Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quik question about my transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
PearlZzZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quik question about my transmission swap

I bought a used transmission.. Apparently the car was in an accident and the driveshaft took the impact where it connects to the transmission.. Now i have my old transmission sitting in the shop.. Is this something thats easy to just swap over? from my old one to the "new" transmission? Or get the part? How much labor time do you estimate? Alot of questions but i really appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
PearlZzZ

Any tranny guys on here???
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

physically swapping the tranny isnt hard....Ive done it many times over doing clutch installs for peeps here in DFW....

I plan on making a better detailed (with pics) how to on a 350z clutch install but for now follow my old link:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ghlight=clutch

a pic and hook set is nice to have for removing all the funny tranny wiring clips...the one that is on the drivers side at the very end of the wire loom is hte hardest to get too, but can be done quite easily with a pick and hook set......I see you have your old tranny out already, but figure these pics will help with reference...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-12-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:13 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Here is the last plug connection:

really, other than that, its quite easy...
-J
Attached Thumbnails Quik question about my transmission swap-electrical-connection-last-one1.jpg   Quik question about my transmission swap-electrical-connection-last-one2.jpg   Quik question about my transmission swap-electrical-connection-last-one.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default 4 bolt locations on top - install with hood up all the way!

more pics ive saved over the years...

-J
Attached Thumbnails Quik question about my transmission swap-extension4bolts1.jpg   Quik question about my transmission swap-extension4bolts2.jpg   Quik question about my transmission swap-extension4bolts3.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Default transmission mount and bolt orientation/locations

Crank position sensor and tranny mount again:

-J
Attached Thumbnails Quik question about my transmission swap-tranny-bolt-pattern.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 10-12-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
PearlZzZ

Thanks for the info. But thats not what im asking. I should have phrased it better. My old blown tranny is out of the car.. ive had my car since 05. But i bought a used Transmission. It showed up in the shop. Mechanic Put everythng together. And where the driveshaft inputs the tranny is messed up. It obviously wont connect because its all messed up in there. BUT. The tranny that was in the car.. With a Blown 1st and second gear. Has a good driveshaft input area.. Came off the car fine.. So now what my mechanic is going to try to do is take the internals from my old tranny input area and put them onto the new one... Is this possible? My mechanic really isnt familiar with 350z's. I guess ill know tomorrow. I mean its a transmission shop.. Most things are rebuildable right? Thanks for the input i hope i clarify'd myslef
Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM
PearlZzZ

Thanks J after all the labor i pay im probably going to wind up putting the car on jackstands in the driveway and ordering a whole new rebuilt transmission... Thats what you get for paying 780 for a used tranny.. Im crossing my fingers and hoping my mechanic can get it done. This is a tricky subject im assuming youde really have to know the ins and outs of a transmission to answer this question... 20 days my car has been in the shop.. First i was going to rebuild the one in the car.. Scratched that.. 7 days later my 780 dollar tranny was accidently shipped to ohio.. 5 days later it comes to the right area... And woops shoulda ordered the flywheel with the clutch.. Flywheel comes.. 4 days later.. now theres a problem with the tranny i bought.. FML!!! sorry for the bad novel lol need to get this out... Meanwhile my brothers 370 taunts me in the driveway...