Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Special $10,000.00 Turbonetics kit?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AAM can you address the timing issue on Brent's car? You mentioned what you had set the timing to was not agressive, but I think most reading this thread even though we are not tuners dissagree.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
He was your number one customer. Now he's at another shop. What does this tell us? Oh, and how is Ryan's built motor coming along? Hmmm...did his motor blow or is he just building for the hell of it?

Well Mike, I can only hope for you and your companies sake that you are being sincere and that you are as committed as you let on here on the forums.
Since we're talking about it:

1. Motor popped
2. Mike's taking care of me
3. It's going to be sick when it's done, so hopefully it'll quiet some of the bs online

Brent's situation is Brent's situation. It's f'ked up what happens sometimes, but I've said it in previous posts - we're all learning on these platforms. Mistakes are made. Some mistakes are more expensive than others. The big question is how we individually handle it, and how the companies we chose to do business with handle it - this is what makes or breaks businesses. Mike knows this, and I'm sure that he and Brent will work it out. If they don't, I'm sure we'll all read about it on this forum...

Bottom line is that if you're not ready to pour your heart, soul, and wallet into your car, then leave it stock. The further you take it, the more likely you're going to fall into problems. Simple as that. We're all addicts to pushing limits, so we all accept the responsibility for that.

If at any point you feel uncomfortable about doing business with someone - walk away. If you decide to stay, well sorry to say it, but anthing after that point is your fault...

So to make it easy for everyone - if you don't like AAM, don't go there. A lot of the guys that had work done there have had good experiences. Some haven't. But that's just the nature of any business.

AS ALWAYS - just my

-Ryan

Last edited by TENGAI; 10-10-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by Gman2004
AAM can you address the timing issue on Brent's car? You mentioned what you had set the timing to was not agressive, but I think most reading this thread even though we are not tuners dissagree.
Not a problem -- if anything this writeup may help some people better undertand how timing is setup.

Different tuners have different setups for different vehicles and customers. It should also be noted that different fuel/timing systems run different (even though they are on the same vehicle platform).

This is how the timing was set in this particular application:

I started with the base timing map from the old setup (which worked great for several months) -3 deg. I slowly increased the timing in 1 degree increments doing two things:

1. Listening to the engine with the HKS Knock-Amp tool on my headphones
2. Keeping an eye on the air-fuel

After a pull the torqe curve was looked at. Because the engine sounded great (no knock whatsoever) a degree of timing was added.

This processed continued until the slightest bit of knock was present which also was where the engine did not gain any more torque. I think it is valid to mention (for those that do their own tuning and have heard their engine knock) that with the Knock-Amp and headphones you can easily hear knock a good 2deg timing worth before you would hear it externally / by naked ear.

At this point we are done making timing pulls and the timing is decreased back between 1 to 2 degrees (this is the optimum timing for this engine and octane).

After the dyno session the customer and I took the car out on the street for a street tuning / check up session. This is where we apply street loads to the vehicle and double check the tune. Here I fine tuned the setup and was pleased to note that I did not hear any knock through the headphones even under extreme high-gear load.

This is how we set the timing. I think it is also valid to note that I spoke with Sharif and he noted that there was no sign of detonation on the pistons or cylinder walls.

Hope this helps,
Old 10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

maybe you guys should pm failsafe and ask him and call off the witch hunt as to how it became permanent
Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
SpeedDesign

Originally Posted by Alberto
Are you asking me if Im being asked/payed to post my thoughts?
Not at all sir. I meant are someone's pockets being lined to edit the thread title.
You're ok in my book Bert. Sorry if you thought I was taking a shot at you dude.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:37 PM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by S1AMEZE

Bottom line is that if you're not ready to pour your heart, soul, and wallet into your car, then leave it stock. The further you take it, the more likely you're going to fall into problems. Simple as that. We're all addicts to pushing limits, so we all accept the responsibility for that.
Ryan, I always appreciate your input. My point is that there are ways accomplish goals without unneccessary or duplicate costs. I won't go into specifics, but I've spent more than enough money with Mike. He knows it.

If you decide to stay, well sorry to say it, but anthing after that point is your fault...
I hope that your "staying" doesn't cost you considerably more than it should.

Rob
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDesign
Not at all sir. I meant are someone's pockets being lined to edit the thread title.
You're ok in my book Bert. Sorry if you thought I was taking a shot at you dude.
Oh ok, Im sorry I misunderstood you, no problem here

Last edited by Alberto; 10-10-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
Not a problem -- if anything this writeup may help some people better undertand how timing is setup.

Different tuners have different setups for different vehicles and customers. It should also be noted that different fuel/timing systems run different (even though they are on the same vehicle platform).

This is how the timing was set in this particular application:

I started with the base timing map from the old setup (which worked great for several months) -3 deg. I slowly increased the timing in 1 degree increments doing two things:

1. Listening to the engine with the HKS Knock-Amp tool on my headphones
2. Keeping an eye on the air-fuel

After a pull the torqe curve was looked at. Because the engine sounded great (no knock whatsoever) a degree of timing was added.

