Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLOC06
can anyone who has had their engine replaced tell me if they (the dealer) reset the odometer back to zero??
No to a re-set, and I was told by the dealer NO. They were emphatic about that. They said "you've got until 60,000". I personally think the engine should start over at zero. I said "well if it doesn't fix the problem I guess they'll be buying the car back.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
NeverBoneStock

heres my nightmare!! so my consumption has been documented and i have been told by nna well we have a fix in the works and no eta.. mmmmm!!!!! so i go the bbb route . i get a call from nna today telling me my consumption is due to me having pulleys, headers , and a catback exhaust!!! they dont even no about my lower plentum and plentum spacer!!! before with the dealership my mods never came up during my 4 qt big gulp in 3000 miles and thay even documented i have metal shavings in the engine oil!! so my question is what have you guys done in this kind of situation to get the engine replaced.. i have all the documentation on the oilconsumption and metal shaings from the dealership.. and when i started the bbb route they told me its drinking oil due to my mods.. any advise ??? can any one recommend a good attorney??? do i go after the stealership!!!! help!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
NeverBoneStock

oh yeah i just hit the 13,000 mile mark!!!! still gulping!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:32 AM
zmedic16

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
heres my nightmare!! so my consumption has been documented and i have been told by nna well we have a fix in the works and no eta.. mmmmm!!!!! so i go the bbb route . i get a call from nna today telling me my consumption is due to me having pulleys, headers , and a catback exhaust!!! they dont even no about my lower plentum and plentum spacer!!! before with the dealership my mods never came up during my 4 qt big gulp in 3000 miles and thay even documented i have metal shavings in the engine oil!! so my question is what have you guys done in this kind of situation to get the engine replaced.. i have all the documentation on the oilconsumption and metal shaings from the dealership.. and when i started the bbb route they told me its drinking oil due to my mods.. any advise ??? can any one recommend a good attorney??? do i go after the stealership!!!! help!!!!
u should of put your car back to stock, knowin u was going to fight an uphill battle u needed to come correct. now its going to be hell for u to get ur engine replaced. my advise is to get a good attorney to fight the fight. U shouldof at least asked on this forum. if u was to read back like 20 pages i posted that the dealership will even try to give u a hard time if there was even an aftermarket intake. NNA is loosing at least 8-12 grand replacing our engines, and the dealer is using up at least a weeks worth for ur rental they give u while they replace ur engine. i had all the mods u have and spent a ****load to go back to stock.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:25 AM
ZLOC06

Originally Posted by antennahead
No to a re-set, and I was told by the dealer NO. They were emphatic about that. They said "you've got until 60,000". I personally think the engine should start over at zero. I said "well if it doesn't fix the problem I guess they'll be buying the car back.
Thanks for the reply on this. So basically you have to keep track of your mileage from the day the engine was installed. If you had 13K miles when your Z went in, then the warranty is up @ 73K miles right??
Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
They have to prove it to void your warranty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

That will be a bit hard to do since this is as well documented as the tire feathering issue.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Mid117

Exclamation

After faxing over the documents to BBB, I got the call from NNA...they want to swap in a new JDM engine and give me a 100k warranty compensation.

The thing is, I didn't meet the requirements of a buyback/replacement. I've had 4 different issues, not one re-ocurring issue. And my car's been out of service for 23 days total, but you need 30 to be eligable.

I'm still trying to push for a buyback...we'll see how that goes.

Or should I take the new motor and extended warranty? Hmm...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Mid117
After faxing over the documents to BBB, I got the call from NNA...they want to swap in a new JDM engine and give me a 100k warranty compensation.

The thing is, I didn't meet the requirements of a buyback/replacement. I've had 4 different issues, not one re-ocurring issue. And my car's been out of service for 23 days total, but you need 30 to be eligable.

I'm still trying to push for a buyback...we'll see how that goes.

Or should I take the new motor and extended warranty? Hmm...
Well, if the BBB says that you do not meet the state requirements, then it will be very tough to push that issue.

