Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Install Complete and dynoed!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:17 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew, just got through reading this entire thread. This kit looks great and I could probably even install the thing myself, but I do have a few questions, if a couple of you guys that have experience with the kit wouldn't mind answering:

1. How does turbo lag compare with TT kits? Is this a good kit for daily drivability on the street?

2. Is it true that the kit omits the cats? What does this do to emissions? I live in Houston, where your car has to pass yearly emissions tests; am I screwed?

3. What is the going street price on this kit and where is the best place to get it?

Thanks; any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:44 AM
SpeedDreamTuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Whew, just got through reading this entire thread. This kit looks great and I could probably even install the thing myself, but I do have a few questions, if a couple of you guys that have experience with the kit wouldn't mind answering:

1. How does turbo lag compare with TT kits? Is this a good kit for daily drivability on the street?

2. Is it true that the kit omits the cats? What does this do to emissions? I live in Houston, where your car has to pass yearly emissions tests; am I screwed?

3. What is the going street price on this kit and where is the best place to get it?

1- Not bad, it spools up pretty early.
2- Yes, but you can custom install high flow cats from a exhaust shop.
3- $ 4,600 - 4,700.... Call me, I'll put you in touch with a level 4 dealer...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
taurran

I'll try to answer these to the best of my knowledge. EDIT: SDT beat me to it.

1. Not much difference in lag. From what we have seen on the few kits installed, the turbonetics kit achieves full boost at around 3200 rpms.

2. Yes, it omits the cats. Yes, you will be screwed when it comes to emissions testing. Turbonetics is supposed to be working on a downpipe with cat(s). We're not sure on when that will happen, but you should be able to buy just the pipe when it is released.

3. I've seen them for $4600-4900.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

i have a set of dc ss headers. can it be used with this kit since it uses the stock headers, and will it make any difference?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Jun
i have a set of dc ss headers. can it be used with this kit since it uses the stock headers, and will it make any difference?
It should work, provided there's enough room for the downpipe that runs in close proximity to them. I already asked MIAPLAYA on the issue, as I own DC headers, and he said he wasn't sure if there was room for both the header and the pipe. I should have the kit installed early next month, and I'll certainly let everyone know if it will fit with the aftermarket headers.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:24 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by SpeedDreamTuner
1- Not bad, it spools up pretty early.
2- Yes, but you can custom install high flow cats from a exhaust shop.
3- $ 4,600 - 4,700.... Call me, I'll put you in touch with a level 4 dealer...

Thanks. At this point, I'm just researching and saving up, but when I'm ready, I'll deffinitely give you a call!

Oh, any particular cats you'd recommend and where would they be installed? It would obviously be further back in the exhaust path...

One more question regarding the BOV: I was reading up on "that other" ST kit's BOV and it's proposed advantages, being a twin vent valve. Anything to this? How does the Raptor BOV compare?

I should probably note that my car is a daily driver and will not be raced or abused, so the latest, greatest, biggest and best isn't an absolute necessity; I'm just looking for good, reliable bang for my buck and optimum drivability.

Taurran: thanks for the additional info. on the cats.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 05-16-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 AM
taurran

I'm not a complete expert, but I don't see how a twin vent valve would display any noticable improvement over a traditional BoV. It seems like it would make it noticably quieter, however.

The Raptor looks/sounds great from everything I've read.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Turbonetics does have a cat version of the kit. They also do have the downpipes with the cats welded on. I was holding one in my hand at Turbonetics this weekend. There are two different part numbers for the kit with no cats and the kit with the cat. The kit with no cat is part number 15134. The kit with the cat is part number 15136. Hope that helps... as for the BOV no having the air re-circ'd is not going to show you any superior performance gains. The Raptor BOV is a very nice quality valve that realy does sound good. I just posted some new videos in which you can hear it from inside and outside the car...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Turbonetics does have a cat version of the kit. They also do have the downpipes with the cats welded on. I was holding one in my hand at Turbonetics this weekend. There are two different part numbers for the kit with no cats and the kit with the cat. The kit with no cat is part number 15134. The kit with the cat is part number 15136. Hope that helps...
That's great news! Price difference in the kits? Any idea what the performance differences are with and without the cats? Meaning: do the cats rob enough noticable power to make it worth getting the straight pipes as well and just swapping them out for the cats when it's time for emissions testing? (the car WILL pass emissions with the turbo kit and the cats, right?)
Old 05-16-2005, 12:20 PM
MustGoFastR

Alright, one more question, then. Given the kit price, what should I expect to pay out the door for the installed kit, gauges (what gauges are needed, BTW?), tuning... everything?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

Not sure about the price difference. I believe its like $50-$100 different... As for performance due to the cat being after the turbo it shouldn't hurt you that much. IIRC you will pass with the cat but don't quote me as I have a straight pipe. As for price I believe Avalon Racing is selling them for like $4700 plus another $800-$1000 for install depending on what else is going to be installed. Gauges will probably run you another $200-800 depending on what type and brand..
Old 05-16-2005, 02:52 PM
MustGoFastR

Great; thanks again for all the info.

I just found out something interesting regarding inspections here in Houston... The last car I had was a '95, therefore OBDI; they ran a sniffer up the tailpipe for OBDI cars to check emissions. Well, I just got my beater car ('00 Mazda) inspected today and all they do on OBDII cars is jack into the port and it basically just looks to see that all the sensors are reporting ok and that it isn't throwing any codes. There is no visual inspection of the motor or underbody at all and no sniffer test, so given that, I may not even need to worry about the cats.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:14 PM
going deep

Originally Posted by Speed Dreams
......Ernie, I'm surprised you would lower youself and be influenced by your buddy Todd to post inaccuate information. You and I have never met, and SDM never worked on your Z.

....I don't want false emotion in my threads, I want to relay information.

SpeedDreams, I will spare you the public humilation by not posting the results of your work I have witnessed on THREE cars that you have "modified".

For the rest of you that REALLY know me, I am never holding punches and I have this tendancy to be BLUNT and HONEST!!!!

I will now leave this thread, good luck with your "project!!!"
Old 05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
SungNamZ

It sure is nice to finally see posts to this thread focused on Speed Dreams efforts with Turbonetics. A lot can be learned and help other members make their decision. Who want to sort through seven (7) pages to find the good? Too many times people start shooting arrows and bashing individuals.

I installed my Vortech SC myself, but I have been dealing with Speed Dreams for the better part of year on tuning and most recently the testing of the Kinetix IM "Prototype". Within the next few days we will be tuning and posting results on the Kinetix SSV Polished IM. I am a VERY satisfied patron, have several friends that are VERY satisfied patrons and would recommend Speed Dreams for ALL their maintenance and tuning needs!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
xxlbeerZ

Great; thanks again for all the info.

I just found out something interesting regarding inspections here in Houston... The last car I had was a '95, therefore OBDI; they ran a sniffer up the tailpipe for OBDI cars to check emissions. Well, I just got my beater car ('00 Mazda) inspected today and all they do on OBDII cars is jack into the port and it basically just looks to see that all the sensors are reporting ok and that it isn't throwing any codes. There is no visual inspection of the motor or underbody at all and no sniffer test, so given that, I may not even need to worry about the cats.
Wonder if I could just keep my my ST kit catless then?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Speed Dreams

Originally Posted by xxlbeerZ
Wonder if I could just keep my my ST kit catless then?
...If you stay catless you will either need 02 simulators or reflash to turn them off. Late 04 Nissan went with a wide band sensor they refer to as an air fuel sensor, it's more sensitive and may pickup more fuel gases and air velosity which will trip your service engine soon display.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:38 AM
taurran

Hey Speed Dreams, are you running the Turbonetics ST with a Kinetix V4 plenum? If so, any issues? I'm planning on using my v4 with the kit. I don't think there will be any problems, just want to make sure.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:22 AM
MustGoFastR

...If you stay catless you will either need 02 simulators or reflash to turn them off. Late 04 Nissan went with a wide band sensor they refer to as an air fuel sensor, it's more sensitive and may pickup more fuel gases and air velosity which will trip your service engine soon display.
How about on '03 cars? How does the catless kit deal with the O2 sensors and avoid tripping the CEL? Does the standard reflash not shut them off or is there something else working here? I'm not too familiar with how our cats/sensors/ECM work/communicate, so the more info. on this I can get prior to making a decision, the better. I just want it to be able to pass the inspection process that I described above.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by taurran
Hey Speed Dreams, are you running the Turbonetics ST with a Kinetix V4 plenum? If so, any issues? I'm planning on using my v4 with the kit. I don't think there will be any problems, just want to make sure.
When I removed my V4 to install the Kinetix "Prototype" IM, Tripp installed my V4 on his roadster with the Turbonetics. He had some problems and went back to OEM. I am sure he will post his problem.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:39 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the T-netics reflash turns off the O2 sensor function? MIA said that the SES light should NOT be on after the install of this kit, so it sounds like it does, but it would be nice to know for sure. I'd hate to have to keep resetting the ECU to turn it off if it's going to keep coming on. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Install Complete and dynoed!!