Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil catch install begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 PM
jebz240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch install begins *updated and completed*

I posted about this last week but i couldn't edit my original thread for some reason.

I got this off of ebay as I was looking for a can small enough to mount near the Pwr steering reservoir. This is the smallest catch can i could find. With the dimensions of 2.7" diameter and 4.8" height

I wanted to wait until i got it mounted to order the SS 3/8" fuel hose as i didn't know if it would fit and i wanted to order the correct length. I had to move the ground wire at a different angle that sits in the corner where the catch can is now installed. I also had to modify the pwr steering reservoir bracket to move it down and to the right about 1" or so. Pretty easy took about 15 min.. I have plenty of hood clearance. the only thing i do not like is the bracket looks generic and the return hose will go over the pwr steering reservoir. But I think its about the only place i can mount this thing. I will update this thread when its finished which should be next week..

Finished up the install two days ago.. Fairly straight forward worst part was the strut bar being in the way of the engine cover. I left the screw on the drivers side back out thats covered by the strut bar so I should not have to remove the bar to get access in the future. As far as I can tell its fine and have not heard any rattles.

Pics are posted further down the post of the completed job.

I used SS braided 3/8 inch fuel hose from Jegs and red fittings with built in worm clamps. To cut the hose simply use a hack saw and electrical tape to seal the ends to keep the braids from fraying. The pics say it all. I also used the left over hose to replace the overflow hose for the radiator just to match it up some. The PVC connection to the catch can is tight but it still whistles/hisses a bit but it was doing this before i moved it from the plenum so I am guessing its ok? It maybe more noticeable because of its new location? If i pinch the hose it changes sound but both hoses have pressure both the feed and return.

Let me know what you guys think along with any ideas about the hissing/whistling.
Attached Thumbnails Oil catch install begins-picture-003-800x600-.jpg   Oil catch install begins-picture-001-800x600-.jpg   Oil catch install begins-picture-002-800x600-.jpg  

Last edited by jebz240; 07-10-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: updated
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Where did you buy the catch can?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 PM
jebz240

Originally Posted by huyrua
Looks good. Where did you buy the catch can?
Ebay its made by OBX and costs around $45 or so the hoses and clamps are going to cost another $40...
Old 06-27-2009, 03:53 AM
imonlykidden

Looks like a replica Greddy overflow can.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:00 AM
jebz240

The Greddy cans are way bigger than this one. Try to fit the greddy in this spot.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 AM
imonlykidden

Not saying it was. I was saying it looks like a remake/modified one. how has it worked so far?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jebz240
I posted about this last week but i couldn't edit my original thread for some reason.

I got this off of ebay as I was looking for a can small enough to mount near the Pwr steering reservoir. This is the smallest catch can i could find. With the dimensions of 2.7" diameter and 4.8" height

I wanted to wait until i got it mounted to order the SS 3/8" fuel hose as i didn't know if it would fit and i wanted to order the correct length. I had to move the ground wire at a different angle that sits in the corner where the catch can is now installed. I also had to modify the pwr steering reservoir bracket to move it down and to the right about 1" or so. Pretty easy took about 15 min.. I have plenty of hood clearance. the only thing i do not like is the bracket looks generic and the return hose will go over the pwr steering reservoir. But I think its about the only place i can mount this thing. I will update this thread when its finished which should be next week..
I havent looked under the hood yet, but any more info on how you modified/moved the bracket? pics of what was done?

-J
Old 06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
jebz240

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
I havent looked under the hood yet, but any more info on how you modified/moved the bracket? pics of what was done?

-J
no pics sry..

I used a vice and pliers to bend the mount...

-Remove the power steering reservoir from the mount it clips in and will be ok just hanging there while you do this.

-you can then bend the mount. I actually found leaving the mount attached and using pliers/vice grips to bend the metal worked best as bending it in a vice made the bends too extreme.

- be careful with the reservoir when moving it around and make sure to grab it from the bottom where the hoses are connected.. you do not want power steering fluid all over your garage/engine bay.

-make sure the wire harness isn't in the way either while you have the reservoir out. There is a ground cable that is at a 45 degree angle that can be moved to give you more clearance. There are also some retaining clips on a wire harness that can be removed to give more room as well. I had to cut about 3/8" off of the the plastic retainer for the wiper fluid filler as well. I just used snips.

Thats about it. Just test fit it a bunch before you put everything back together. I will get some installed pics next week and will try to get some shots of the mount so you see it.

Last edited by jebz240; 06-27-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
jebz240

Originally Posted by imonlykidden
Not saying it was. I was saying it looks like a remake/modified one. how has it worked so far?
Let you know in a few weeks just ordered SS hoses from Jegs.com
Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
jebz240

Default Pics from the finished install

Pics of the finished install.

I am hoping to get some red silicon radiator hoses.. other than that im done with the engine bay for now.
Attached Thumbnails Oil catch install begins-picture-014-800x600-.jpg   Oil catch install begins-picture-013-800x600-.jpg   Oil catch install begins-picture-012-800x600-.jpg   Oil catch install begins-picture-010-800x600-.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 01:40 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty good.