Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you can still remove the sensor with JB weld on the threads?
I've never had an issue. Then again you don't have to use much to get the job done.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10-E-C-350Z
What is everyone doing for the fuel system? does it require a return system? If so, I assume a basic AAM unit would work fine, right?
i would think so. im running my old sp triple pump with pushlock hosing to the rail, and same return line, etc as before
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Same for me. I am considering going to the single DW pump and back to the stock fuel basket. The SP hanger will be up for sale as soon as I'm motivated to get it out of the car.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Rambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone give me their humble unbias opinion on which kit is better? Hinson or sikky? overall pluses and minuses of each. I have read thru here and several other threads and there is no real clear cut answer. Both are very different in their approaches.

btw. the only reasons i am considering this is that my motor is eating oil, I have always wanted a vette, and i am more than capable doing this myself. Just looking for a little insight. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

No reason to make excuses for why you are doing this

The general concensus is that SIKKY provides a bit less of a complete kit, but allows for a wide range of LS swaps. The big draw for Hinson was that it was supposed to make everything PnP and functional and word is that the electronics still don't work that way.

Members that have spoken with SIKKY have raved about their customer service and the fit and finish of their parts... not so with Hinson (ask SnyperZ). IMO, SIKKY has the better bang for the buck.

Completely unrelated..... 10-E-C-350Z please change your avatar... it disturbs me greatly
Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
TehkMob

I've read alot about Hinson just having hardly NO quality control on their parts. I've read their oil pans LEAK!! I've seen the SIKKY kit in person and Installed, The quality of the mounts, drive shaft and OILPAN are Top Notch. Dollar for dollar, sikky all the way, quality is untouched. Eletronically, **** them both, They both advertisse PNP, SIKKY claims everything works except the tach, but thats BS. There were alot of wiring issues with the harness they sent back. It's actually whats kept my buddies G down for TWO EXTRA MONTHS! because of this I've spoke with Hinson about their electronics side of things, and they arent on top of their **** either. If you DO go with them for your electronics, expect to pay around $1500-$2000.
I'm personally going to try and do my own wiring and hook into a racepack cluster, **** it.
BEWARE, if you ls2 swap, advise not to let sikky do the wiring.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Rambo

That was actually my next question. I was thinking of breaking out the good ol solder iron and go to town. Do they provide a pinout?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 PM
10-E-C-350Z

^ This is where I come up short too. It's my understanding that the alternator is completely controlled by the ECM on these later LSX's. That being said, how does one go about getting the alternator thats being controlled by a GM computer to charge the car?

Also, The sensors needed to properly run the engine stay on the GM side of the house, and only sensors needed to operate gauges stay on the Nissan side, so there's a pretty distinct line drawn between the two systems with minimal interaction...correct?

Last edited by 10-E-C-350Z; 06-17-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Rambo
That was actually my next question. I was thinking of breaking out the good ol solder iron and go to town. Do they provide a pinout?
I have actually officially taken the final step with my swap and becoming a racecar... all the stock removing has been removed. Including the power windows, brake lights and headlights. Hardwiring everything with my own relays to remove the stock ECU and BCM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Rambo

^ This is where I come up short too. It's my understanding that the alternator is completely controlled by the ECM on these later LSX's. That being said, how does one go about getting the alternator thats being controlled by a GM computer to charge the car?

Also, The sensors needed to properly run the engine stay on the GM side of the house, and only sensors needed to operate gauges stay on the Nissan side, correct?
Is there a pun in there somewhere? so does Sikky or Hinson provide a pin out of the ECU?

I would think all you need to do is provide 12V to any accessory that needs power and the FM ECU would power it....
Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
10-E-C-350Z

No pun. So the GM ECM would go ahead and take care of exciting/regulating voltage output and you just extend/shorten the nissans wires as necessary to reach the output of the alternator? I could be overcomplicating the process. without my car in front of me it's difficult to imagine the workings.

Last edited by 10-E-C-350Z; 06-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM
bbs350z

sikky has had my wiring for about a month now. they told me 3-5 weeks for it. i know of the tach and a/c issue. i will report back how everything goes once all is said and done. i am on all stock sensors, etc. btw, and getting it started up on all stock components as well
Old 06-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I am wondering if the full stand alone will solve some of the compatability issues? My tuner, whose main source of income comes from building vehicle specific race harness applications, said he could fab an entire new harness but its likely cost prohibitive (appx $3K).

TehkMob - very interested to hear your results and what bbs thinks of the SIKKY wiring job. The companies need to know that providing what is advertised is required.

This swap option is gaining momentum in our community. When its established that you can have a solid functioning car with a huge powerband, F/I options and stock block reliability for less than the cost of a built VQ F/I setup more will consider it.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Cass007
I am wondering if the full stand alone will solve some of the compatability issues? My tuner, whose main source of income comes from building vehicle specific race harness applications, said he could fab an entire new harness but its likely cost prohibitive (appx $3K).

TehkMob - very interested to hear your results and what bbs thinks of the SIKKY wiring job. The companies need to know that providing what is advertised is required.

This swap option is gaining momentum in our community. When its established that you can have a solid functioning car with a huge powerband, F/I options and stock block reliability for less than the cost of a built VQ F/I setup more will consider it.
The full standalone is the route I took and it worked great. If you run a full standalone though with it's own harness I don't see why you we need to make it "vehicle specific though". Just run the appropriate wires (i.e. TPS Sensor, Crank Sensor, Knock Sensor) to the corresponding sensors and call it a day. That is what I did at least.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM
05Z33

I love this thread. I was looking to build my motor and throw in large twins, but a boosted LSX motor is calling. I need to do more research on the LS motors before I decide which route to take. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with over the next several months. My biggest concern is keeping factory AC since I live in South Fla.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by Quamen
The full standalone is the route I took and it worked great. If you run a full standalone though with it's own harness I don't see why you we need to make it "vehicle specific though". Just run the appropriate wires (i.e. TPS Sensor, Crank Sensor, Knock Sensor) to the corresponding sensors and call it a day. That is what I did at least.
What are the benefits of going with a full standalone? Will the stock tach work? What about the other functions?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the route I am going to end up going it using Chase Bays harness: http://www.chasebays.com/product/nis...chevy-ls1--ls6..

And then running a switch panel..with Relays for Fan, lights, fuel pump ect...

and then run HP Tuning with it..

Last edited by Royal_T; 06-18-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM
10-E-C-350Z

^ Wow, that's an incredibly clean/simple looking harness.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
hpka365

Originally Posted by Cass007

^^THIS^^

I was really debating on what to do car wise next year and after researching more I've decided to just do an LS swap on the Z. It's cheaper and more reliable than any other option. I hope these companies can realize the potential of these kits and get all the issues sorted out.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Wow, that's an incredibly clean/simple looking harness.
Yup and they can add in Relays for what every you want..

Quick Reply: The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread