Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermaket hood letting water into the Belts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

like i said done correctly, and i know for a fact our clu's(javelin launchers) is definitly wet layup vacuum bagged. resin left on it is still a bit too thick to be prepreg. but yah like i said the seibon and vis stuff is absolute crap. vacuum bagging can be done pretty good as well, i might try vacuum infusion down the road.
Originally Posted by mr. sparco
The CF on exotics, military, true race cars, planes etc are aerospace prepreg dry carbon with minimal resin and completely carbon all the way through the entire part. The aftermarket crap out there for our Zs is made of fiberglass with one aesthetic layer of carbon and too much brushed in resin.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Arvin89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
i think the reason its catching on more is the affordability factor, price has really dropped i can get a 50" by 1 yard piece for 25 bucks 3k 2x2 twill, 10 years ago or so the price was triple that or more.

is it a fad for alot of people? sure but that wasnt the original intent i know alot of our military equipment uses it now for lighter carry weight, while maintaining strength.
Yeah that may also be the case. As for military id have no clue. But i know for a fact that the US military would go to almost any expense for making the job just a tad easier on its soldiers. So it makes complete sense.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm you might need to get that looked at OP

Tons of people have run aftermarket hoods without issues for years:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ain-water.html

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ly-driver.html

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...drip-tray.html
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 AM
jerryd87

trust me thats a myth they had the opportunity to get new squad automatic weapons that drop the saw gunners load from ~56 lbs for weapon + 1000 round combat load down to ~23 lbs and dint do it because the caseless ammo "cant be used in m4's" yah you will never see soldiers delinking saw ammo to put in a m4.

but yah some stuff i imagine is prepreg carbon fiber but its nothing the average soldier will see most is wet layup with vacuum bag, or at best vacuum infusion its always the lowest bidder that wins.
Originally Posted by Arvin89
Yeah that may also be the case. As for military id have no clue. But i know for a fact that the US military would go to almost any expense for making the job just a tad easier on its soldiers. So it makes complete sense.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 AM
aavq85

is not a tension problem, i had the belt set to the correct tension and i know that because it doesn't make any noise unless it rains, the car is usually garage keep and it never makes the noise. the few times i have taken it out and it rains... you can hear it slipping and then after a few seconds once the water gets pushed off.. it comes back to normal.

but i think im just going to fill the wholes with fiberglass and call it a day.

Thanks,
Originally Posted by misterniceguy
You may just have to tighten up the belt a little. I have had a vented hood on for years now and there is no issues with water.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 AM
evilscorp

Originally Posted by aavq85
is not a tension problem, i had the belt set to the correct tension and i know that because it doesn't make any noise unless it rains, the car is usually garage keep and it never makes the noise. the few times i have taken it out and it rains... you can hear it slipping and then after a few seconds once the water gets pushed off.. it comes back to normal.

Thanks,
Got the same problem with my seibon hood, might try exhaust wrap but its a weekend car so only use it when the weather is nice, the rest of the time it stays garaged. Just dont use tape as it is a nightmare to get off once the rain has washd the glue everywhere!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 AM
nathanwl2004

to be completely honest the reason why man manufacturers are switching to carbon is absolutely for weight savings, however in large decreases in weight that you see in super cars due to the use of carbon is largely because they are using carbon (and aramid) composite materials to replace structural members of the cars underlying chassis. the cars that are experienceing the most signifcant reduction in mass are the ones where you are seeing the chassis being built of carbon rather than the heavier thick aluminum and high strength steel traditionally used in these areas of cars.

the most useful aspect of carbon composite materials is not really their low mass alone, it has more to do with their low mass to weight ratio. you can use carbon with a much lower mass and get rigidity similar to aluminum or steel in a much lighter form factor.

even if it's done properly this is why you won't see a terribly dramatic weight savings by replacing most (not all) body panels. for example if you take the factory front fenders off of the z they are very thin aluminum and as a result they are very light and also quite flimsy, you could easily bend them in half with your hands. if you replace this part with carbon you won't see much weight reduction at all however an equal mass carbon replacement part should be more rigid than the oem part.

As for the military, I wish they would have invested some money in making the M240B a little lighter, carbon buttstock and furnature perhalps.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 AM
end of z world

Don't drive in rain? Durka
Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 AM
end of z world

Don't drive in rain? Durka
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aavq85

Thanks,
Just because it doesn,t make noise when it's dry doesn't mean that it's not just a bit loose. I would have whoever tightened it do it some more and be done with it. Don't waste your money on modifying your hood. I'm sure you could find something else to spend your money on.

Trust me, I have had my hood on for about 5 years now, just tighten it up a little.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 PM
nathanwl2004

Makes sense. When the belt and pulley are dry the coefficient of friction between them is relatively high and you wont notice any problems. When the surfaces are wet, the coeficient between them goes down and the same force that was produced in the dry is now capable of exceeding the (now reduced) max static friction force produced between the pulley and belt. Belt friction from a mathematical stand point is quite different than friction over a flat surface as it is actually exponential so a very small difference in the tension can make a large difference in friction.

So if you tighten the belt just a little bit, it will probably go away.

Last edited by nathanwl2004; 08-04-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 AM
jerryd87

a little off topic but on the note of 240B im guessing you havnt seen much of the 240L? we have a couple also they just replaced the butt stocks on em with a super lightweight buttstock, collapsible like our m249's already had but even smaller and lighter now. the 240L now is about 10 lbs lighter then the 240B, also the new buttstock+buffer tube only weighs mayby a .25 lb at most.

sorry on the OT
Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
to be completely honest the reason why man manufacturers are switching to carbon is absolutely for weight savings, however in large decreases in weight that you see in super cars due to the use of carbon is largely because they are using carbon (and aramid) composite materials to replace structural members of the cars underlying chassis. the cars that are experienceing the most signifcant reduction in mass are the ones where you are seeing the chassis being built of carbon rather than the heavier thick aluminum and high strength steel traditionally used in these areas of cars.

the most useful aspect of carbon composite materials is not really their low mass alone, it has more to do with their low mass to weight ratio. you can use carbon with a much lower mass and get rigidity similar to aluminum or steel in a much lighter form factor.

even if it's done properly this is why you won't see a terribly dramatic weight savings by replacing most (not all) body panels. for example if you take the factory front fenders off of the z they are very thin aluminum and as a result they are very light and also quite flimsy, you could easily bend them in half with your hands. if you replace this part with carbon you won't see much weight reduction at all however an equal mass carbon replacement part should be more rigid than the oem part.

As for the military, I wish they would have invested some money in making the M240B a little lighter, carbon buttstock and furnature perhalps.

Last edited by jerryd87; 08-05-2012 at 12:33 AM.