Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:25 PM
vamks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is extremely informative, thank you for all your input.

My Z is brand new and shortly approaching 1000. I've researched break-in period oil changes and found 1000 miles to be a general consensus for the first oil change.

I prefer the Series 2000 0W-30 (TSO is Amsoil's code for the oil) for NA applications.
My question is, how would the rules of oil changes be different for a new engine approaching the end of the break-in period? Would the Series 2000 OW-30 still be a preferable oil to use for the oil change?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
shushikiary

Well... the amsoil TSO 0w30 oil sample is in..... and the verdict: amsoil rules and motul drools.

Name:  oilsample.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  131.4 KB

I should note that I rounded the milage on the odometer, so the values shown are not super accurate, but the navi in the car keeps track of how many miles I've put on the oil, and then I change it I reset it, and then when it says to replace it I do. I have it set to 4000 miles so all 3 of the oil samples i've shown have had 4000 miles on them. Even if the odometer values they show dont reflect that.

Last edited by shushikiary; 08-20-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty much what I was expecting. It's not your engine, it's the oil you used before that gave you those results. You have the new formulation of TSO judging by the lower ZDDP and Calcium, but it's interesting to see Amsoil using more Moly in their new blend. It's a 0W-30, not a 0W-40, btw. This new formulation gives wear results right in line with the old formula for similar mileage. Actually, Al and Fe are lower than the mileage would suggest compared to the old formula. Very nice results, Shushikiary. I expect the Schaeffer's to look even better for your engine. Thanks again for posting your UOA's, this is very nice info to have.

So far, the two Motul samples we have are unimpressive and definately not worth the money compared to the alternatives. Can't wait to see the Motul 5W-40 sample someone else is doing, maybe it will fare better. But Amsoil TSO is for certain a great choice for the VQ.

Will
Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Resolute
That's pretty much what I was expecting. It's not your engine, it's the oil you used before that gave you those results. You have the new formulation of TSO judging by the lower ZDDP and Calcium, but it's interesting to see Amsoil using more Moly in their new blend. It's a 0W-30, not a 0W-40, btw. This new formulation gives wear results right in line with the old formula for similar mileage. Actually, Al and Fe are lower than the mileage would suggest compared to the old formula. Very nice results, Shushikiary. I expect the Schaeffer's to look even better for your engine. Thanks again for posting your UOA's, this is very nice info to have.

So far, the two Motul samples we have are unimpressive and definately not worth the money compared to the alternatives. Can't wait to see the Motul 5W-40 sample someone else is doing, maybe it will fare better. But Amsoil TSO is for certain a great choice for the VQ.

Will
Will,
Do you think the new reformulated TSO 0w-30 is fine now? I'm going to order a big batch from AMSOIL, but I'm kinda stuck on whether to order the TSO or the regular ASL 5w-30 at this point
Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by redlude97
Will,
Do you think the new reformulated TSO 0w-30 is fine now? I'm going to order a big batch from AMSOIL, but I'm kinda stuck on whether to order the TSO or the regular ASL 5w-30 at this point
Yeah, it looks really good. The wear metals were in line with the older formula, except Al and Fe were lower. So, it's fair to say Amsoil has improved the blend. It is a thinner oil than before, so I would advise the TT guys to look for something a little heavier. I would definately say it's still a top performer for stock block VQ engines, even better now.
Will
Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 AM
WhosRich

i registered for this site just so i could post in this great thread!

what still don't understand is that if mobil 0w-40 is better than mobil 5w-30 how come it has a higher cST @40C and @100C? i thought 0 weight oil was supposed to be thinner at cold temps. i was under the impression that a lower cSt@40C would be better for colder temps. also, the 0w-40 seems to be ALOT thicker than the 5w-30 @40C. is that ok for the VQ in NYC weather?

Mobil 1 0W-40 cSt @40C 80 @100C 14.3 HTHS 3.6

Mobil 1 5W-30 cSt @40C 64.8 @100C 11.7 HTHS 3.1

i would like to run out and purchase oil today because of the special at Autozone, so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ First post! Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 AM
van46

i informed mobil1 0w40 or greddy oil and they recommend greddy oil 5w 30(and it was not a greddy dealer.greddy is a high class tuningbrand for the z but is their oil so good???has aneyone exp. with greddy oil or nows more about it?

GRTZ
Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Whosrich

what still don't understand is that if mobil 0w-40 is better than mobil 5w-30 how come it has a higher cST @40C and @100C? i thought 0 weight oil was supposed to be thinner at cold temps. i was under the impression that a lower cSt@40C would be better for colder temps. also, the 0w-40 seems to be ALOT thicker than the 5w-30 @40C. is that ok for the VQ in NYC weather?

i would like to run out and purchase oil today because of the special at Autozone, so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
40oC is well above the freezing point, thats the whole reason synthetic 0 weights are so great, they really aren't that "thin" at normal temps, but they don't get as thick when it is really cold like conventional oils. a 0w-30 and 5-w30 can have the same viscosity at 25cc but very different viscosities at 0c
Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by van46
i informed mobil1 0w40 or greddy oil and they recommend greddy oil 5w 30(and it was not a greddy dealer.greddy is a high class tuningbrand for the z but is their oil so good???has aneyone exp. with greddy oil or nows more about it?

GRTZ
I would say it's a fair bet that Greddy doesn't blend their own oil So, the real question is, who does? I don't know and I have never seen an Used Oil Analysis from anyone using their product. If there is one thing to learn from the samples collected so far, a popular name on the bottle doesn't indicate a good product inside of it. All the talk of superior base stocks and what group an oil is in, doesn't matter if it can't perform well. Shushikiary's UOA's are a great example. I would say don't pay extra for the name "Greddy" and just pick up an oil that has shown good results- regardless of the name on the label or the theories behind the base stocks. I think the Amsoil 0W-30 and M1 0W-40 might be the only ones we've tested so far that you can get in Europe. We have very different blends and products that, for some stupid reason, aren't as nice as the options available to you in Europe. (of course, we pay less for our engine oil ) So, check out some Shell Helix Ultra or Elf Excellium and let us know how they do, especially since neither are sold here in the States. I'd love to see how some Fuchs Titan holds up in this engine as well. Any of those in addition to the Amsoil and M1 weights mentioned above would be a good choice.

Will
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
WhosRich

^thanks redlude!

my cars in dying need of an oil change , but im afraid of using the 40weight oil. since switching from dino oil at 15k miles ive only been using mobil 1 5w-30. the numbers show that its much thicker than the 5w-30 so im worried about loss of performance.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Resolute

Redlude hit it on the head. The pour point on the M1 0W-40 is lower than the 5W-30, and the viscosity index is higher. The actual winter weight of the oil is measured in centipoise, and not centistrokes, and is measured two different ways. It's not generally published with the manufacturer's spec data, but a lower winter weight rating will be a "thinner" oil at 0 deg F.

Will
Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil analysis report

Here you go Will:

Castrol Syntec 5w-30
K&N oil Filter
~5,000 miles.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-castrol-syntec.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Resolute

Excellent UOA. I am very impressed with the GTX oil formulation. I still don't like conventional oils for my track days due to low HTHS scores, but for the daily driver who doesn't track the car, I see no reason not to use this oil. It looks good in every UOA done. I honestly think for the majority of drivers, this oil, combined with using either the K&N filter or M1 filter (they're the same filter element) is an excellent combination. Thanks for posting!

Will
Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Once I get the Vortech installed, I'll change my oil every ~3,000 miles with OEM filter. I will compare the Syntec 5w-30 to the M1 0W-40 and run oil analysis reports.

depending on the results I will choose one and use it as these reports aren't exactly cheap
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Biochem7
Once I get the Vortech installed, I'll change my oil every ~3,000 miles with OEM filter. I will compare the Syntec 5w-30 to the M1 0W-40 and run oil analysis reports.

depending on the results I will choose one and use it as these reports aren't exactly cheap
I hear ya. I have to remember every time I change my oil that it's another 30 dollars on top of the cost of whatever oil I'm testing to get a UOA done as well. Makes the cost of a simple oil change a bit steep.

Well, I haven't seen regular old Syntec 5W-30 in the VQ, so I'm curious. But, my bet would be on the M1 0W-40 being a much better oil in your upcoming SC engine. But hey, if it were as simple as picking an oil based on data spec sheets and base stock formulations, then I wouldn't keep dropping that extra 30 dollars every oil change and posting the results Maybe we'll see the Syntec really shine, who knows?

Will
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by Resolute
I hear ya. I have to remember every time I change my oil that it's another 30 dollars on top of the cost of whatever oil I'm testing to get a UOA done as well. Makes the cost of a simple oil change a bit steep.

Well, I haven't seen regular old Syntec 5W-30 in the VQ, so I'm curious. But, my bet would be on the M1 0W-40 being a much better oil in your upcoming SC engine. But hey, if it were as simple as picking an oil based on data spec sheets and base stock formulations, then I wouldn't keep dropping that extra 30 dollars every oil change and posting the results Maybe we'll see the Syntec really shine, who knows?

Will
Will,

My last report was with Syntec 5w-30.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Biochem7
Will,

My last report was with Syntec 5w-30.
LOL, I should pay more attention- thanks for correcting me. I saw Castrol 5W-30 and just assumed GTX for some reason. OK, in my defense I was doing several other things at the time. I'll download the UOA and create a comparison chart entry for the Syntec. The Syntec 5W-30 is a thinner 30wt oil, that's for sure. I would say that fact alone lends favor to the M1 0W-40 being better for your SC engine, but a UOA will tell for sure betwen the two.

Will
Old 08-24-2007, 06:38 PM
van46

[QUOTE=Resolute]I would say it's a fair bet that Greddy doesn't blend their own oil So, the real question is, who does? I don't know and I have never seen an Used Oil Analysis from anyone using their product. If there is one thing to learn from the samples collected so far, a popular name on the bottle doesn't indicate a good product inside of it. All the talk of superior base stocks and what group an oil is in, doesn't matter if it can't perform well. Shushikiary's UOA's are a great example. I would say don't pay extra for the name "Greddy" and just pick up an oil that has shown good results- regardless of the name on the label or the theories behind the base stocks. I think the Amsoil 0W-30 and M1 0W-40 might be the only ones we've tested so far that you can get in Europe. We have very different blends and products that, for some stupid reason, aren't as nice as the options available to you in Europe. (of course, we pay less for our engine oil ) So, check out some Shell Helix Ultra or Elf Excellium and let us know how they do, especially since neither are sold here in the States. I'd love to see how some Fuchs Titan holds up in this engine as well. Any of those in addition to the Amsoil and M1 weights mentioned above would be a good choice.

we have pennzoil en everything in belgium and i think thats shell isn't a good choice,elf most normaly score high.

its the first time i have to change the oil in the car thas becaus i'm a little bit worryd.i will test the greddy3 oil and let you know al about it.i'm just thinking a brand like greddy cant sell bad oil for their turbo engines???can anyone onne help my with info about greddy3 and is it good for the engine because on the site they say 1,3l-2,5l engine

grtz

grtz

Last edited by van46; 08-24-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Bevo

my cars in dying need of an oil change , but im afraid of using the 40weight oil. since switching from dino oil at 15k miles ive only been using mobil 1 5w-30. the numbers show that its much thicker than the 5w-30 so im worried about loss of performance.
I thought Mobil 1 5W-30 was considered thinner weight comparing to other 5W-30

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info