Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HELP! HELP! HELP! How to reinstall the 350Z steering coupler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM
MonkeyMagic72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! HELP! HELP! How to reinstall the 350Z steering coupler?

I recently finished DIY install PPE LTH and for full exhaust system. Against all odds, I was able to manage remove the OEM exhaust manifold and cats, then install the PPE LTH headers without removal of all the coolant hard pipes and coolant draining.

Now, I am at the stage to reinstall the steering coupler, but I am not able to put it back in for some reason.

This steering coupler has been whooping my *** for about almost two days now. I just can not put the steering shaft back in the the steering coupler.

Please, someone drop in and give me some pointers to get this sucker install, so I can fire up my HR and get her back on the road again.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
mkiv20vt

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a flat spot on the top part of the knuckle that needs to be lined up properly. Look at the orientation in the picture above.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 PM
MonkeyMagic72

Originally Posted by mkiv20vt
There's a flat spot on the top part of the knuckle that needs to be lined up properly. Look at the orientation in the picture above.
That picture is a modified steering coupler angle grind down clearance for the APS turbo. I choose this picture as a sample, not the actual picture. 350Z OEM steering coupler does not have that angle grind down. I got the bottom coupler in, but have no room to put the top in. It seems like I have bend it to force it in. How hard did you have to slide the steering shaft into the coupler when you reinstall it?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 960 Likes on 725 Posts

put the top part on first (so that the coupler is on the steering shaft) since you have more flexability. it'll slide up the shaft more. Then swing it over and put the bottom piece on. It's a 2 minute really.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Other guy is referring to the flat spot in the shaft. The shaft and coupler go on in one position only. With or without the grinding mod.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:40 AM
MonkeyMagic72

Originally Posted by Cux350z
put the top part on first (so that the coupler is on the steering shaft) since you have more flexability. it'll slide up the shaft more. Then swing it over and put the bottom piece on. It's a 2 minute really.
I swear I tried to install the top part on first, then the bottom the first time I put it back together. Which angle or side do you swing the bottom coupler onto the bottom shaft? I was so relief when you say it is a 2 minute job.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

I slide the upper part on first. Itll go further up the shaft than it needs be. Make sure both bolts are loose. You should be able to swing the shaft on around for access. I dont have LTH but i do have turbos and piping in that area but it was wide open.

One you slide the coupler up you can maneuver the shaft and coupler over and the drop down/rotate as needed and put onto the bottom.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 PM
MonkeyMagic72

I got that sucker in. It was too easy, lol. I had to use a flat head screw driver to spread open to widen both the top and button of the steering coupler, so I can slide it further up to the to steering shaft to have more room. Then, slide the bottom coupler in to drop down onto the bottom steering shaft like you said. I tight those 12mm bolts in place and I am good to go now.

Thanks a bunch, Cux. You are the life saver.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:48 AM
OohShiny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize I'm necro'ing a 7 year old thread here, but I had similar problem putting the u-joint back on the lower steering gear while installing headers. This is the best thread I found on the topic.

Lower steering u-joint wouldn't slide up or down on the lower steering shaft. I was able to pry open the top collar of the u-joint with a screwdriver and hammer, which allowed the collar to slide up. However I couldn't rotate the steering wheel to straight position with the screwdriver wedged in the collar, and if i took the screwdriver out, the u-joint wouldn't slide on the shaft. I scratched my head over this for a while.

I ended up greasing up the end of the shaft (cough) with some silicon lube, wedging the top collar of the u-joint open with the steering wheel off center, then sticking some quarters in there to hold the collar open, then rotating the shaft until the steering wheel was straight, and finally sliding the u-joint down the shaft to fit on the bottom steering gear.

Maybe this will save someone some time.

Last edited by OohShiny; 07-08-2021 at 10:51 AM.