I got the same deal on mine. You really have nothing to lose. If it does not work, then they are in a very bad position. If it does work, you now have a 7 yr, 100,000 mile warranty (unless you go FI or something like that).
Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by dbasal
Well, if the BBB says that you do not meet the state requirements, then it will be very tough to push that issue.

I got the same deal on mine. You really have nothing to lose. If it does not work, then they are in a very bad position. If it does work, you now have a 7 yr, 100,000 mile warranty (unless you go FI or something like that).
I thought they bought your Z back?

I'm going to talk to some people...Not sure if I should bite this or not.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Mid117

oh wait sorry I confused you with Bofa
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
zmedic16

Well i just picked up my car today and short for me to say the car feels sooo much torquier down low.. i havent revved it past 4krpm but i can definetly feel the difference in speed/rpm and acceleration.i cant wait to brake this thing in and do a dyno w/o mods. now the brake in process begins again.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
dbasal

I'm going to talk to some people...Not sure if I should bite this or not.
It will be quite difficult I think to get them to buy it back.

You did just prove something though. It seems that all you have to do is file a BBB Autoline complaint and NNA will respond with the new motor.

Did you only have one official consumption test?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Bevo

Thanks for the reply on this. So basically you have to keep track of your mileage from the day the engine was installed. If you had 13K miles when your Z went in, then the warranty is up @ 73K miles right??
No, 5 yrs or 60k miles whichever comes first
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
antennahead

That's how I thought it should be, but no, they are saying it's still up at 60,000. I wasn't in the mood to argue, believe me, if I have more consumption issues they will buy it back, I have a good attorney. I don't think ANY of these NNA people really know what's going on, because the company doesn't want to "officially" acknowledge the problem exists. The head mechanic sent in the paperwork for the dealership to get paid and the NNA division responsible for warranty work denied it, said they need to try a "re-build" first. Then they said until he submits paperwork for this and tries this method of fix, they would not send him a new engine. He started laughing at them, couldn't stop, told them " you don't understand, I've already been sent the engine and it's in the customers car and he's gone" lol Proceeded to tell them the engine was authorized by the regional rep out of Atlanta and her boss, and direct shipped to the dealer from California. It's obvious here the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing......... in my opinion again, because they don't want to "officially" release any info internally that might cause them to end up with an official recall. It seems these are being handled on a case by case basis, with the customers who are suing or going lemon law/arbitrator getting the engines. Do the math, If you guess at the number of 2006 Zs that were 6MTs (there is another post on this site that lists the number of '06 sold worldwide), and add to that the number of '05 and '06 G35 coupes, well, we get into the hundreds of millions at approximately $7,500 per car.

John
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM
antennahead

On a more positive note, I took the car in today to change the oil and filter, approximately 200 miles on the new engine since the swap. Spoke with the mechanic who did the work, a very nice and intelligent man as well, in his mid 40's I'd say. He is the one that moved here from Nashville and used to work for Infiniti, having done 4 or 5 G coupe swaps over the last few months prior to coming here. He said some of the Gs still used a half to one quart per 4000 miles after the swap, but upon switching to 10w40 it pretty much stopped. He started talking technical jargon to me and said he highly recommended I switch to a 40 weight the next oil change, and consider around 10,000 going to 40 weight synthetic. Started talking about the PCVs on this car etc., lost me, but sounded like he knew his stuff. Anyway, the engine is smoother and the low end torque feels a little stronger as well.

John
Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by zmedic16
Well i just picked up my car today and short for me to say the car feels sooo much torquier down low.. i havent revved it past 4krpm but i can definetly feel the difference in speed/rpm and acceleration.i cant wait to brake this thing in and do a dyno w/o mods. now the brake in process begins again.

Wondering if all the enhanced performance of the V2 is due to the subtle degraded performance of the previous V1 (mine had compresion problems #2 & #4 cyls. - but car seemed strong to me!). What do you guys think - really looking forward to life with a non-oil eating better performing V2!

