Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cooling Mist water injection....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, I would love to see some under the car pictures, this is still my biggest concern, what if the lines break...even though a 49/51 water/methanol solutions is supposed to be none flamable I don't completely trust that...

And yes hooking up the LED's looks definetely to be the toughest part, especially since I have no idea where to put them.

You said you hooked the power up to the battery directly, are saying the kit is always on? Or did you install a relay in between that gets hooked up to an ignition source and if so which one?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the best way to hook up a light that lights when it's actually spraying? I don't mean one that comes on when the pump starts, but one that actually detects fluid going through the line? I'm paranoid that something will in the system could fail while I'm going WOT and I'd never know about it.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
yes, I would love to see some under the car pictures, this is still my biggest concern, what if the lines break...even though a 49/51 water/methanol solutions is supposed to be none flamable I don't completely trust that...

And yes hooking up the LED's looks definetely to be the toughest part, especially since I have no idea where to put them.

You said you hooked the power up to the battery directly, are saying the kit is always on? Or did you install a relay in between that gets hooked up to an ignition source and if so which one?
I'm sure he means he hooked it through a relay going to an ignition source.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I'm sure he means he hooked it through a relay going to an ignition source.
I'm sure as well but I want to know which ignition source in the engine bay is best for this purpose
Old 02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very curious how often you would have to fill up these little tanks.

This whole concept is very new to me... is this setup for all-around driving? Like on-all the time?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know the best way to hook up a light that lights when it's actually spraying? I don't mean one that comes on when the pump starts, but one that actually detects fluid going through the line? I'm paranoid that something will in the system could fail while I'm going WOT and I'd never know about it.
SnowPerformance has a SafeInjection Controller (http://snowperformance.net/proddetail.asp?prod=SI%2D10) that monitors the flow of fluid through the system. If this flow goes below a certain level it will trigger a LED and a alarm line. This alarm line can then be used with a solenoid to blow off boost or or it can be fed into an Engine Management System.

Danny
Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by dscheers
SnowPerformance has a SafeInjection Controller (http://snowperformance.net/proddetail.asp?prod=SI%2D10) that monitors the flow of fluid through the system. If this flow goes below a certain level it will trigger a LED and a alarm line. This alarm line can then be used with a solenoid to blow off boost or or it can be fed into an Engine Management System.

Danny
Just what I was looking for, thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:27 AM
MoodDude

I installed a pressure switch on the water spraying and the LED comes on when it is spraying. It will also stay on if the nozzle is clogged after the pump goes off. You install the pressure switch after the Check/Solenoid valve(s). I got mine from cooling mist, but I bet you can find one from McMaster Carr.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:29 AM
MoodDude

I'm sure as well but I want to know which ignition source in the engine bay is best for this purpose
I have a relay on my set up.
I wired it to the ignition w/ a on/off switch.
And used a primary wire directly to the battery w/ a fuse.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I'm very curious how often you would have to fill up these little tanks.

This whole concept is very new to me... is this setup for all-around driving? Like on-all the time?
Fill up depends on several things:
Tank capacity, what system you are using, when you are spraying, and how you drive.

The spray should only come on when you are boosting. You set the spray to whatever boost level you want. I set mine for stage 1 to come on at 4-6 psi and stage 2 to come on at 8-9 psi. Stage 1 flows at 1 gallon/hr and stage 2 about 5 gallon/hr, so you can see the amount of methanol/water will depend on how I am driving.
I have a on/off switch to use it when I want it. I use it to increase the boost safely on my car. When it is off, I decrease the boost.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by dscheers

Danny
This is a flow switch, not a flow meter so it will not monitor the flow of fluid through the system. Just trigger when it is below the set point. Don't know which is better though - pressure or flow since both will give you the info you are looking for.

Although would like to learn more about the trigger for the solenoid to blow off boost. The web site doesn't help much. Dscheers do you have this set up? How does it control the solenoid on the wastegate?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 AM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoodDude
This is a flow switch, not a flow meter so it will not monitor the flow of fluid through the system. Just trigger when it is below the set point. Don't know which is better though - pressure or flow since both will give you the info you are looking for.

Although would like to learn more about the trigger for the solenoid to blow off boost. The web site doesn't help much. Dscheers do you have this set up? How does it control the solenoid on the wastegate?
I'm going to...

the fault trigger will go to a high state of 12 volts. In addition to the supplied red LED, this trigger can be used to signal the following:
3. a solenoid such that boost is reduced in a wastegated turbo set-up. ( $39.95 list. See below.)
4. a solenoid to evacuate boost on a supercharged set-up.
The trigger signal can deliver up to 1.5 amps to drive a solenoid or relay.
As far as I understand it...(and in my SC setup) you run a line from vacuum to the BOV with the solenoid on the line. When the flow is too low, the controller would open (close?) the solenoid and this would in his turn open the BOV, evacuating the boost (much like when you release throttle ?)

Matt Snow at Snowperformance.net explains it a lot better then I do here, so you might want to give him a call/shoot him an email.

Danny
Old 02-22-2006, 06:54 AM
MoodDude

Thanks - I will.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
MoodDude

If you are concerned about flamablity, you can dilute it with more water, or run just water. Just don't try to run just water in freezing conditions and the 50/50 mixture is suppose to be the best from all the research artiles I have read.

I installed the LED lights in front of the stick shift and below the cabin controls. Easiest place I could think of that I would still see out of the corner of my eye. My only complaint is that it is way to bright at night. Anyone know how I can darken a LED light and still look good and still see during daylight? I will try to take pictures of LED's to if you want.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try a voltage divider with a couple of resistors, or you can simply put a 5K ohm potentieometer in series with the LED and dial in the level you like.

It might cost around 2-3 dollars.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:36 PM
mrtomcat

I played around with mounting locations today since I want to keep my spare tire I can't put the pump and tanks to where MoodDude put his and I don't feel good about having the pump underneath the car.

I removed the styrofoam stuff on the left side in the trunk and there's plenty of space for the pump. Now the 2 qrt Water reservoir is still a nightmare. It's either too big or too small. Best on my measuerments The 7Qrt tank from Snow Performance should fit perfectly though. I am also checking against the 1 gallon tank from Coolingmist...things are looking up a bit and hopefully I finally find some time to do my install.
Of course the water line is not long enough and the longer one I ordered is the same length (8 feet...it was supposed to be 10) I am going to order some longer line on Monday and hopefully next weekend will get this done.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
MoodDude

I played around with mounting locations today since I want to keep my spare tire I can't put the pump and tanks to where MoodDude put his and I don't feel good about having the pump underneath the car.

I removed the styrofoam stuff on the left side in the trunk and there's plenty of space for the pump. Now the 2 qrt Water reservoir is still a nightmare. It's either too big or too small. Best on my measuerments The 7Qrt tank from Snow Performance should fit perfectly though. I am also checking against the 1 gallon tank from Coolingmist...things are looking up a bit and hopefully I finally find some time to do my install.
Of course the water line is not long enough and the longer one I ordered is the same length (8 feet...it was supposed to be 10) I am going to order some longer line on Monday and hopefully next weekend will get this done.
Let us see some pic when you got it mounted. I was considering doing the same thing, yet since my spare tires won't fit anymore (brakes), I don't need it, so I wanted the weight centered on the car. I took some pic's of the routing of the hose and the LED lights, yet with two days of autoX and work - haven't had time to download them.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
MoodDude

Here are more pictures of my install:

Hose and wire ran under car:

On/Off switch for Methanol system:

LED lights: 3 green on left (power on, stage 1 on, and stage 2 on), 3 red on right (tank low level, stage 1 clog nozzle, and stage 2 clog nozzle):

Hope these help with your install
Old 02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
mrtomcat

cool, thanks

I took some pictures on sat having the pump temporarely in place but they didn't come out right...too dark. I'll take some more in the light
Old 03-26-2006, 03:42 PM
trefling

Just got my kit installed and here is what came with it:

Variabe boost controller:You set the min. psi you want it to come on and the max psi where the pump maxes out.

Pump: look just like the ones we use for booster pumps on water filtration systems

Plastic hose: looks cheap but pretty tuff, just keep it away from really hot surfaces.

Check valves, cloged warning light/system.

I must say that www.coolingmist.com customer service is very friendly and informative. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out. I have not had a chance to really test it out because I'm waiting for a retune with some modifications.

Quick Reply: Cooling Mist water injection....