Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Sucks, Part 20

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.... I am wondering what I have to look forward to with the Vortech kit now... How bad is the idle noise? anyone have a sound clip?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should give my car a listen at idle in person, it isn't really an issue to me anymore
Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Triji

I wish I woulda listened to it at DynoComp the other day... I would like to hear it, maybe next weekend we can get together... I got a busy week coming up...
Old 06-04-2006, 01:52 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah, I think Jon was wanting to corner you into getting the APS and we all got sidetracked with that. I can't fault the APS kit cause it's a nice kit and would have been a much simpler process than all the crap I've done to go along with my vortech, but I'm still really happy with my vortech
Old 06-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah, I think Jon was wanting to corner you into getting the APS and we all got sidetracked with that. I can't fault the APS kit cause it's a nice kit and would have been a much simpler process than all the crap I've done to go along with my vortech, but I'm still really happy with my vortech
Yeah, that APS is frickn sweet... I think it is more than I need though as far as power... The Vortech hitting about 400whp will be good.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Triji, my Vortech makes the noise, but it is not all that bad. In my opinion, the Vortech is one of the loudest F/I kits other than maybe the Procharger. Plus, you already have the HKS exhaust which, from my recollection, is very loud in itself!

As far as I am concerned, I don't care a whole lot if my car is louder if I get the desired results. However, I dont want it to sound like a ricer Civic.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

For what's its worth, the Vortech, and the ATI make various levels of rattle and noise at idle. It has never been something that has bothered me, rather, its' just the character of running a cent SC.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:32 PM
sentry65
the burninator

an issue I have with turbos - IMO - is that despite their huge power and how well they work on the Z, I can't help but not like the fact that the engine sound gets quieter, and you hear the turbo a lot. I know it can be more than fixed with test pipes and a loud exhaust though

For instance if anyone watches the SPEED channel - I've seen a few episodes of PINKS where there was a turbo civic and you could barely hear the engine and mostly heard the whistle from the turbo when it'd rev the engine or getting ready to launch.

or that commercial for the STS turbo for the C5 corvette vs the viper. IMO the viper sounded meaner in comparison to the quieter C5 with the whistle.

I know that's probably not a popular opinion on this forum, so sorry if that bothers anyone. I still think turbos are pretty bad *** though. The greddy TT kit is by far my favorite sounding turbo kit for the Z

I totally accept any weird idle noises the vortech makes which can be worse at times and not even noticable at others

Last edited by sentry65; 06-04-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hmmm....when I listen to turbo Z's pull away at WOT, all I hear is engine, and induction noise. I dont hear the usual nasty large turbo spool up sounds, ala Supra, or Honda. With Hondas, some of those turbos are larger than their engines....ok...that was a joke...but you get my point.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I agree the Z doesn't do that so much cause the turbos are usually pretty small and the VQ makes a fair amount of noise with an opened exhaust.

A lot of the cars in the Best Motoring videos are mostly turbo sounds with a little exhaust in the background, but yeah I guess those are usually I4 engines
Old 06-05-2006, 09:33 AM
buffmanjeff

Well i didn't want to start a new thread because i am having this same issue however i'm not getting answers, please keep the discussion of turbos versus superchargers out of it.

Here was my post yesterday:

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=179

Does anybody have a solution to this rather than what i've heard about raising the idle? Its still there, however lessoned at 1000 rpm. I really want to avoid raising the idle. Suggestions please.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by buffmanjeff
Well i didn't want to start a new thread because i am having this same issue however i'm not getting answers, please keep the discussion of turbos versus superchargers out of it.

Here was my post yesterday:

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=179

Does anybody have a solution to this rather than what i've heard about raising the idle? Its still there, however lessoned at 1000 rpm. I really want to avoid raising the idle. Suggestions please.
The sound is part of having this kit. The original poster had a problem and contacted Vortech and I believe they said repeatedly that there was no problem with the blower. Yes, some are noisier than others, but its part of the game of F/I. If you dont want to raise the idle, then it sounds like you are going to have to either deal with the noise or sell the kit! It sounds like you possibly should have done a little more research before you made your decision to go with the Vortech system.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:55 PM
sentry65
the burninator

personally I love the raised idle. It's the best thing you can do to make driving a lighter flywheel/pulley easier to drive with - and if you have cams you'll have to raise it up at least a little anyway

IMO the only downside I can see is it'll cost you an extra 50 cents a month in gas and will probalby reduce the engine life by say .1-.2 %

Last edited by sentry65; 06-05-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:38 PM
buffmanjeff

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
The sound is part of having this kit. The original poster had a problem and contacted Vortech and I believe they said repeatedly that there was no problem with the blower. Yes, some are noisier than others, but its part of the game of F/I. If you dont want to raise the idle, then it sounds like you are going to have to either deal with the noise or sell the kit! It sounds like you possibly should have done a little more research before you made your decision to go with the Vortech system.
I dont think you can say whether i researched this system enough or not. Yes i did do my research and in comparision with the stillen, hks, and other superchargers out there, this was the best bang for the buck. When u research a kit, how can u expect to find noise as an issue. It did come across, but only on a few units. These factors can be weighed out as maybe some units had faults, others did not. If you research, you will find there are plenty of videos and people that have run the vortech and do not have any to little "knocking" noise at all. In fact, my brothers good friend has a vortech on his G, and it does not sound like this, only whine.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:42 PM
zachcrosen

I have knock in mine. As I said earlier, the original poster talked to Vortech about this and I think he may have even sent it in for them to inspect and they said it was normal. All I am saying is that some units have this and some dont. Its part of it!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Cannysage

shiat, I just read this entire thread. I guess parts failing isn't preventable. Customer service needs to step up and take care it sometimes. There's nothing more dreadful than purchasing a faulty item and going through a huuuge ordeal. That's something that a vendor will never understand, since they have to worry about 50 other customers. I was about 90% on going with vortech, but I can't help from having 2nd thoughts about it now. It's not always solely about a product, but customer service and warranty as well.

Last edited by Cannysage; 06-05-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
New2350

Bump
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM
New2350

Got a sound clip or video buffman? Now I am scared to order one.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 AM
buffmanjeff

Originally Posted by New2350
Got a sound clip or video buffman? Now I am scared to order one.
I am not trying to scare anybody or push anybody away from the vortech but i would like a solution and other people to chime in about their experience and what they had to do to fix it. I dont think the "raising the idle" seriously works, i've tried to give it gas up to 1100 rpm and keep it steady, and its still there. Just stay tuned, i'm going to be calling steve from vortech ( forced on the forum ) soon, i'm just really busy at work right now. If you want sound clips, just PM me.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 AM
sentry65
the burninator

hehe every time I see this thread pop up to the front of the forum I think to myself "oh I guess my vortech must be sucking hard yet again"

Quick Reply: Vortech Sucks, Part 20