Last edited by ZPHILE; 08-16-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Wondering if all the enhanced performance of the V2 is due to the subtle degraded performance of the previous V1 (mine had compresion problems #2 & #4 - but car seemed strong to me!). What do you guys think - really looking for to life with a non-oil eating better performing V2!
Sounds logical Captain
Old 08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by zmedic16
u should of put your car back to stock, knowin u was going to fight an uphill battle u needed to come correct. now its going to be hell for u to get ur engine replaced. my advise is to get a good attorney to fight the fight. U shouldof at least asked on this forum. if u was to read back like 20 pages i posted that the dealership will even try to give u a hard time if there was even an aftermarket intake. NNA is loosing at least 8-12 grand replacing our engines, and the dealer is using up at least a weeks worth for ur rental they give u while they replace ur engine. i had all the mods u have and spent a ****load to go back to stock.

Neverbonestock - I agree with the above assessment. Sad to say but seems true - NNA is trying to cover their butt by any means necessary - see above Antennaheads take on the money thing NNA is going through. I've held off on ANY mods until I knew what my '06 oil issue was. BTW - it was bad - getting engine replace. De-mod and then start fresh - use the BBB method post oil consumption test as needed. G/L
Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Neverbonestock - I agree with the above assessment. Sad to say but seems true - NNA is trying to cover their butt by any means necessary - see above Antennaheads take on the money thing NNA is going through. I've held off on ANY mods until I knew what my '06 oil issue was. BTW - it was bad - getting engine replace. De-mod and then start fresh - use the BBB method post oil consumption test as needed. G/L
Mine is a daily driver, and I'm a lot older now (though well preserved If I was you younger guys age again I'd be right there with you on the mods. I am an audiophile though, and have been seriously jonesing for an upgraded sound system, if this engine solves the consumption issue I see a good stereo in my near future

John
Old 08-17-2007, 05:53 AM
ZLOC06

Originally Posted by antennahead
That's how I thought it should be, but no, they are saying it's still up at 60,000. I wasn't in the mood to argue, believe me, if I have more consumption issues they will buy it back, I have a good attorney. I don't think ANY of these NNA people really know what's going on, because the company doesn't want to "officially" acknowledge the problem exists. The head mechanic sent in the paperwork for the dealership to get paid and the NNA division responsible for warranty work denied it, said they need to try a "re-build" first. Then they said until he submits paperwork for this and tries this method of fix, they would not send him a new engine. He started laughing at them, couldn't stop, told them " you don't understand, I've already been sent the engine and it's in the customers car and he's gone" lol Proceeded to tell them the engine was authorized by the regional rep out of Atlanta and her boss, and direct shipped to the dealer from California. It's obvious here the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing......... in my opinion again, because they don't want to "officially" release any info internally that might cause them to end up with an official recall. It seems these are being handled on a case by case basis, with the customers who are suing or going lemon law/arbitrator getting the engines. Do the math, If you guess at the number of 2006 Zs that were 6MTs (there is another post on this site that lists the number of '06 sold worldwide), and add to that the number of '05 and '06 G35 coupes, well, we get into the hundreds of millions at approximately $7,500 per car.

John
Well, that sucks on the warranty for the new engine. I have a brand new engine, yet they are going to "prorate" the warranty based on my current mileage? Sorry, but that's not going to fly with me, I'll be pushing for the 7 year 100K warranty, get my lawyer involved again if needed. I think we all can agree, that we love our Z's, but as far as Nissan the Corporation, they truly suck donkey nutz!! They put so much pressure on each of their dealerships to get the highest possible customer service scores (95-100%), yet the corporate office reps truly suck!! I have to say that this oil problem is bad, but NNA just made it worse with their response. Yea, I know they don't want to blow their load on this issue b/c what it could potentially cost them, but we as paying consumers can give a rat's *** about their bottom line, we all just want a properly functioning car. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this, but until I get my Z back w/ no problems, and 1 year later when I can finally get 350 WHP, I'll be pissed off about this whole damn process!!!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion