Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 AM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZLOC06
Well, that sucks on the warranty for the new engine. I have a brand new engine, yet they are going to "prorate" the warranty based on my current mileage? Sorry, but that's not going to fly with me, I'll be pushing for the 7 year 100K warranty, get my lawyer involved again if needed. I think we all can agree, that we love our Z's, but as far as Nissan the Corporation, they truly suck donkey nutz!! They put so much pressure on each of their dealerships to get the highest possible customer service scores (95-100%), yet the corporate office reps truly suck!! I have to say that this oil problem is bad, but NNA just made it worse with their response. Yea, I know they don't want to blow their load on this issue b/c what it could potentially cost them, but we as paying consumers can give a rat's *** about their bottom line, we all just want a properly functioning car. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this, but until I get my Z back w/ no problems, and 1 year later when I can finally get 350 WHP, I'll be pissed off about this whole damn process!!!
It is truely sad when the bottom line/stock value takes precedant over putting out a quality product and backing it up with excellent customer service. To me it is obvious, this is "crisis management" on their part with the "crisis" being the potential cost to globally resolve the defect. As we have seen, only those that push the issue to arbitration are getting the new engine, and then it still takes a lot of effort to acquire that.

John
Old 08-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by dbasal
It will be quite difficult I think to get them to buy it back.

You did just prove something though. It seems that all you have to do is file a BBB Autoline complaint and NNA will respond with the new motor.

Did you only have one official consumption test?
I didn't even tell him that I did 1 test with the dealer already...Yeah, only 1 test so far
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by Mid117
I didn't even tell him that I did 1 test with the dealer already...Yeah, only 1 test so far
So he called me back, and he wants me to go through some more oil consumption tests before I get the new motor. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
dbasal

It seems that the only real way that a buyback will happen now is if a v2 ends up having the same issue.

All I can say right now with mine is that it has consumed oil at times. Not nearly as constistent as the v1 though. Thankfully.

I still say you can't lose by having them put the engine in and give you the extended warranty. Of course, if you had just had enough of the Nissan BS and want to get rid of the car, then I can certainly understand that too.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
dbasal

So he called me back, and he wants me to go through some more oil consumption tests before I get the new motor. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
I need to type faster.

Hopefully, this will work out one way or another.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:28 AM
ZmaXimus

IMO I think your being to easy on them. If it consumes oil during the first test why have them waste more of your time on a second test.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by dbasal
It seems that the only real way that a buyback will happen now is if a v2 ends up having the same issue.

All I can say right now with mine is that it has consumed oil at times. Not nearly as constistent as the v1 though. Thankfully.

I still say you can't lose by having them put the engine in and give you the extended warranty. Of course, if you had just had enough of the Nissan BS and want to get rid of the car, then I can certainly understand that too.

i jsut realized i dont think i got the extended warranty...imnot sure about the other z who got a swap at the same dealership got one either....idk about him but i didnt really have any hassle in gettign a v2, maybe thats why? or is it soemthign that just comes with getting a new motor from the dealership?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
i jsut realized i dont think i got the extended warranty...imnot sure about the other z who got a swap at the same dealership got one either....idk about him but i didnt really have any hassle in gettign a v2, maybe thats why? or is it soemthign that just comes with getting a new motor from the dealership?
Nissan does not give it automatically with the new engine. I had to be a bit reluctant when the Nissan Tech guru came out for the final repair attempt and offered the v2.

Once he saw my concern of having the engine taken out and a new one put it and what that could do to other parts, he added in the warranty. It seems that Nissan is offering it now to most that go through the final repair attempt fiasco.

In addition to that, I did have to call Nissan several times because they were not showing the extended warranty I told them that should have been part of the deal. Final outcome, I have the v2 with the 7 yr, 100,000 mile warranty, but I really had to be persistent (just like with everything else when dealing with NNA).
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM
ZLOC06

Got my Z back today with the new engine. I have to agree, it does feel a lot smoother in low gears, and the annoying ping is gone. Kinda scary actually, makes me feel that maybe some loss of HP. Need to get the Dyno to prove all is well!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Mid117

^^Good to hear...When I get mine, I'm gonna beat the **** out of it..I broke in my first engine easy, let's see what happens when I break it in hard.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
doctorshumes

Anyone notice they burn more oil while going on long (2hr+) trips or while cruising in 6th gear vs stop and go driving and >3-4K rpm revs.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
Anyone notice they burn more oil while going on long (2hr+) trips or while cruising in 6th gear vs stop and go driving and >3-4K rpm revs.