This processed continued until the slightest bit of knock was present which also was where the engine did not gain any more torque. I think it is valid to mention (for those that do their own tuning and have heard their engine knock) that with the Knock-Amp and headphones you can easily hear knock a good 2deg timing worth before you would hear it externally / by naked ear.

At this point we are done making timing pulls and the timing is decreased back between 1 to 2 degrees (this is the optimum timing for this engine and octane).

After the dyno session the customer and I took the car out on the street for a street tuning / check up session. This is where we apply street loads to the vehicle and double check the tune. Here I fine tuned the setup and was pleased to note that I did not hear any knock through the headphones even under extreme high-gear load.

This is how we set the timing. I think it is also valid to note that I spoke with Sharif and he noted that there was no sign of detonation on the pistons or cylinder walls.

Hope this helps,
Interesting. When I purchased UTEC and the Tuner Reg. Pro from you, (because you said TurboXS was out of the standard Tuner Reg-note for those who aren't from the area-TurboXS is right around the corner from AAM) you never hooked the headphones up while tuning my car.

I guess my NA goals weren't as important to you. I bet the tuning charge was the same per hour though.

Last edited by BobbyRitz; 10-10-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM
SpeedDesign

Oh ok, Im sorry I misunderstood you, no problem here
Right on.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Ryan, I always appreciate your input. My point is that there are ways accomplish goals without unneccessary or duplicate costs. I won't go into specifics, but I've spent more than enough money with Mike. He knows it.

I hope that your "staying" doesn't cost you considerably more than it should.

Rob
Rob,

Thanks for the support bro. I've been through the details with Mike, and everything's level. If it wasn't, trust me, I wouldn't be sticking around...
Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
BobbyRitz

Rob,

Thanks for the support bro. I've been through the details with Mike, and everything's level. If it wasn't, trust me, I wouldn't be sticking around...
I know you are a smart guy. I appreciate how you and Brent continue to push the envelope. I just hope you push with the right guy.

Brent's in good hands now.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
BobbyRitz

Bert-

I didn't mean to not include you in the "pushing of the envelope" statement. Your car is SILLY! We'll soon talk about my plan...

Last edited by BobbyRitz; 10-10-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow just got a call from Osix-the OP had originally been banned for "other things". His ban was set for 10 days. His ban is now permanent, he received the message on his screen after checking the status of his ban. I really hope he didnt get banned because of this thread and him expressing his opinions. We can all share issues/diagreements/opinions and still discuss things like adults. That really upsets me, we have people that sign up on this site who dont even have Z's and do nothing but argue/personally attack others in the street racing section and contribute nothing, now a member has been permanently banned
First off, I did not ban him. I can tell you his ban had nothing to do with starting or posting in this thread. It was becasue of some racial slurs made towards some other members. Just trying to clear up the situation and dispell the notion that mods are evil and we go around banning people for no reason. If someone gets banned they deserve it usually.

Last edited by ZU L8R; 10-10-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow just got a call from Osix-the OP had originally been banned for "other things". His ban was set for 10 days. His ban is now permanent, he received the message on his screen after checking the status of his ban. I really hope he didnt get banned because of this thread and him expressing his opinions. We can all share issues/diagreements/opinions and still discuss things like adults. That really upsets me, we have people that sign up on this site who dont even have Z's and do nothing but argue/personally attack others in the street racing section and contribute nothing, now a member has been permanently banned
I already stated that he wasn't banned for anything in this thread. If you must know he was banned for racial slurs directed at another member. I'm not going to repeat the comment or say who it was directed at, but it was over the line and completely uncalled for.
HE WAS NOT BANNED BECAUSE OF ANYTHING IN THE THREAD!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 AM
in2therain3

Well, I am going to get my car tuned at AAM. Theyy are still good in my book so we'll see how it goes!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never said he was banned because of this thread guys. I didnt know why because it wasnt told to him, and it was weird because his ban went from temp to permanent. I can understand where you are coming from....
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
maybe you guys should pm failsafe and ask him and call off the witch hunt as to how it became permanent
OMG I am a genius
Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am all for people giving their opinions on their specific dealings with shops. Good or bad, sponsor or not. First hand reviews can help other members on the forum and I am all for that. I think when people read a number of threads about the same shop they should be able to figure it out for themselves.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe
If you must know he was banned for racial slurs directed at another member. I'm not going to repeat the comment or say who it was directed at, but it was over the line and completely uncalled for.
Did he call someone a "cracka ***-cracka" ? ... cuz that'll do it everytime.

Sorry had to lighten things up ... I would agree with Berto in one of his previous comments. Mike (Osix350Z) was probably in a state of mind where he shouldn't have been posting and just sleeping it off. He's actually a cool guy.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:05 AM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by in2therain3
Well, I am going to get my car tuned at AAM. Theyy are still good in my book so we'll see how it goes!
good luck. You might end up needing a oil pan spacer, bigger injectors and a fuel return before you get out of there. That's only assuming your horsepower goal is 400whp.

Quick Reply: Special $10,000.00 Turbonetics kit?!