Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 PM
DBZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs

These are the dyno runs that I had from my TN install last week. I am now waiting for the UTEC to finish my install. This is a warning for people who install there own kit. You must have a widewand or put it on a dyno before you drive hard on it. I have a 2003 with a APS Plenum, JIC exhaust, and the TN turbo kit that is it. We even took the APS plenum off to see if that was the problem and it was the same.
Attached Thumbnails My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs-leandyno1.jpg   My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs-leandyno2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

couldn't get the unichip to work, or are you choosing to wait for the utec?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 PM
nissansource

3rd person gosh dangit guess ill put an order for a Utec now.. ugh! but then again it could be the plenum. did you reset the ECM and drive around?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by Zivman
couldn't get the unichip to work, or are you choosing to wait for the utec?
The Unichip was more money than the UTEC, and I was talking to GRD about going with the UTEC anyway. The unichip helped but I need some kind of return fuel system and a regulator to fix my fuel problems. I always store my car for winter anyway so waiting a few more weeks for the UTEC will not kill me.

We are going to shoot for 400 - 430 RWHP with the UTEC and the fuel system. I hope everything will work out smooth.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by nissansource
3rd person gosh dangit guess ill put an order for a Utec now.. ugh! but then again it could be the plenum. did you reset the ECM and drive around?
We took the plenum off and went back to stock and it was the same. I don't know if they reset the ECU but the power was off for over 24hrs. The ecu should reset after power loss over 24hrs.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:25 PM
nissansource

usually takes 5 min or less to be safe so darn your ecm was reset

Give reggie a call or support over at TN show them your AF graph dyno
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
taurran

12.3:1 afr is as lean as you're going, which isn't too bad compared to some of the other FI dynos I've seen out there. Was the car detonating on the dyno?

You hit 395+whp on one of those runs, not bad numbers at all for the stock kit with the reflash. How high of boost were you hitting? Is the big exhaust causing you to boost higher and max out the 380cc injectors?

Last edited by taurran; 11-30-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
DBZ33

usually takes 5 min or less to be safe so darn your ecm was reset

Give reggie a call or support over at TN show them your AF graph dyno

Tuan from GRD called TN and faxed them the dynos. They said to take off the plenum and the exhaust and I will be fine. We took off the plenum and ran it again but still was running lean. They then told him that I will be fine with that A/F and to leave it because they can't fix the lean condition only if it was rich they can make it leaner.

He told them that if the motor blew it was on him not them because he was the installer. So I told him to forget about the TN flash and there stupid fuel modification. I will buy the UTEC and a fuel return and have him tune it. I am very unhappy with the TN flash. I would have purchased the tuner kit and saved money from the beginning. Oh well.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM
nissansource

just FYI a Good majority of the ECU cannot be hacked by TS,TN, AAM only partial areas they are VERY LIMITED thats why a UTEC might be a sweet taste in our FI mouths. AEM also =)
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by taurran
12.3:1 afr is as lean as you're going, which isn't too bad compared to some of the other FI dynos I've seen out there. Was the car detonating on the dyno?

You hit 395+whp on one of those runs, not bad numbers at all for the stock kit with the reflash. How high of boost were you hitting? Is the big exhaust causing you to boost higher and max out the 380cc injectors?
The boost was at 8 - 8.5 psi on the dyno runs. The injectors are not maxed out at all. For some reason and I don't know why it is just running lean. They checked everything on my car. The exhaust is a JIC with dual tips. It's a 3" exhaust.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
nissansource

one thing to try is another Wideband..... do you hear it ping?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
DBZ33

one thing to try is another Wideband..... do you hear it ping?
I am not driving it. It is in my garage until the UTEC is available. Tuan said that when it was going lean that the ECU was pulling back timing. So I guess yes. I don't know. There are so many things I am hearing about my car. I almost wish I never turbo charged it. It went from $6000 to almost $9000 now after I will be done with the UTEC and the fuel system. I never planed on spending this much money on this kit.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:45 PM
nissansource

Sorry to hear that.. Just hope all goes well with mine.. i gotta boltup the two pasanger side intercooler pipes and im done just too lazy to go do it i got other cars to drive that are alot more fun
Old 11-30-2005, 08:50 PM
DBZ33

Sorry to hear that.. Just hope all goes well with mine.. i gotta boltup the two pasanger side intercooler pipes and im done just too lazy to go do it i got other cars to drive that are alot more fun

I hope your install goes well. Just take it to a dyno after to check it. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:50 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by DBZ33
I am not driving it. It is in my garage until the UTEC is available. Tuan said that when it was going lean that the ECU was pulling back timing. So I guess yes. I don't know. There are so many things I am hearing about my car. I almost wish I never turbo charged it. It went from $6000 to almost $9000 now after I will be done with the UTEC and the fuel system. I never planed on spending this much money on this kit.
Well after seeing the circumstances this car would have hit the dyno under, I can see why it would be running slightly lean.

1) Free flowing exhaust
2) high volume intake plenum
3) Freezing tempuratures in Chicago
4) No electronic or manual boost control

edit: just saw you posted while I was typing. dunno then
Old 11-30-2005, 08:51 PM
DBZ33

Well after seeing the circumstances this car would have hit the dyno under, I can see why it would be running lean.

1) Free flowing exhaust
2) high volume intake plenum
3) Freezing tempuratures in Chicago
4) No electronic or manual boost control

With all of these variables, I think its a given that it's going to run slightly lean. Now, what is the max boost the car was hitting on the dyno?
We put the stock plenum back on and it still was lean. The boost was at 8 - 8.5 psi.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:53 PM
nissansource

I hope your install goes well. Just take it to a dyno after to check it. Good Luck.

Yah well see... i got widebands i can put on this baby.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
taurran

We put the stock plenum back on and it still was lean. The boost was at 8 - 8.5 psi.
What's the size of the piping on your JIC exhaust? Theoretically you should be hitting higher boost unless it flows like stock or is restrictive.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:51 PM
DBZ33

What's the size of the piping on your JIC exhaust? Theoretically you should be hitting higher boost unless it flows like stock or is restrictive.
In the link below it says 80mm piping. Tuan said that the boost was at 8 - 9 psi. The runs were no higher than that. He told me 8 - 8.5 psi.

http://www.hopupracing.com/jicbuspdetyc1.html
Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 PM
DBZ33

Here are a few pictures of the motor and the exhaust. Sorry about the bad pic of the exhaust. The garage had bad lighting.
Attached Thumbnails My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs-dsc00464-copy.jpg   My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs-dsc00448.jpg  

Quick Reply: My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs