was experiencing some of the same issues as yourselves, I was looking for answers and tripped across this forum, which as far as I can tell has the most up-to-date info on this matter.

dbasal/4shizzil, could you tell me what the "official" designation for the REV-UP V2 is on your paperwork? My service manager seemed puzzled by my reference to a REV-Up motor and I would like to point to the official Nissan replacement designation.

My issue is similar in that the motor burns oil, approximately 2 QTS / 3500 miles - rediculous in my book, given that I don't run this engine hard at all.(ok, maybe a few times, but...). Even is you consider this normal I am just worried it means I won't have this engine for as long as I think I will.

I also experience slight engine knock at low RPMs. It was like this leaving the dealers lot when I purchased it last year. I always use high octane for those of you who might ask. I feel the issues are related either directly or indirectly in that they point to an engine that may need replacing.

Regards

Mark
Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by Beerfest
dbasal/4shizzil, could you tell me what the "official" designation for the REV-UP V2 is on your paperwork? My service manager seemed puzzled by my reference to a REV-Up motor and I would like to point to the official Nissan replacement designation.

Regards

Mark
im not one of the names you listed but i can answer for you. the name of the motor is a REV-UP it says so on their parts specification to separate between 03-05 and 35th ani/05 track and 06's. on the paperwork our bare engine is what i listed above you, 10102-AC7MZ
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Beerfest

Thanks for the reply creationv2, not a problem, I should have stated "anyone" instead of specific names.

Just to clarify, 10102-AC7MZ is the new motor version 2? It's good to know that REV-UP is actually a name they use, makes me wonder about my service manager, lol. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
i should be picking up my car today or tomorrow....is there anything i should check before driving of the lot?

-dipstick level
-try to look at the nuts and bolts and what not in the engine bay
-condition of car
-....what else?

edit: nvm lol i just picked up my z! yay! it feels so great having it back to drive (the truck i got for my rental was jsut too massive haha)

-the engine part number is just as i stated before AC7MZ (and same theory was still given to me as to what the differnet last letter/number meant)
-oil dipstick level was on the H notch err a little over maybe
-everyone that worked there and saw me and knew what was up made sure they told me to break it in the same way before (as stated in the manual)
+so i drove home under 3.5k; slow acceleration (Granny style baby!)**
-the new motor smoooooooooth, but it doesnt sound like my first one, its so quiet, idk if its b/c of the low rpms, but i dont remember it sounding so damned quiet, its to the point where it wheels like im driving a sedan or something.
+**so on the last mile home i gunned it to just under 4k through three gears....and it sounded like 1-2k on the old motor.
-oil pressure gauge looked liek there was a tad bit more pressure than i last remember it going through the gears.
-idk what they did to my tranny but its smooth quiet too, there isnt all that clanging going on when shifting or going over bumps.

maybe a lot of the things i experienced on my 30 mile trip home was just because the motor is that much more newer than when i bought the car, though it was pretty new when i got it like 15 miles on it....or i might just be used to a broken in motor...but only time will tell, and hopefully it works out as a fix, and i hope dbasals oil loss is a one time thing and is a minor bump in this "fix"

and like dbasal, antennahead, and us v2 ppl ill update as need be =D
I noticed the same thing with the oil pressure at first. Since then though, it has returned to what I was used to with the v1. Good to hear that they put enough oil in and did not miss a bolt.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
dbasal

Thanks for the reply creationv2, not a problem, I should have stated "anyone" instead of specific names.

Just to clarify, 10102-AC7MZ is the new motor version 2? It's good to know that REV-UP is actually a name they use, makes me wonder about my service manager, lol. Thanks again.
Yes, 10102-AC7MZ is the v2. The engine knock would certainly worry me. I never had this problem that many report having. Welcome to the every-growing club. Not exactly the club anyone wants to be in, but good to know you are not the only one.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Beerfest

Thanks dbasal, well they blamed the gas stations and their blended fuels. Problem was, after they retarded my timing the colder weather was upon us and that helped with the pinging so I didn't think much about it. Unfortunately this summer's heat just reminded me what an illusion that was. Now the oil consumption fiasco.

So some of our engines ping and burn oil, wow! flash backs to when I could only afford clunkers with high mileage on them lol!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 AM
dbasal

Thanks dbasal, well they blamed the gas stations and their blended fuels. Problem was, after they retarded my timing the colder weather was upon us and that helped with the pinging so I didn't think much about it. Unfortunately this summer's heat just reminded me what an illusion that was. Now the oil consumption fiasco.

So some of our engines ping and burn oil, wow! flash backs to when I could only afford clunkers with high mileage on them lol!
HAHA. Like the old Chevy Chevettes and such. OK. Maybe going a bit far back on that one.

The pinging usually went along with the engine level being low. Many people went into the dealer complaining about it and the dealer noticed that the oil level was low. This is how many folks got new engines in the begining of all this.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion