Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting creative with HID Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:58 PM
NTRIGUE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting creative with HID Xenons

So I need to move away from the white HID look...

I am thinking 8000K-10000K (BLUE-PURPLE) bulbs to replace stock 4300K bulbs. Then...

Order just an install kit (ballast, harness, etc) for the HI-BEAM fixture and install the previously LO-BEAM bulbs (4300K) in the place of the halogens. (This is simply a cost effective approach - if necessary I will buy a 4500K-6000K bulb for the HI-BEAM)

Here is my thought process; great looking LO-BEAM for ordinary driving and a similarily great functioning HI-BEAM for backroads and highways at night.

So picture a deep blue/purple met with a light blue/white beam and a blue/white parking lights. I intend to achieve the stylish Mercedes AMG appearance.

I intend to have a substantial amount of pictures available on this thread in order to prevent the endless searching I experienced regarding replacing HID lights.

*For those without much HID knowlede the higher the (K)elvin the greater the coloration but a decrease in brightness - AUDI or Mercedes. A lower (K)elvin the whiter and an increase in brightness - 350Z. Please note: even a 10000K HID is brighter in lumens than most more expensive halogens.

Last edited by NTRIGUE; 02-09-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
BoostTed

the only problem HID's in the high beam is there are times when u need the high beams to light up right away, like when u cant stop in time for a yellow and need to run it, I give the on coming car a few quick flash of the highs to let them know im gonna run it. Or when going on a dark road and a turn is coming up you would like to hit the highs so you can see better. With HID's they need to warm up and by the time they do its too late.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:22 AM
NTRIGUE

That is the arguement for Xenon as the HI-BEAM. In my situation I never use my HI-BEAMS in short duration. This configuration will not work for many. On the other hand, those that are upgrading their 4300K factory bulbs what, place them in a drawer (exposed to humidity and dust) if the flashing causes premature failure I would be more than happy to throw some 6000K in their place (only $220 a pair).

Last edited by NTRIGUE; 02-10-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 AM
BoostTed

Originally posted by xcmpx
That is the arguement for Xenon as the HI-BEAM. In my situation I never use my HI-BEAMS in short duration. This configuration will not work for many. On the other hand, those that are upgrading their 4300K factory bulbs what, place them in a drawer (exposed to humidity and dust) if the flashing causes premature failure I would be more than happy to throw some 6000K in their place (only $220 a pair).
donate the old HID bulbs to me i need to upgrade the lighting on my base Z
Old 02-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Getting creative with HID Xenons

Please note: even a 10000K HID is brighter in lumens than most more expensive halogens.
You don't know what you're talking about. True 8000K or 10000K rated bulbs are going to be ABSOLUTE ****!!!!! You won't see a thing. getting that high in the spectrums cuts lumens down big time. Getting into 6500-7000K range, you are nearly at haligen class lumens, but at those astromomical kelvin ratings, that in reality don't exist, your light output would be just plain dreary. Not to mention the eyestrain you as the driver would get from such high color. You want good color, retro some S2000 projectors in and use a stock HID bulbs.

Last edited by Zivman; 02-10-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Zivman

Default Re: Re: Getting creative with HID Xenons

Originally posted by Zivman
You don't know what you're talking about. True 8000K or 10000K rated bulbs are going to be ABSOLUTE ****!!!!! You won't see a thing. getting that high in the spectrums cuts lumens down big time. Getting into 6500-7000K range, you are nearly at haligen class lumens, but at those astromomical kelvin ratings, that in reality don't exist, your light output would be just plain dreary. Not to mention the eyestrain you as the driver would get from such high color. You want good color, retro some S2000 projectors in and use a stock HID bulbs.
don't believe me? Go spend a couple hours reasearching your plans here Maybe make a post or two in regards to 8000K or 10000K bulbs and do a few searches and I'm sure you'll realize that is would be a waste of money.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
NTRIGUE

True 8000K or 10000K rated bulbs are going to be ABSOLUTE ****!!!!! You won't see a thing.
a) I can appreciate that 'true' 10000K would be extraordinarily hard to get your hands on. edit: 8000K-85000K.

b) They do have a greater luminosity (brightness) however, the human eye is not as sensitive to this side of the color spectrum thus appearing to be less effective and causing eyestrain.

c) I am 95% in the city at night with plenty of lighting available. I can distinctly think of few times I would/could need to utilize the HI-BEAM.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Zivman

a) I can appreciate that 'true' 10000K would be extraordinarily hard to get your hands on. edit: 8000K-85000K.

b) They do have a greater luminosity (brightness) however, the human eye is not as sensitive to this side of the color spectrum thus appearing to be less effective and causing eyestrain.

c) I am 95% in the city at night with plenty of lighting available. I can distinctly think of few times I would/could need to utilize the HI-BEAM.
Where are you getting your info? Who makes an 8000K bulb? not osram, not philips. Yes, you will get eystrain from a high kelvin bulb. It has nothing to do with how sensitive the human eye is. It is a matter of driving and looking at the blue/purple that this K rating would produce. Trust me, I have driven cars with 6000K rated philips bulbs and after a while, you get eystrain from the color.

Before you make your purchase, go look around at hidplanet and see for youself.

A few links for your benefit:
LINK 1

Quote in regards to 12000K rated bulbs:
"you can expect them to be either the same brightness as your halogen headlamps or dimmer, but the amount of eye fatigue included will be a problem."

Another quote from the linke thread:
"I had 8500k bulbs, they were 100% blue, everything was blue and in the wet there was NO ground lighting only street signs are visible and they're blue. 4k is brightest anything higher is dark as night"

LINK 2

Quote:

"I had to drive my gf's car all the way to Vegas (3hr drive for me) and she had 8000K+ HIDs installed. Her previous bf put them in there as a birthday gift for her (worst gift ever). This is my first time experiencing first hand 8000K+ from the driver seat for a long drive and it was pretty bad. The blue light made it hard to focus on the road because I'm used to very crisp white color being thrown out from my retrofitted headlights. It got old real quick seeing REALLY blue light on the ground. I got worried every time a cop would pass me, wondering if I'd get pulled over. When I got back in my Civic with a retro, it was a HUGE difference, made me appreciate retros that much more. So if you are considering 8000K, please don't do it."

LINK 3

This link has direct comparison of 4300K vs 8000K
Old 02-10-2005, 11:13 AM
doodeitstom

Ok zivman, you seem pretty hellbent in proving anything above 4k is brighter. Well here is a pic of my old accord.

spw 7500k See the output? It sucks! I know a guys with 8k HID's and their output blows. When it gets dark and starts raining, you cant see sh*t. If there are no road reflectors then you cannot see sh*t. If you want the show and attention then get the 10k or whatever, whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Zivman

Originally posted by doodeitstom
Ok zivman, you seem pretty hellbent in proving anything above 4k is brighter. Well here is a pic of my old accord.

spw 7500k See the output? It sucks! I know a guys with 8k HID's and their output blows. When it gets dark and starts raining, you cant see sh*t. If there are no road reflectors then you cannot see sh*t. If you want the show and attention then get the 10k or whatever, whatever floats your boat.
Thanks for backing me up.

the reason you can't see as well with the higer kelvin in the rain is because the light scatters very easily. This makes the higher kelvin ratings even LESS desirable.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
NTRIGUE

Thanks for your input guys (particularily Zivman). I could have put myself in a dangerous and disappointing position. The HIDPLANET forum has exactly what I was looking for.

Oh yeah, Zivman settle down a little, you're turning into one of 'those people' that turns an opinion board into an arguement. I agreed with every word you typed from Day 1.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:53 PM
doodeitstom

No, I dont think he was trying to make it an argument. It just happens to sound like it. He is trying to save you from making a bad choice in lighting.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
NTRIGUE

Have you seen the AMG Mercedes with the 'cool blue' or even 'soft green' for their Xenon HIDs?

Another huge factor in the HID coloration is the projector lens. The Honda S2000 has some of my favorite HIDs.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Zivman

Thanks for your input guys (particularily Zivman). I could have put myself in a dangerous and disappointing position. The HIDPLANET forum has exactly what I was looking for.

Oh yeah, Zivman settle down a little, you're turning into one of 'those people' that turns an opinion board into an arguement. I agreed with every word you typed from Day 1.
I'm not pissed, just trying to inform -
Old 02-14-2005, 06:20 PM
rclab1

Default thanks for the INformation....

I too wanted the 6000k-8000k Bluish/Purplish LOOk on my Z Roadster, now that I have read the Links you posted, I'm going to stick with the OEM 4700K HID that came with the car.....

but Having a Nice tint of Blue looks Elegant though.....
Old 02-17-2005, 02:06 PM
kimara

I am not as familiar with the bulbs as you all are, but my lights are blue, a very bright deep blue. It is an 05 zr. Did they change the head lights on the 05 model?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Zivman

Originally posted by kimara
I am not as familiar with the bulbs as you all are, but my lights are blue, a very bright deep blue. It is an 05 zr. Did they change the head lights on the 05 model?
no they didn't. It is really not that the lights are blue, it is more that the surrounding light is really yellow at the times you have your lights on, sunrise, dusk and nighttime. This makes the lights look really blue. not to mention that fact that you are getting some blue in the cut-off.