Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
ZLOC06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by CESAROTORRES
Oh yes!!! Unfortunately the M3 will kick your butt. Now get a TT and you will kick a stock e46 M3 easy.

Cesar
Yea, guess I had to learn the hard way, but the Z felt great.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:52 AM
RBlover69

get some bolt ons and a tune ..then the e46s wont be that much of a annialiation. now the new m3s with the new engines ,well...get a GTR jk a TT Z will make due with them. but not a stock boosted Z
Old 08-26-2007, 02:17 PM
ZLOC06

Originally Posted by RBlover69
get some bolt ons and a tune ..then the e46s wont be that much of a annialiation. now the new m3s with the new engines ,well...get a GTR jk a TT Z will make due with them. but not a stock boosted Z
Yea, I'll slowly add some bolt ons, just wanna do it right. It's not my daily driver, so I can take my time and have her running with 380 WHP. Until then, I'll learn to respect the M3s!!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 PM
ZPHILE

Default V2 'installees' update

Known V2 install recipients and their results:

1) Dbasal - maybe not fixed.
2) Theatrix - Still pending - not done w/Break-in
3) RBlover - Done w/Break-in. Post syn oil run will be final result.
4) 4Shizzil - appears to be complete success!!!
5) Zmaximus - still consuming
6) Antennahead - still pending
7) Creationv2 - dont know yet...only 100 miles
8) Hexxum001 - G35 with V2 motor - so far so good
9) ZMedic16 - Still Pending
10)ZLOC06 - 500mi w/no oil loss - but still pending.
11)ZPHILE - 45mi on V2 - still pending
Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
ZPHILE

Default Here's my V2 install adventure!

WARNING - RANT BELOW

First, if I can with all my humanly power, I will NOT be back to Antelope Valley Nissan!!! Why? First, I think I hold the record on time it took to get an engine swapped from time in to time back - EIGHT BUSINESS DAYS!!!. Guess what? I've could have done better by myself in my garage with a rented engine hoist, (I'm not kidding)! Promised time was four days, then five then so on - with no communication. Of course they 'washed' my car even though I embarrassed myself by telling the advisor more than three different times not to. Have great water spots on the finish as a result. I know what side the tech favors when the hood is up - why? The sharp edge from fender to hood is marred and needs to be worked on to get the finish back. I'm praying their neglect of my car's finish does not carryover to the repair work (why I think it would not is anybody's guess). The good news is that they at least put in a new motor with the correct part #10102-AC7MZ and it appears to run pretty good. Will be breaking this in like tomorrow and the next (ROAD TRIP)!
BTW - sort of following the Mototune break-in advice - work & load the car for the first 200 or so miles but below the 4K rev limit of course. Also, the first 20mi being so crucial, the techs put that in on your car before you get it so that they know it runs right - oh well! Changed the oil @ 20mi and put in 10w40 - this ensures that the amount is correct also. Will post when I come back with a broke-in V2!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
marathonhunter

Default 1 week to replace new Rev 2

The dealer took 1 week to replace my engnine. They gave me a free rental. I still have the clicking or jingling at throttle when I accerlate. The mechanic told me its due to weak octane. I'm not sure if its harmful to the engine, but the way the mechanic explained it to me pinging is due to combustion in the exhaust, whatever....

I'm at 600miles, and no oil burning, since the engines that are brandnew are filled at 1/2 mark between L and H..at start. If my oil level gets to L mark I'll know that this engine burns. Because the engine before would burn oil very fast once it hit the halfway mark at L between H.

I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully this is the end of my headache.

mh
Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 PM
creationv2

Smile

Originally Posted by marathonhunter
The dealer took 1 week to replace my engnine. They gave me a free rental. I still have the clicking or jingling at throttle when I accerlate. The mechanic told me its due to weak octane. I'm not sure if its harmful to the engine, but the way the mechanic explained it to me pinging is due to combustion in the exhaust, whatever....

I'm at 600miles, and no oil burning, since the engines that are brandnew are filled at 1/2 mark between L and H..at start. If my oil level gets to L mark I'll know that this engine burns. Because the engine before would burn oil very fast once it hit the halfway mark at L between H.

I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully this is the end of my headache.

mh

you a v2 motor? add yourself to the list
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 AM
bofa

BLAME IT ON CHINA!

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've checked in on all of this. I hope things are going well and am sad to see you are still having consumption problems. Good luck and let me know if you need anything. The Lemon Law seems overwhelming but with a little preserverence (and less time than waiting on a new engine, swapping it, testing it, and going back to the dealer again) you can get the only sure solution so far.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 AM
antennahead

ZPHILE stated: " work & load the car for the first 200 or so miles but below the 4K rev limit of course. Also, the first 20mi being so crucial, the techs put that in on your car before you get it so that they know it runs right - oh well!"

This is exactly how I broke in mine, avoiding exceeding 4000 RPMs. Wish I knew how many miles the mechanic put on it and how he drove it. Oh well, I still think I got it early enough (next day, only driven home night before by tech) to make a difference on the break in. Changed out the oil at 200 miles, right at 1000 now and it is almost at the "H" line. If this keeps up may have a winner. I will repost consumption results at 2000 miles.

John
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 AM
dbasal

Default Minor Update

1000 mile interval and down 1/4 qt on the v2.

> 7000 miles on the v2
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by antennahead
Changed out the oil at 200 miles, right at 1000 now and it is almost at the "H" line. If this keeps up may have a winner. I will repost consumption results at 2000 miles.

John

Who-hoo!!!! Hope we have another winner!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by dbasal
1000 mile interval and down 1/4 qt on the v2.

> 7000 miles on the v2

This sounds like it's not a super guzzler. But, I'll let you say if it's fixed or not. I wish you said 'it hasn't budged for the H mark'.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
marathonhunter

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Known V2 install recipients and their results:

1) Dbasal - maybe not fixed.
2) Theatrix - Still pending - not done w/Break-in
3) RBlover - Done w/Break-in. Post syn oil run will be final result.
4) 4Shizzil - appears to be complete success!!!
5) Zmaximus - still consuming
6) Antennahead - still pending
7) Creationv2 - dont know yet...only 100 miles
8) Hexxum001 - G35 with V2 motor - so far so good
9) ZMedic16 - Still Pending
10)ZLOC06 - 500mi w/no oil loss - but still pending.
11)ZPHILE - 45mi on V2 - still pending
12)marathonhunter 600mi on V2 - so far so so good.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
dbasal

This sounds like it's not a super guzzler. But, I'll let you say if it's fixed or not. I wish you said 'it hasn't budged for the H mark'.
I was hoping for the same. I'm not going to top it off and see what happens over the next few thousand. We know what happened with the v1 when we let you go for a while.

It will be interesting to see the consumption accelerates. 1/4 qt per 1000 is not going to bother me all that much if it is not a constant march down the stick like the v1.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:33 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by dbasal
I was hoping for the same. I'm not going to top it off and see what happens over the next few thousand. We know what happened with the v1 when we let you go for a while.

It will be interesting to see the consumption accelerates. 1/4 qt per 1000 is not going to bother me all that much if it is not a constant march down the stick like the v1.
it may not be a constant march or seem like a consumer....but thats the same thing as 1/2-2/4 every 3k. the worst my v1 ever did was 2.5 qts (in 2k), and that only happened once. everyother tiem i complained about my oil it was onlyhalf a qt down to nearly a qt down every ~2k miles. and i still got a v2. IMO 1/4 or more from the H mark every 1k is still too much cuz that still adds up to nearly 1qt for a regular 3k interval
Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
antennahead

Who-hoo!!!! Hope we have another winner!
LOL I am too hesitant to declare a winner this early in the race....... but I am optimistic that this engine may be ok. It is definitely very smooth and feels more torquey than the last......... maybe I had compression issues with the V1 and didn't know it............... and this is how it's supposed to drive.

John
Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 AM
RBlover69

yea the oddity in my expreince is that my first oil changes where at the H compeltly. But in the break in i babied it so , i wouldnt really expect anything to happen to it because i was not pushing it. The rings and errors though manufactured defects where supposedly accelarated when down shifting or rev matching so to speak. So right now i took the car up to 130 in i4 and have rev matched and down some heal and toe shifting on some bends just to but it through its synthetic paces . I have dragged it once and red lined my first 3 gears to try to give it some work all the way to 7k. If this sucker stays at H like my old 287 did. I cant see it going down in future. Hopefully this 0w40 that this vq loves per testing does the trick along with the new pistons and rings.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
zpwnzu

ZpwnzU - Still burning more oil than Saddam in the first Iraq war - 2500 miles, 2.5 qts low.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by creationv2
it may not be a constant march or seem like a consumer....but thats the same thing as 1/2-2/4 every 3k. the worst my v1 ever did was 2.5 qts (in 2k), and that only happened once. everyother tiem i complained about my oil it was onlyhalf a qt down to nearly a qt down every ~2k miles. and i still got a v2. IMO 1/4 or more from the H mark every 1k is still too much cuz that still adds up to nearly 1qt for a regular 3k interval
That is true. I think after I run 3000 without adding anything, I will have a better idea. Once it extrapolates out, it becomes a big deal. I'll kep everyone updated.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
ZackMax99

Just got a call from my service advisor at Infiniti. Nissan/Infiniti does not have enough motors at this time to replace the engines with this issue, So what they are doing for me is they will pay for all my oil changes until my motor is replaced.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion