Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Time for a new clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
tw8715

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time for a new clutch!

So im pretty much clueless

i heard the JWT has more clamping force and is still good for dailydriving.

which i will be doing.

Also the Nismo clutch seems to be promising aswell.

I will be getting both clutch and flywheel.

SO help me pick and opinions are welcome!

im looking for a clutch that might engage an little earlier then the oem.

OEM one grabs kinda HIGH as we all know.

I also heard combos such as a nismo clutch and JWT flywheel. no idea why mix and match? anyone help me understand? lol

thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't care too much then go with the OE Exedy one. It is cheaper and some of the vendors have them.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM
tw8715

Originally Posted by gabe3d
If you don't care too much then go with the OE Exedy one. It is cheaper and some of the vendors have them.
isnt it basically the OEM clutch? does it feel any different or grabs better?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clutch engagement point (any clutch) is adjustable.

Stick with same brand clutch flywheel. THey are designed to work together. Not sure what you are trying to achieve with a mix match.

Interesting choice. Suspect these are off the top of your head because the names are so popular. NISMO is way out of my price range.

I and other members have written detailed clutch flywheel critiques (other than NISMO JWT). Good reading.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:39 AM
tw8715

i picked the nismo and jwt cause iv read they are both "streatable"?

i think im gonna go for the JWT.

i adjusted my oe clutch a little. liked it alot better!

but something just didnt feel right? kinda felt like it was not fully released.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi, If you want something with more grab but still smooth on take offs I can recommend the Southbend OFE, Killer street clutch, Very accurate, Very predictable and just a blast to drive.
Couple this with a SBC billet steel flywheel and you will have a combo that will last much longer and feel/drive better than any other kit available.
I also have the Nismo flywheel available for a great price. Not on the site yet as I just got them in.

Why is this better? Feramic linings last 3-5 times longer than organic, Pressure plate is built off the Exedy race engineered plate, Disk has the "dual rivet" premium grade linings, 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty

Southbend OFE Stage 3

Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tw8715
So im pretty much clueless

i heard the JWT has more clamping force and is still good for dailydriving.

which i will be doing.
All you mention is daily driving.......no occasional track time or anything or future power builds........and to some extent on those I would recommend the JWT clutch and flywheel.

I cant directly comment on the others but I will note that the JWT clutch is as most reviews on this forum depict it.

The other thing when talking flywheels is that the JWT flywheel has a replaceable contact surface.

Notice how the friction plate surface is screwed on:

65 bucks isn't bad at all either:
http://www.importpartspro.com/jwtflrefrpl0.html

I track my car quite often........and a clutch and flywheel is a wear and tear item in my mind.........

that being said..... I would much rather replace a $65 dollar friction plate surface (which is quick and can be done easily)....Than replacing flywheels or removing the fly, running to a machine shop and resurfacing and then reinstalling *(down time and running around bites).....

-J
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 AM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
All you mention is daily driving.......no occasional track time or anything or future power builds........and to some extent on those I would recommend the JWT clutch and flywheel.

I cant directly comment on the others but I will note that the JWT clutch is as most reviews on this forum depict it.

The other thing when talking flywheels is that the JWT flywheel has a replaceable contact surface.

Notice how the friction plate surface is screwed on:

65 bucks isn't bad at all either:
http://www.importpartspro.com/jwtflrefrpl0.html

I track my car quite often........and a clutch and flywheel is a wear and tear item in my mind.........

that being said..... I would much rather replace a $65 dollar friction plate surface (which is quick and can be done easily)....Than replacing flywheels or removing the fly, running to a machine shop and resurfacing and then reinstalling *(down time and running around bites).....

-J
All valid points but...

A steel inserted flywheel like you have mentioned will significantly reduce clutch life.
Inserts have a very high chance to warp with heat.

Since the friction surface is very hard and thin, The heat produced by the clutch builds on the surface and has no where to go but into the friction material which burns up the clutch material, in a solid billet flywheel the heat is absorbed and dissipated better leading to much longer clutch life.

Most serious track and road racers use solid steel flywheels for their durability, High burst strength and longer clutch life.

Only cost approx $20-25 to have it resurfaced VS $65 + shipping to replace the insert and those screws holding the insert on can be a real PITA to remove at times.

Last edited by ZSpeedPerformance; 02-10-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
All valid points but...

An steel inserted flywheel like you have mentioned will significantly reduce clutch life.
Inserts have a very high chance to warp with heat.

Since the friction surface is very hard and thin, The heat produced by the clutch builds on the surface and has no where to go but into the friction material which burns up the clutch material, in a solid billet flywheel the heat is absorbed and dissipated better leading to much longer clutch life.

Most serious track and road racers use solid steel flywheels for their durability, High burst strength and longer clutch life.

Only cost approx $20-25 to have it resurfaced VS $65 + shipping to replace the insert and those screws holding the insert on can be a real PITA to remove at times.
yes i agree..........i felt it good to bring this point up as he said he was more using his Z for daily driving.......

weekend worry track guy.....or once a month track z owner should be fine as well......

serious track Z, i agree...they also most likely dont care about down time to go get a flywheel resurfaced......since its not a daily...

-J
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
tw8715

Not many reviews on the souhbend clutch. I know the jwt has about 1 inch or so lower engagment point.

What about the southbend?? Which one of these two would be better for street?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven both the JWT HD and currently own the Southbend OFE Stage 3.

I think perhaps the JWT might be easier to drive. The Southbend has a more sensitive and higher engagement point, but nothing too crazy that would make it not streetable. The southbend one I have is a great price for the power it can hold.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Engagement point can be changed simply by adjusting the clevis rod at the pedal.
Give it more free play and it will engage lower to the floor, Higher pedal requires less free play. Somewhere in the middle to top range is a good spot as it will release well and fully engage.
I prefer about 1" of free play at the top of the pedal travel when the car is fully warm.

Anytime you change your clutch you may have to adjust the pedal height/engagement point slightly or to your liking.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
dmroberson

I daily drive my Z, no tracking or anything like that, and I use the ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch, with the ACT ProLite Flywheel. I've been completely satisfied with it. Haven't really looked at the JWT or the Nismo or any of the others. Just read up on it, and decided that's what I wanted to get. Was the cheapest at the time iirc...