Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Graffkid732: Voltex Kit, Stroked 3.4L GT47-88 2jz Getrag 6 Speed 350z build

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. Like I said, I lost so much motivation that I just took a break from it. I'm getting ready to get in the garage and start cleaning things up and strip what I do not need. I'll be ordering most of the OEM parts I need from Toyota once I get a list of them, then will assemble most of the engine, and from there I will then mount the engine in the car. I have the "I don't care" attitude knowing that even with the engine in, car isn't complete.

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Dynosty does top notch sh**.

Cool to see that you'll get full factory functionality out of the car.
Yeah man this is what I wanted and I'm glad I will be getting that. I'm going to buy a 07-08 HR Cluster since their tach goes all the way to 9,000 RPM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Thanks guys. Like I said, I lost so much motivation that I just took a break from it. I'm getting ready to get in the garage and start cleaning things up and strip what I do not need. I'll be ordering most of the OEM parts I need from Toyota once I get a list of them, then will assemble most of the engine, and from there I will then mount the engine in the car. I have the "I don't care" attitude knowing that even with the engine in, car isn't complete.

Yeah man this is what I wanted and I'm glad I will be getting that. I'm going to buy a 07-08 HR Cluster since their tach goes all the way to 9,000 RPM.
I've actually been interested in the 07-08 cluster for the same reason. (Goal to rev to 8.5k, would like to see where I am, and not rely on the rev limiter or a shift light).

If you find out any info on it let me know, but I know that you can get a black cat gauge face for 07-08 9k rpm for like what $100? That will fit directly to your older dash, and while you're at it, you could swap LED's and update the gauge face design. I was thinking it might be possible to re calibrate the stock tach to go to 9k, or even just swap the stepper motors. But I don't have any real evidence to support this idea.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

with all that work i would just look into fitting a speed hut into the stock cluster. they are only 200 and come with a shift light and are pretty thin and easy to disassemble
I've actually been interested in the 07-08 cluster for the same reason. (Goal to rev to 8.5k, would like to see where I am, and not rely on the rev limiter or a shift light).

If you find out any info on it let me know, but I know that you can get a black cat gauge face for 07-08 9k rpm for like what $100? That will fit directly to your older dash, and while you're at it, you could swap LED's and update the gauge face design. I was thinking it might be possible to re calibrate the stock tach to go to 9k, or even just swap the stepper motors. But I don't have any real evidence to support this idea.

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-17-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM
graffkid732

Reason I wanted the OEM HR cluster is, they should be cheap enough to buy(haven't looked them up yet, just guessing) and the factory look is what I want with it. I could have ran a racepak or what ever else is on the market, but I feel the OEM Cluster will be better looking. Although, I have looked into changing the colors of the back lights and also pulling out the bulbs for the lights I do not want to be on unless the ECU can turn them off.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Cubano4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

updates?????? i want to see this done
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM
graffkid732

Still ordering parts. I ordered 2 TiAL MV-R 44mm wastegates and a Full Race T6 Twin Scroll Turbo Manifold with 2000+ degree titanium coating. Wastegates should be in this week they said and the manifold probably 2 more. They have 1 T6 in stock but the coating takes 5-8 business days plus shipping.

I'm in the process of making a list of all the OEM parts/accessories I need then will be good to go. Making the list is a bit harder than I expected. I have a friend at Toyota that gets me parts at cost, so helps me out there. I just have to supply part #s and quantity.

Believe me, I'm extremely anxious to get this car done as well, but I'm also trying to be able to live a life outside of the garage so I don't spend every last dime on the Z.

I appreciate the support and feedback from everyone. Some know how difficult this could be and others do not, but unless you have unlimited funds, it's not easy. I've come to learn that.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Resmarted

I appreciate the support and feedback from everyone. Some know how difficult this could be and others do not, but unless you have unlimited funds, it's not easy. I've come to learn that.

I always hate when people ask when it's going to be done. As if you don't want to finish!

You're doing great just relax, and enjoy the process!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Believe me, I'm extremely anxious to get this car done as well, but I'm also trying to be able to live a life outside of the garage so I don't spend every last dime
Couldn't have said that better! Keep it up man
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a big build IMO and you should take all the time necessary to make sure everything goes correctly and you have time to do things outside of building your Z.

Sounds like everything is gelling fine op!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Also the inside of the 07-08 cluster look nicer. It has that cool silver ring.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by midz350
Also the inside of the 07-08 cluster look nicer. It has that cool silver ring.
I'm thinking I'll ask someone who would know next time I make a purchase... *Cough* hal/dustin *cough*
Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Status007

Originally Posted by jerryd87
lol not sure what dyno your looking at, 3k rpm rb26-120 hp, vq35de-125, 4k rb26-160 hp, vq35-175hp, it dosnt actually match the vq35 until right around 5k when both are making 225 hp. dynos differ sure but just comparing a stock rb26 dyno(i assure you they are difficult to find) to a stock vq35de dyno you can see the vq has a much much flatter power band and torque curve as well.

thats with stock turbos that are optimized for the stock displacement, you get bigger turbos and the rb26 just goes to ****, example precision 6765 dbb, 4k rb26-225 hp, vq35de-300 hp, 5k rb26-255 hp, vq35de-550 hp. the rb26 has to really extend its rpm band to get the same power and it has a much smaller power band. its simply a fact due to the displacement, just like a lsx v8 will have a much larger powerband then the vq35de. the most you can hope for is to get close by perfectly optimizing the turbo sizes but as soon as you want more power your loosing powerband size.

if someone wants to do the engine swap thats on them but they wont be making a more reliable or better combination. as far as the rb having a better power band then the 2jz iirc(i could be wrong on this) the 2jz stock turbos will handle more power stock then the rb26 ones, so that kinda nulls that since equal turbos would make a worse powerband on the rb26(again could be wrong there) if you insist on doing the rb it should be a rb30, or better yet get a tb48.

so for going off topic graff, you build is pretty awesome all the high quality parts. cant deny that even if it isnt for me lol
so its ok for you to compare apples to oranges but not me? shut the **** up seriously, if your going to ****ing make a comment dont be trying to claim stupid **** when your wrong like "well i ment this model!" you made a ignorant comment and you have posted before on here how you pay people to do your work so until you understand how **** works yourself again stfu. sick of stupid asses that really dont know **** other then what shop xyz tells them commenting like they know from first hand experience.

fact of the matter is you did not have a single shred of any facts you simpy made a comment about what you think and you where outright wrong. want to compare stock rb26 to stock 2jz? fine but its even worse and makes you look even more retarded since the 2jz has alot more displacement plus turbos vs the vq just having alot more displacement. 3k rb26-120hp, 2jz-160hp, 4k rb26-160hp, 2jz-240 hp, the rb26 has to rev out to 6800 to hit its peak match the 2jz peak at 5600, again the 2jz has a much flatter power and troque curve then the rb26. the rb26 makes 90% of its peak power for only 1300 rpm in stock trim, the 2jz makes 90% of its peak power for 2000 rpm.
move on, suck it up and quit spouting ********, that you obviously have no real clue on.

oh yah thats not even touching the fact the stock rb26 turbos max out arond 450 to the wheels and wont last long at that power because of the ceramic wheels,yet the 2jz can handle that without too much trouble or longevity issues, and can be turned up even higher if the owner dosnt mine the decreased turbo life. why? because the turbos are bigger and a bigger displacement. the rb26 is too damn small of a engine
for the first part should we begin grabbing dynos? your its only becomes worse and worse the larger the turbo, in fact the people who actually OWN cars with rb26's in them comment about how the car is no longer streetable with anything larger then a 67mm turbo on it. your just showing you know less and less since with a 6765 on both motors the dynos show around 150 hp at 4k on a built rb26 yet 320 at the same point on a 2jz, both make similar peak while the rb26 is still only retaining 90% of its peak power for 1300 rpms yet the 2jz with a built head has grown to holding 90% of its peak power for 3000 rpms

for the second part you yourself, you have made numerous comments on previous posts about how you cant go one route or another because the shops in your area cant do it, "with my mechanic friend" means he is the one doing the actual work and your just a helper to hold something in place, fetch a tool, or do exactly as he tells you.

to show how ignorant YOU are the usdm turbos dont flow one single bit more of air, the only advantage usdm turbos have is steel shafts and blades, and they spool SLOWER then the jdm counterparts, anything except jdm will have steel shafts and blades. the jdm turbos will support more power because they are larger then the rb26 conterparts and they have less boost for the same power level meaning less stress on the wheels. my references to power numbers where to the jdm turbos, and dynos of the jdm engines, the only turbos which flow more are the ct20 turbos which are found on only the aristo so again stfu because you have no idea what your talking about.

stupid bs like yours is why people need to be shot when they try to make comments about **** when they really have no clue what they are talking about. watching your buddy work on your car dosnt mean you know what your doing. frankly its beyond annoying when i pop on to see if anything good updated and 90% of the time its checkbook mechanics making stupid *** comments. i you have to pay or get someone to help you in order to build a car then fine w/e i think its dumb because its not anything that is impossible to learn but it dosnt matter just dont make comments like you actually know what your doing. especially when that something is trying to convince a group of people who actually know how engines work that a smaller displacement engine can match the powerband of a larger one when using turbochargers. it dosnt happen period, and defies the laws of physics, thermodynamics, and fluidynamics
Shuuuuut up kid your such a drama queen. Wahhhhhhh all you do is cry. We all understand your frustrated with your sexuality as clearly determined in my opening thread, but just relax man your such a tool. Your grammar is pathetic and you need to stop being a keyboard warrior. Go find yourself a girlfriend or better yet, friends in general... Hysterically amusing, looks like you have done just fine of a job assuring my initial analysis of how truly sad you are. I literally take a 3 month break ( less than 90 days BTW ) and here you are raging out again.

Throw Jerry some infractions and teach him a lesson this guy has been screaming like a little girl ever since he came out of the closet. Yoyo get yourself a fresh pressed pair of panties and stop wearing heels kid.

Graffkid GL with your build man, I on the other hand have completed mine.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Status007
Shuuuuut up kid your such a drama queen. Wahhhhhhh all you do is cry. We all understand your frustrated with your sexuality as clearly determined in my opening thread, but just relax man your such a tool. Your grammar is pathetic and you need to stop being a keyboard warrior. Go find yourself a girlfriend or better yet, friends in general... Hysterically amusing, looks like you have done just fine of a job assuring my initial analysis of how truly sad you are. I literally take a 3 month break ( less than 90 days BTW ) and here you are raging out again.

Throw Jerry some infractions and teach him a lesson this guy has been screaming like a little girl ever since he came out of the closet. Yoyo get yourself a fresh pressed pair of panties and stop wearing heels kid.

Graffkid GL with your build man, I on the other hand have completed mine.

After the

"your just showing you know less and less since with a 6765 on both motors the dynos show around 150 hp at 4k on a built rb26 yet 320 at the same point on a 2jz" and "to show how ignorant YOU are the usdm turbos dont flow one single bit more of air, the only advantage usdm turbos have is steel shafts and blades"

I knew he was full of BS and stopped responding to him.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Status007

Originally Posted by midz350
After the

"your just showing you know less and less since with a 6765 on both motors the dynos show around 150 hp at 4k on a built rb26 yet 320 at the same point on a 2jz" and "to show how ignorant YOU are the usdm turbos dont flow one single bit more of air, the only advantage usdm turbos have is steel shafts and blades"

I knew he was full of BS and stopped responding to him.

I mean I am no picnic I tend to be persistently relentless which at times ends me up looking like an emotional roller coaster, but I'm working on it. I would not let Jerry anywhere near my car not even to change my oil, seriously. Jerry literally has no idea what he is talking about 99.9% of the time and I corrected him on multiple occasions by a simple google search. Regardless he has this weird ignorant phobia against people who don't labor on their own cars. In all reality belittling people who are not mechanically inclined just shows want a closed minded hater he is. If you think about it and do it properly, " the shop " ( if reputable like Dynosty ) covers any and all mistakes along with a warranty. So one could argue that those " CHECKBOOK-TUNERS " he speaks of ( if negotiated properly ) are actually much better off than your average do-it-yourself type of individual. Lets be honest their are not many people in this world even with degrees that are truly qualified to start wrenching on your car so your risk of failure, weak-links, time, etc etc etc etc are much more prone to work against you when taking on big hp builds and lets face it Jerry is far below average, that is a compliment btw.

That being said Jerry, why can you not grasp the fact that as much as some people may want to learn and take on their own labor in the build(s) that it simply is just not a viable option when accounting risk and finances because news flash Jerry when your spending 20k on a car and 40k on parts... Your in about 60k what is another 7-8 grand for the assurance of a warranty and the fact that if anything turns fluke it is not your problem not to mention the labor.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 AM
graffkid732

Finally have most of the OEM parts I need for my list. So far there are in between 30-40 parts and I see myself adding another 10-20 parts to truly complete the Toyota list. Then to work on the list for Nissan which should only be about 10-15 parts. Once the Toyota parts come in, the engine will be in the car and I'll be bolting manifolds and turbo on.

On a good note, the turbo manifold came in yesterday so here are some pics of it. I also spoke to the shop that I bought the manifold from who also makes carbon fiber dashes and is in very well with the company. I will be having products made for my Z that aren't available on the market. I am going to get the parts to them and have the molds made soon so we can start getting stuff together.

Full Race Titanium Coated T6 Twin Scroll Turbo Manifold

Actual color in the first picture and a closer view in the second picture.

My new thing is asking for T shirts when I order stuff. This is what they sent me.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM
jerryd87

see above

Last edited by jerryd87; 08-16-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM
jerryd87

im just deleting this not gona spam graff those of us on here who actually build cars know who here actually knows what they are talking about and who is full of it.

graff that manifold makes me honry lol

Last edited by jerryd87; 08-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build man. I remember when you started it last year and remain as intrigued as I was when you posted last year. Just a question, what do you do for a living? You have to be an engineer or into business management or something to afford a build like this.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 AM
graffkid732

im just deleting this not gona spam graff those of us on here who actually build cars know who here actually knows what they are talking about and who is full of it.

graff that manifold makes me honry lol
Haha Thanks

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
Nice build man. I remember when you started it last year and remain as intrigued as I was when you posted last year. Just a question, what do you do for a living? You have to be an engineer or into business management or something to afford a build like this.
Thank you!

I'm a Technical Service Representative full time and work a part time job a few hours a week.

This is a lifestyle for me so I dedicate a lot of time to this car whether I am working on it, working for parts, or researching. I wish I can say this build is just pocket change hah.

Small not so good update

I ordered my wastegates 2 weeks ago and think I am getting "screwed" around with them, this is the 3rd time since I started building this car has this happened. 2 of the 3 "shops" that this happened with, I had successful purchases before. I don't know what the hell is up with these companies. Took the money but horrible communication, received no invoice yet, told me I would have them by the end of that week then 2 weeks after says they were out of stock at Tial that they should be restocking the next day and then he will "upgrade" my shipping to overnight which means they should be in today, but I have heard nothing back and no tracking number.

I should be putting my order in with Toyota early next week and hoping I can get these WGs soon and from there like I said, I will be dedicating a weekend to install the miscellaneous parts then place the engine in and see how everything fits.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Haha Thanks

Thank you!

I'm a Technical Service Representative full time and work a part time job a few hours a week.

This is a lifestyle for me so I dedicate a lot of time to this car whether I am working on it, working for parts, or researching. I wish I can say this build is just pocket change hah.

Small not so good update

I ordered my wastegates 2 weeks ago and think I am getting "screwed" around with them, this is the 3rd time since I started building this car has this happened. 2 of the 3 "shops" that this happened with, I had successful purchases before. I don't know what the hell is up with these companies. Took the money but horrible communication, received no invoice yet, told me I would have them by the end of that week then 2 weeks after says they were out of stock at Tial that they should be restocking the next day and then he will "upgrade" my shipping to overnight which means they should be in today, but I have heard nothing back and no tracking number.

I should be putting my order in with Toyota early next week and hoping I can get these WGs soon and from there like I said, I will be dedicating a weekend to install the miscellaneous parts then place the engine in and see how everything fits.
In the same boat myself. Waiting on a flywheel that appeared to be in stock paid 2-3 day to find out it is special order item.. Still no confirm as to what the state the order is in. I only use Thmotorsports, Driftmotion, frsport and enjuku...

Quick Reply: Graffkid732: Voltex Kit, Stroked 3.4L GT47-88 2jz Getrag 6 Speed 350z build