Yes. That is the one thing that has confused me all along when I had my v1 and it still seems to happen in the v2, but to a lesser extent.

If I am in stop and go traffic; no real issues.

Drive it like I stole it; no real issues.

Drive at cruising speeds for extended periods of time; tons of problems.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
creationv2

so....i chked my oil today....its only been about 50 miles....and its at the half hash area....i think i thought it was full because when i chked it at the dealership it was running then we stopped an waited, and maybe we didnt wait long enough, and since thats apprx 1/2 a qt, im going to think it was their error and that im not burning oil again b/c its only been 50 miles =(

Last edited by creationv2; 08-20-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM
dbasal

so....i chked my oil today....its only been about 50 miles....and its at the half hash area....i think i thought it was full because when i chked it at the dealership it was running then we stopped an waited, and maybe we didnt wait long enough, and since thats apprx 1/2 a qt, im going to think it was their error and that im not burning oil again b/c its only been 50 miles =(
I would have to agree with you. Keep in mind that thanks to the wonderful design, if they check it right after they put the oil in, they will get a false reading. It really has to sit a while.

I would keep a quart on hand and check the morning after the oil change. At least that is my plan to make sure that I am not concerning myself over nothing.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:38 PM
doctorshumes

Finished a 3K mile oil consumption test. Engine has 17.5K miles on it. 1/4 down at 1K miles, 1/2 down at 2K miles, and at the L at 3K miles. Thats not nearly as much as when I was using RP full synthetic instead of the penzoil for the oil consumption test. I also refilled the oil when it was at the 1/2 ,ark with RP instead of not adding anything with the oil consumption test. Im pretty borderline. Will continue with an additional 3K mile oil consumption test for now. Maybe some long distance driving will increase the consumtion. One trip and that would probably do it.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM
dal2kvvisp

Thats dead on what my oil consumption looks like, and i have about 17700 miles. Always used dealer oil, seeing as if i had a problem, they have records of me changing oil at the right intervals, so they couldnt use that as an excuse.

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
Finished a 3K mile oil consumption test. Engine has 17.5K miles on it. 1/4 down at 1K miles, 1/2 down at 2K miles, and at the L at 3K miles. Thats not nearly as much as when I was using RP full synthetic instead of the penzoil for the oil consumption test. I also refilled the oil when it was at the 1/2 ,ark with RP instead of not adding anything with the oil consumption test. Im pretty borderline. Will continue with an additional 3K mile oil consumption test for now. Maybe some long distance driving will increase the consumtion. One trip and that would probably do it.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
antennahead

My mechanic told me that these new engines need a little over 5 quarts to fill for the first time. If you only put in 5, he said it will show about a 1/2 quart low, something about filling all the nooks and crannies. After the initial fill up, a little stays in the engine when drained for an oil change.

John
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
leozim

my new engine is getting replace.......... again. the first replacement was eating up 1 quart of oil after 900 miles of drive. this is the second new engine. according to my service adviser, nissan is supposed to have a fix engine already. im still doubtful but what can you do. i have not contacted BBB on this issue because nissan is replacing the engine with no questions asked twice. so far, everything is going smoothly. thanks john@performance nissan.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by antennahead
My mechanic told me that these new engines need a little over 5 quarts to fill for the first time. If you only put in 5, he said it will show about a 1/2 quart low, something about filling all the nooks and crannies. After the initial fill up, a little stays in the engine when drained for an oil change.

John
thanks, i also called today to check, and they said the same thing, and since it comes filled from wherever its shipped from they dont bother to check, which i think is dumb if its not even a precautionary measure just in case.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
bremboboy

contact the BBB anyway just to help the others!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion