Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Beware Of Turbonetics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:39 PM
BlackStevo8
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware Of Turbonetics

THIS WAS POSTED BY MY CUSTOMER ON G35DRIVER.COM HE HAS A 2003 350Z. I JUST THOUGHT IT SHOULD ALSO BE POSTED ON HERE AS ME AND HIM ARE BOTH EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED WITH TURBONETICS AND THE PERSON WHO HANDLES THERE NISSAN TURBO KIT CUSTOMER SERVICE (REGGIE)

i recently bought a turbonetics turbo kit. In september to be exact. I was told not to buy the kit by several people as it was known to be manufactured poorly. I liked the setup of the kit though so went ahead and bought it anyway for $4600.00. Of course i had to buy several other things as well for the kit that you dont need but should have like a boost gauge for one and a 45 degree bend for the oil return as the straight one they give you barely clears the exhaust. When the kit came in to the loacal shop i ordered it from, i obviously went through the parts and checked them against the parts list that comes with the kit. The kit was missing 2 intercooler pipes!! :headshake: off all things there are only like 5 how do you miss 2!?! and it was missing 3 couplings 6 clamps and a small bag of hardware. i mean at least i got the turbo. so then i call turbonetics and they tell me to call my shop so i do that and they start asking for pictures and stuff like i stole these couplings and pipes. if i was gonna get something for free i would have went for the bov or something i could sell. I get all my stuff finally and then i opt to have a shop install the kit instead of myself so if anything goes wrong well its on them not me. the shop guy calls me and tells me to come down apparently the kit doesnt fit well in some spots and a bolt they say is on the bottom of the ac pump isnt there. so i go down and yes on their picture in their book their is a bolt that isnt on my car, why? i dont know and niether do they. of course turbonetics wants pictures as always. now the kit after some modifications is on my car all is well for about 1500 miles then my wastegate recirculating tube breaks away from the flange at the flex section. i take it to the shop he rigs it on and says "get a new one its not safe to drive like this." I call my loacal shop and they call turbonetics and guess what?? "WE NEED PICTURES" so i get the damn picks and after about a week and a half i get my piece. of course little do i know it will break again in the same spot in 2200 miles. this time i have a performance shop make me a new one that is right and hey with 7500 miles and counting its still there. so the other problem with the kit is that the damn v band clamps are made like ****!! they leak, i tighten, they leak, i tighten, they break. so i have had 3 break so far usually the "V" seperates from the actual clamp and jiggles aroud while it leaks. so now i want a new clamp for the one that cant be fixed and are you ready for this...........turbonetics WONT give me a clamp! a clamp!! A CLAMP! 5000 dollar kit i cant get a clamp? ill send them the old one i dont care. They probably would rather PICTURES!!!! anyway if you are thinking of buying this kit just be ready to pay a little extra for the install and custom recirculating pipe and the extra v-band clamps and def. def. dont expect help from the motherland CAUSE IT AINT COMING WITHOUT PICTURES> :rolf2: sincerely, an unhappy consumer

FEW THINGS I'D LIKE TO CLARIFY ALSO:

Again, he has a 2003 350z
He spoke to Reggie prior to posting this thread

All in all, the kit had the following problems:

Didnt fit right
clamps fell apart

exhaust piping (SS my a*s) is rusting (O yea, Reggie says this is beacuse of where we live, but I have TopSpeed test pipes and they've been on 3 cars, no rusting??? i've also had an evo and tsi awd in the same geographical area with SS exhausts and they never rusted???)
Recirculation tube for wastegate broke twice
The kit was missing parts (intercooler pipe and conectors)
The reflash it came with put the car at a 12.5:1 ratio on 93 octane (thast real safe)

Hopefully Paul (leakyZ) will post up on here the other things, cuz they were a few other problems.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this for real?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF. Sorry you had a bad experience with TN I had a great one. I had a few incorerct clamps and missing a tap, but when I contacted Reggie he WITHOUT QUESTION overnighted the parts. I know many others have had simialr experiences. As far as stuff not fitting corerctly, thats weird, could be bad install-whch would explain why yoru pipes cracked if they werent mounted corrctly....
Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
THIS WAS POSTED BY MY CUSTOMER ON G35DRIVER.COM HE HAS A 2003 350Z. I JUST THOUGHT IT SHOULD ALSO BE POSTED ON HERE AS ME AND HIM ARE BOTH EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED WITH TURBONETICS AND THE PERSON WHO HANDLES THERE NISSAN TURBO KIT CUSTOMER SERVICE (REGGIE)

i recently bought a turbonetics turbo kit. In september to be exact. I was told not to buy the kit by several people as it was known to be manufactured poorly. I liked the setup of the kit though so went ahead and bought it anyway for $4600.00. Of course i had to buy several other things as well for the kit that you dont need but should have like a boost gauge for one and a 45 degree bend for the oil return as the straight one they give you barely clears the exhaust. When the kit came in to the loacal shop i ordered it from, i obviously went through the parts and checked them against the parts list that comes with the kit. The kit was missing 2 intercooler pipes!! :headshake: off all things there are only like 5 how do you miss 2!?! and it was missing 3 couplings 6 clamps and a small bag of hardware. i mean at least i got the turbo. so then i call turbonetics and they tell me to call my shop so i do that and they start asking for pictures and stuff like i stole these couplings and pipes. if i was gonna get something for free i would have went for the bov or something i could sell. I get all my stuff finally and then i opt to have a shop install the kit instead of myself so if anything goes wrong well its on them not me. the shop guy calls me and tells me to come down apparently the kit doesnt fit well in some spots and a bolt they say is on the bottom of the ac pump isnt there. so i go down and yes on their picture in their book their is a bolt that isnt on my car, why? i dont know and niether do they. of course turbonetics wants pictures as always. now the kit after some modifications is on my car all is well for about 1500 miles then my wastegate recirculating tube breaks away from the flange at the flex section. i take it to the shop he rigs it on and says "get a new one its not safe to drive like this." I call my loacal shop and they call turbonetics and guess what?? "WE NEED PICTURES" so i get the damn picks and after about a week and a half i get my piece. of course little do i know it will break again in the same spot in 2200 miles. this time i have a performance shop make me a new one that is right and hey with 7500 miles and counting its still there. so the other problem with the kit is that the damn v band clamps are made like ****!! they leak, i tighten, they leak, i tighten, they break. so i have had 3 break so far usually the "V" seperates from the actual clamp and jiggles aroud while it leaks. so now i want a new clamp for the one that cant be fixed and are you ready for this...........turbonetics WONT give me a clamp! a clamp!! A CLAMP! 5000 dollar kit i cant get a clamp? ill send them the old one i dont care. They probably would rather PICTURES!!!! anyway if you are thinking of buying this kit just be ready to pay a little extra for the install and custom recirculating pipe and the extra v-band clamps and def. def. dont expect help from the motherland CAUSE IT AINT COMING WITHOUT PICTURES> :rolf2: sincerely, an unhappy consumer

FEW THINGS I'D LIKE TO CLARIFY ALSO:

Again, he has a 2003 350z
He spoke to Reggie prior to posting this thread

All in all, the kit had the following problems:

Didnt fit right
clamps fell apart

exhaust piping (SS my a*s) is rusting (O yea, Reggie says this is beacuse of where we live, but I have TopSpeed test pipes and they've been on 3 cars, no rusting??? i've also had an evo and tsi awd in the same geographical area with SS exhausts and they never rusted???)
Recirculation tube for wastegate broke twice
The kit was missing parts (intercooler pipe and conectors)
The reflash it came with put the car at a 12.5:1 ratio on 93 octane (thast real safe)

Hopefully Paul (leakyZ) will post up on here the other things, cuz they were a few other problems.

Sounds a lot like YOU are the problem here. With over 50+ owners here and none of them experiencing fitment issues even non-shops and members that installed it THEMSELVES you aren't saying much about your ability as a shop. Furthermore as I stated on the other board who exactly said anything about pictures. I talked to Reggie this weekend about exactly this post. He's never even heard of you. Its too bad your customer had to experience your incompetence first hand. I'll let the 50+ other Turbonetics owners here speak to their own fitment on the kit and those who have worked with REggie I'm sure will be happy to post about their experience with him which 100% contradicts your waste of bandwith that is a post.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:49 PM
zman1910

WOW....whats the deal with the pictures? Is this the same company that gave another guy all new piping bc he wrecked his car and it was covered under their 1 year policy...

Somehow I suspect there was more to this story on your friends or shops behalf
Old 03-19-2006, 04:50 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
WTF. Sorry you had a bad experience with TN I had a great one. I had a few incorerct clamps and missing a tap, but when I contacted Reggie he WITHOUT QUESTION overnighted the parts. I know many others have had simialr experiences. As far as stuff not fitting corerctly, thats weird, could be bad install-whch would explain why yoru pipes cracked if they werent mounted corrctly....
BINGO!! All the engineering in the world can't fix a mechanic who can't follow instructions.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:51 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a very hard time believing this situtation, check with your shop first, Reggie along with Turbonetics have the best customer serivce out of any company out there. They treat there customers with the up most respect and dignity. I believe this is with your shop and not Turbonetics. They have helped with with numerous things free of charge. Please clarify some more because I strongly believe this is a false case.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard many things about FI kits and how they have numerous problems but this is one of the VERY few regarding the Turbonetics kit.

Last edited by Ed 718; 03-19-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

My experience with Turbonetics: I was missing a tap and the BOV horn. Both were sent immediately no questions asked.
They (actually Reggie) also sent me the WG relocation kit as soon as it was ready and the new DP overnight without question.
Those clamps are overkill imo...can't see how you broke it but heck I'm sure you can find clamps around. You are also the first person I have heard of that broke the WG recirc, and not once but TWICE. Makes me wonder what you are doing to it to break it.

In any case, sorry that your experience was not a good one but it does sound unique.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:14 PM
taurran

Thanks for your concern! You definitely have fulfilled your civic duty to the 350z community!

I hope that Reggie is able to get your parts sent out asap so you can get back on the road.

okay, I was joking....

Last edited by taurran; 03-19-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Jason333
hi

TN has given me great support so far. I don't even deal with Reggie and get great support (not saying anything bad on reggie, just that im sure he stays busy enough and don't feel the need to bother the guy). They next day aired/sat delivered me a fuel pump w/o a picture. I'm not 100% sure, but i think the guy brought it to UPS himself. As far as fitment, my installer said this to me when i went to get my car "this is one of the most well thought out kits i have put on", and he has never touched a TN kit or 350z turbo kit for that matter (all Hondas and 240's). I'm not saying what you are saying isn't true, but it's very very far from my relationship with TN and the kit i have.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:18 PM
BlackStevo8
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Sounds a lot like YOU are the problem here. With over 50+ owners here and none of them experiencing fitment issues even non-shops and members that installed it THEMSELVES you aren't saying much about your ability as a shop. Furthermore as I stated on the other board who exactly said anything about pictures. I talked to Reggie this weekend about exactly this post. He's never even heard of you. Its too bad your customer had to experience your incompetence first hand. I'll let the 50+ other Turbonetics owners here speak to their own fitment on the kit and those who have worked with REggie I'm sure will be happy to post about their experience with him which 100% contradicts your waste of bandwith that is a post.

OK since your gonna post the same exact thing on numerous forums, I guess i'll post the same reply so you see it sooner, I'm not the shop who installed it, I just sold it to him. and Reggie damn sure knows who I am, he ovenighted me the pipe and connectors that were missing from the kit when it first got here. When the recir tube from the wastegate broke off he needed pics to confirm, then he overnighted it. Now I have these POS clamps and they are falling apart and he said "Buy new ones from your TN distributor"
Old 03-19-2006, 05:21 PM
taurran

OK since your gonna post the same exact thing on numerous forums, I guess i'll post the same reply so you see it sooner, I'm not the shop who installed it, I just sold it to him. and Reggie damn sure knows who I am, he ovenighted me the pipe and connectors that were missing from the kit when it first got here. When the recir tube from the wastegate broke off he needed pics to confirm, then he overnighted it. Now I have these POS clamps and they are falling apart and he said "Buy new ones from your TN distributor"
That's what happens when you misalign all the piping. V-band clamps break.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

We'll see what Reggie has to say about this. I'm calling him right now... it is funny that YOU didn't do the install but are SURE its the kit that is the problem not the alignment of the piping.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 PM
BlackStevo8
Banned

O yea, and the exhaust piping that is rusting??? yea thats real nice

Reggie tells me WORD FOR WORD "Yea well you guys have alot of salt out there in NY" Since when does SS piping rust???
Old 03-19-2006, 05:26 PM
MIAPLAYA

O yea, and the exhaust piping that is rusting??? yea thats real nice

Reggie tells me WORD FOR WORD "Yea well you guys have alot of salt out there in NY" Since when does SS piping rust???
Actually it happens its called surface rust. It doesn't actually rust internally but SS CAN rust on the surface. Considering the STOCK headers are made of SS409 (Thats Stainless steel) why would they rust? The answer is they dont rust internally like sheet metal or mild steel. But SS can have surface rust. ESPECIALLY in areas where there is a lot of salt on the roads.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

I just talked Reggie and apparentely you told him YOU installed the kit. Sounds like you aren't very good at aligning pipes. Maybe you want to get your facts straight,...
Old 03-19-2006, 05:34 PM
BlackStevo8
Banned

I just talked Reggie and apparentely you told him YOU installed the kit. Sounds like you aren't very good at aligning pipes. Maybe you want to get your facts straight,...
Hmmmm No I didnt, he's definitely confused. The person who installed his kit is a qualified mechanic and the kit was installed properly. I DID NOT install it. Wait til the guy who owns the car registers on this site and posts up.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:35 PM
BlackStevo8
Banned

Actually it happens its called surface rust. It doesn't actually rust internally but SS CAN rust on the surface. Considering the STOCK headers are made of SS409 (Thats Stainless steel) why would they rust? The answer is they dont rust internally like sheet metal or mild steel. But SS can have surface rust. ESPECIALLY in areas where there is a lot of salt on the roads.

Dude, I've had and I sell SS exhausts every single day made by Apexi, greddy, thermal research and they do not rust like these pipes are rusting.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

Hmmmm No I didnt, he's definitely confused. The person who installed his kit is a qualified mechanic and the kit was installed properly. I DID NOT install it. Wait til the guy who owns the car registers on this site and posts up.
ANY kit will break clamps if the pipes are not aligned properly. Lets ask the other 50 guys here how many clamps they have broken... Um none. Looks like your "qualified" mechanic needs a little more "qualification" in aligning pipes.

Quick Reply: Beware Of Turbonetics