Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Hey Sentry, got a few more questions for you

I was really thinking...

Let's say I get a Vortech Tuner kit for my revup G35 and buy the necessary components for the fuel system.

But instead of purchasing an engine management system such as UTEC, I tune this setup with Technosquare via ECU reflash & dyno tune (which is also considered a EMS, right?).

Would you see any problem with this? I have never heard of anyone with a G/Z FI doing this.

I live about 30 minutes away from Technosquare, so if I could go that route, it would really be a good thing for me. Besides, getting a UTEC is seems somewhat pointless since I probably would not do the tuning myself.

Not only that, but TS offers that killer deal of an after reflash for only $150.

But this sounds too good to be true. There has to be some sort of problem with this idea. People are spending thousands for EMS like F-CON and 1000+ for UTEC. Spending around $800 with the reflash & dyno tune with TS sounds a bit fishy to me.

The only downside I see with going with only a TS reflash is the lack of flexibility & tuning "on-the-go", which isnt really an issue with me since I live so close to TS.

Sentry, thanks for any feedback. You've been of great help.

that really is going to be a pain in the *** to tune on the dyno. Every time you want to make a small adjustment to fuel or timing, you'll pull out the ECU, plug it into a computer, make the adjustments, then put it back in the car. You should at least get something to let you adjust fuel with. People have done things like have the timing set by the ECU via a flash, then adjust the A/F with an emanage ultimate, SS box, or even SAFCII.

The SAFCII can fool the ECU into getting a different MAF voltage and can work out ok as long as the ECU flash's fuel map is within the ballpark of where it should be.

if you really want to use the ECU, wait for the COBB Access Port to become available in a few months. That should be a nice method
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to Technosquare a while back . They said they COULD flash for the stock Vortech kit . If I remember right , several guys tried it and they ended up lean on the top end . VRT and JWT TT used a flash and the SS box . Ive seen several of thier SS box maps from a couple of cars . There is no tune in the maps untill later in the rpm and boost range . So they flashed for the tune till they felt the ECU couldnt measure the air any longer .
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, thanks alot Sentry & Booger. I get the limitations of the ECU now.

I think instead of going with the TS reflash, I will just make the jump to UTEC when I have all my NA/Bolt-On mods; that way, I will save money from an unnecesary TS reflash, since I'll be going FI in the future.

As far as EMS, I'm definately going with UTEC.

One last thing: As far as UTEC, will this itself be a good enough EMS for timing, AF, and everything else required? It seems to be the most popular, by far.

I've tried doing my research on Hydra, AEM, Haltech , and F-con. As far as these that I just mentioned, I can imply that these are alternatives to UTEC and do the same job as the UTEC, but in a more advanced or less-advanced manner.

And as far as SAFCII & Emanage Ultimate, I have no idea what they do. Are these just another alternative to UTEC?

For simplicity & finances, I think I will just go with UTEC as my EMS, which seems to be the only management system required. It seems to adjust anything needed in timing and fuel, and any other important factor in Forced Induction.

This is one damn great thread, and im sure it will help alot of future Vortech Z/G owners!

I still have a few years left until I pay my car out, so I will not be going FI for a couple of years. But I want to understand the process as much as possible, so I don't go into FI blindly.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 05-22-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I see, thanks alot Sentry & Booger. I get the limitations of the ECU now.

I think instead of going with the TS reflash, I will just make the jump to UTEC when I have all my NA/Bolt-On mods; that way, I will save money from an unnecesary TS reflash, since I'll be going FI in the future.

As far as EMS, I'm definately going with UTEC.

One last thing: As far as UTEC, will this itself be a good enough EMS for timing, AF, and everything else required? It seems to be the most popular, by far.

I've tried doing my research on Hydra, AEM, Haltech , and F-con. As far as these that I just mentioned, I can imply that these are alternatives to UTEC and do the same job as the UTEC, but in a more advanced or less-advanced manner.

And as far as SAFCII & Emanage Ultimate, I have no idea what they do. Are these just another alternative to UTEC?

For simplicity & finances, I think I will just go with UTEC as my EMS, which seems to be the only management system required. It seems to adjust anything needed in timing and fuel, and any other important factor in Forced Induction.

This is one damn great thread, and im sure it will help alot of future Vortech Z/G owners!

I still have a few years left until I pay my car out, so I will not be going FI for a couple of years. But I want to understand the process as much as possible, so I don't go into FI blindly.

Utec is a piggyback and the Hydra is a full stand alone EMS. The Hydra is on another level. Tuning is very straightforward since you can put the results and the system does the tuning necessary to adjust the AF you want across RPM range. You can play with the cams to lower the powerband and expand it, which you cannot do with the Utec.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Hexxum001

Wow!! This is a great thread sentry. Now that I am going FI, I need to hang out here on my350z more often. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is much appreciated.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:02 AM
9kFever

Such a great thread! I had a Vortech on my s2000 at 350whp (dynapack) on stock boost. Wanted to go turbo on my Z but it just seems way more problematic. Going to go Vortech in late august. 400+
Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Partyboy25

sentry65, you get to run your car at the track yet??? Very interested in some times
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Barzten1

What should my fuel pressure read with the CJ return fuel system? Its at 44psi right now.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:30 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barzten1
What should my fuel pressure read with the CJ return fuel system? Its at 44psi right now.
From what Ive found . The lower you can run it the better . For me , it seem to start better at 44psi than 48psi . The CES light goes off once in a while with it lower also . Im running the AAM return and 550's , but it shouldnt make a diff.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 AM
imalazeeass

wow very interesting.. thanks for the write up..

edit* nevermind, found it in your post

Last edited by imalazeeass; 06-06-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 AM
TimeAttkZ

This is going to be my bible when I go FI.
+1

I cannot even begin to tell you how much that write-up helped me. Im going with the vortech very soon and now I feel confident in my set-up.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 PM
skaterbasist

Hey Sentry,

Im just curious as of why you went with the CJM Stage 2 instead of Stage 1?

Stage 1 seems to be enough for what you are pushing. That and, I don't see where they sell stage 2.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

can i run 440cc, utec, and tuner kit to get 325whp and be fine? I dont want to do a return kit or walbro.

(yes its been brought up by some shop people, but i want and outside opinion)
Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're right i didn't really need the stage 2 hard line. I had fuel pressure issues though which turned out to be the fuel pump assembly, but before I replaced that I figured I'd try the stage 2 line just in case that's what it was. I'll need the stage 2 line anyway for down the road

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
can i run 440cc, utec, and tuner kit to get 325whp and be fine? I dont want to do a return kit or walbro.

(yes its been brought up by some shop people, but i want and outside opinion)
I doubt it. You probably won't have a strong enough way to send the fuel to the injectors

I'd stick with what works which seems to be either:
-the full kit's fuel system
-return system, walbro, and possibly larger injectors
-650cc injectors and walbro since Jeremy from Performance Factory says that combo has worked out well for his vortech installs

Last edited by sentry65; 06-06-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM
TimeAttkZ

My FI plans are finally being put into motion:

HKS true dual exhaust (already have)
UTR resonated test pipes (already have)
Motordyne 5/16th iso-thermal spacer (already have)
Utec
Vortech tuner kit
upgraded 3.12 pully/belt
rc 550 injectors
walboro fuel pump
oil catch can
oil pan spacer and tap (not sure)??
1 step colder snpark plugs
Defi gauges - A/f, boost, oil temp

This set-up should be good for 400whp and pretty reliable for a daily driver yea ??

Maybe slim koyo radiator and JWT clutch and flywheel later on down the road.

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 06-08-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Barzten1

Originally Posted by TimeAttkZ
My FI plans are finally being put into motion:

HKS true dual exhaust (already have)
UTR resonated test pipes (already have)
Motordyne 5/16th iso-thermal spacer (already have)
Utec
Vortech tuner kit
upgraded 3.12 pully/belt
rc 550 injectors
walboro fuel pump
oil catch can
oil pan spacer and tap (not sure)??
1 step colder snpark plugs
Defi gauges - A/f, boost, oil temp

This set-up should be good for 400whp and pretty reliable for a daily driver yea ??

Maybe slim koyo radiator and JWT clutch and flywheel later on down the road.
I think you'll be more than pleased with this setup and very safe. That clutch and flywheel combo will make you even more happy.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:14 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't it be a good idea to do the Koyo before the install? I fear afterwards will lead to dismounting the bracket and blower (I am not sure of the difficulty involved)
Old 06-09-2007, 04:55 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so how much money do you have in the total system with everything. I am leaning to vortech, just curious on price. How does this compare to procharger, I have heard good things about there product too.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
xxbboiixx

awesome i got three more months to go!!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Drewer

Default Thanks Sentry!

This thread is just what I was looking for! I ordered my tuner kit from Performance Factory a week ago. I didn't notice any mention of spark plug heat ranges? Do you use one step colders? I threw 'em in back at 60k miles because I was getting some knock with my TS reflash, but will be putting in new ones when I install the vortech. Also, I think it was you the recommended against the tapped oil pan spacer for the oil return line? Was I correct?

Here's my plan.

My current mods: (Bye bye Ztube/pop charger!)
1/2" motordyne isothermal spacer
Borla exhaust
TS reflash

On the way:
vortech tuner kit WOOT WOOT!

Need to get/do:
3.12 pulley
walbro 255lph pump
injectors (I was thinking 440cc or 550cc. . .but maybe go with Perf Factory 650ccs?)
TS reflash (back to L-Spec, raised idle)
zeitronix gauge(s) for primary stuff (for AFR, Boost, EGT monitoring)
defi's or something for secondary stuff (temps, etc)
poor man's oil catch can (probably do that this week)

Still researching:
UTEC or HKS, will probably go with the UTEC.
oil pan spacer/tapped oil pan/finned pan (like APS?)
stainless oil lines
SGP valve body + trans cooler
Power Steering cooler?
bigger oil cooler?

I'm getting a lot of input. . .this is awesome! Do you have any moresuggestions?

Thanks!

-andrew

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions