Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

When to replace the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
queasyrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to replace the clutch?

I have an '04 with 78K. I've noticed my clutch engagement point seems to be getting higher and higher. Also, when starting the car the first time, it moves about a foot when engaging in neutral. Time for a new clutch? What are the telltale signs of a clutch on the way out?

Also, what can I expect to pay for a stock replacement clutch job?
Is there a better aftermarket clutch than Nissan's?

Thanks for any advice.
KennyG.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Very good and thoughtful questions!

...subscribing...

--Spike
Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Watch one of those "How stuff works" videos, and see how the clutch grabs the flywheel. The clutch has to grab a spinning flywheel, and turn the remainder of the drive train.

Drive 60 MPH.
Accelerate.
Does the engine RPM increase and the car accelerates?
Does the engine RPM increase, but vehicle speed does not? Probably time for a new clutch.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:11 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Always happy to help. If you have other questions please do not hesitate to waste my time.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Vengence

Originally Posted by davidv
Watch one of those "How stuff works" videos, and see how the clutch grabs the flywheel. The clutch has to grab a spinning flywheel, and turn the remainder of the drive train.

Drive 60 MPH.
Accelerate.
Does the engine RPM increase, but vehicle speed does not? Probably time for a new clutch.
What your describing is actually the clutch spring. Which is different than the synchro mesh which can also go bad. Clutch springs generally go from heavy abuse. Synchro mesh on the other hand makes it harder to engage the gears, you'll get a grinding sound as you put it into gear.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
cliffordrican

o0o0o in ya face lol
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Nismo1182

If its slips under power its time for a new clutch. Changing engagement points are also a sign of a master or slave cylinder on its way out.

Originally Posted by davidv

Drive 60 MPH.
Accelerate.
+1
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
robbiesZ

[QUOTE=Nismo1182;6622484]If its slips under power its time for a new clutch. Changing engagement points are also a sign of a master or slave cylinder on its way out.

+1 next time your on the road at cruising speed 40-45 drop into what is it 3rd to get about 3rpm.. then mash the gas and if you feel like your car just acts saggy or revs then accelerates the clutch is bad. it should be if your driving at like 3-4 rpm and just kit the gas over and over again the car should buck everytime you hit the gas.

and if the clutch gets higher and higher masterslave is probally in order i had to replace my clutch and MS cylinder. (wife was a first time manual driver)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
xxbrokkxx

[QUOTE=robbiesZ;6625873]
Originally Posted by Nismo1182
If its slips under power its time for a new clutch. Changing engagement points are also a sign of a master or slave cylinder on its way out.

+1 next time your on the road at cruising speed 40-45 drop into what is it 3rd to get about 3rpm.. then mash the gas and if you feel like your car just acts saggy or revs then accelerates the clutch is bad. it should be if your driving at like 3-4 rpm and just kit the gas over and over again the car should buck everytime you hit the gas.

and if the clutch gets higher and higher masterslave is probally in order i had to replace my clutch and MS cylinder. (wife was a first time manual driver)
Changing engagement points are not the master and slave cylindar. I replaced mine thinking the same thing and it turned out the pressure plate teeth in the middle were bending.

OP, the clutch disk is i recall like ... 100 or 180 bucks. Pressure plates i dont think are too expenive either.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
robbiesZ

Changing engagement points are not the master and slave cylindar. I replaced mine thinking the same thing and it turned out the pressure plate teeth in the middle were bending.

thank you for correcting my ignorance didnt mean to mislead... i know i had to replace my master slave cuz the pedal would go straight to the floor and wouldnt turn the car on whatsoever. the pedal is still a little too soft for my liking but it works. my wife has tiny legs so it helps in her case to beable to press it down easily.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
xxbrokkxx

Originally Posted by robbiesZ

thank you for correcting my ignorance didnt mean to mislead... i know i had to replace my master slave cuz the pedal would go straight to the floor and wouldnt turn the car on whatsoever. the pedal is still a little too soft for my liking but it works. my wife has tiny legs so it helps in her case to beable to press it down easily.
I'm not correcting you haha, its just after spending 2k for no reason will **** alot of people off including me when that 2k could have went to something to get gains out of. I mean it could be the master or slave its just what was described sounded just like my problem.

Good luck !